Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russian Long Range Bombers disrupt UK airspace

Provided we weren't fussy about who we wanted to attack.

And why should we be? We've probably got enough warheads that if we were to shoot them all off it would obliterate human civilisation as we know it worldwide, so what's the point of even aiming? The people who get the direct hits will be the lucky ones if anything.
This is my position,attack on North Korea?Russian border,attack on Iran again Russian border.I sincerely hope I'm fried in the first attack I'm not looking forward until some dick figures radio 4 has been off the air for 24hours before attacking Russia which will result in incineration all round.MAD? indeed it fucking is.

Do we think the Russian Bombers were carrying weapons?

unlikely. our intercepting fighters might see them and might react rather badly to seeing them, and secondly because weapons have a negative effect on range and speed, and this was a looooonnnnng trip... over the north cape of Norway, out west of Ireland, then into the English Channel as far as Bournemouth-Cherbourg - and then the same route all the way back via the same route.

its possible of course, the types of missile they carry - nuclear or conventional - can be housed in the bomb bay as well as on external hardpoints. its been reported, but not confirmed, that as well as the two BEAR H, the sortie included two MIG-31 FOXHOUND long range fighters and two IL-76 MIDAS tankers. i wouldn't be surprised if the FOXHOUND's were armed, the RAF Typhoons certainly were...

Couldn't happen. Our navy doesn't have any planes.

736 NAS. The film will be set in Culdrose rather than Miramar.

cu140017004.jpg

I used to live near RAF Binbrook. It was fantastic, and noisy, when they scrambled these to intercept the Russians:
images
images

I once saw a 9 ship formation go up. Nice!

My father's cousin bought one, and two cockpit sections, when they were taken out of service. Even Jeremy Clarkson only has one.

I spent the summer of '86 at Binbrook doing shit clerical work for 5(AC) when I was an RAF sponsored student. They did give me a ride (and 5 minutes stick time!) in a T5 though. I recall being perturbed at the extended alchemy required to start the engines and get even a modest proportion of the avionics working. If it came to an invasion the "serp i molot" would have been flying over Piccadilly Circus by the time they got a 4 ship airborne. I imagine it would be bureaucratically unthinkable to put a student (I wasn't even commissioned at the time) at the controls of an EF Typhoon today!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom