Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Am I alone in really not being bothered by the gambling? Cheeky fuckers, but I get the 'it's all over now, might as well make a few quid' impulse.
Just adds to the general feeling of grubbiness and that they think they can do whatever because the rules don't apply to them.

I mean I'd no idea -- like most people I imagine -- that there were specific laws against this but anyone with half a brain would know how dodgy it all looks.

Am I alone in really not being bothered by the gambling? Cheeky fuckers, but I get the 'it's all over now, might as well make a few quid' impulse.

It's the equivalent of insider trading, which has been illegal in the UK since 1980, and which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment.

Unfortunately I believe it only applies to securities and equities trading. But this is morally the same.

It's the equivalent of insider trading, which has been illegal in the UK since 1980, and which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment.

Unfortunately I believe it only applies to securities and equities trading. But this is morally the same.
Yeah I get that. But I don't really care that much. I can't see this swaying many votes, though as Sue says, adds to the general air of incompetence.

Reactions: Sue

Not so much, betting firms can quite frankly get to fuck so it’s more or less victimless but it does speak a lot to how slimy they are to use insider knowledge to do it

Looks live Gove is back on the coke.

Michael Gove has suggested there is still time for the Conservatives to stage a late comeback and win the election, claiming: “We’re not in ‘Fergie time’ yet.”

Have to warm to the anti-monarchist Reform candidate:

Reform has been urged to suspend its candidate in one of Scotland’s key battleground seats after reports that she posted “sickening” comments about the monarchy.

Joanna Hart, who is standing in Aberdeenshire North and Moray East, apparently posted “fuck the Royals”, “make Lizzy the last”, and compared the royal family to “benefit scroungers” on social media during the Platinum Jubilee celebrations three years ago.

Not so much, betting firms can quite frankly get to fuck so it’s more or less victimless but it does speak a lot to how slimy they are to use insider knowledge to do it

Who wouldn’t have done it though. If I had some insight info about that I would find someway of putting a bet on relatively anonymously.

I don't think I've seen such a bad Tory campaign since 97, admittedly they are batting on a dodgy wicket, dodging bouncers all over the shop, but they are truly awful this campaign - what with the D-Day fuck up, ministers basically throwing the towel in (Shapps basically admitting they were going to lose) 70 odd not even bothering to run again (and not because they were old and due to retire) . Boris recording a load of endorsement videos then fucking off on another jolly. Reform giving them a proper kicking in polls - no enthusiasm amongst their base vote.

It is glorious to see.

Reform has been urged to suspend its candidate in one of Scotland’s key battleground seats after reports that she posted “sickening” comments about the monarchy.

Joanna Hart, who is standing in Aberdeenshire North and Moray East, apparently posted “fuck the Royals”, “make Lizzy the last”, and compared the royal family to “benefit scroungers” on social media during the Platinum Jubilee celebrations three years ago.
consistent with their hate for foreigners

The betting thing is a criminal offence - so there will be pressure on the tories to sack the candidates implicated. looks like their campaign director was in on it was well. So a significent sleeze scandal with two weeks to go before the election will just add to the whole misasma of incompetance, chaos and corruption. Whatever policies or attack lines they had lined up for the next 48 hours will now be submerged beneath questions about dodgey betting - and will further demoralise the party.
Kudos to Sunak though for making the torys appalling postion pre-election declaration even worse. That is a special skill.

Last edited:
The betting thing is a criminal offence - so there will be pressure on the tories to sack the candidates implcated. looks like their campaign director was in on it was well.

Yes, it's now been confirmed the campaign director is also being investigated.

I wonder how many more are going to end-up being investigated.

Starmer has said if it was one of his candidates they would be suspended.....'our' would have been more appropriate wording

What the fuck is a leave of absence anyway. You’re on annual leave, you’re sick or your AWOL.

My reform candidate in Mitcham and Morden is one Ruth Price. No picture available. No biography. No Facebook presence I can find and they have deleted their twitter account.

Can anybody help unmask my local bigot?

#franklyfurious - I thought Reform were patriots :hmm:

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I'd have thought a campaign director, basically directed campaigns - doesn't strike me as the best use of his time to not direct campaigns during a campaign.:hmm:

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I'd have thought a campaign director, basically directed campaigns - doesn't strike me as the best use of his time to not direct campaigns during a campaign.:hmm:
Oh I dunno. With the way it's gone so far, they're probably best just letting the whole thing die on its own.

Back
Top Bottom