Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rugby World Cup 2023

Will Jordan is the joint highest try scorer in a single World Cup now with Habana and Lomu - fine company to be in

The final was the other night. NZ-Ireland. Tis a shame NZ lost that first game against France so messed up the draw.

They'll demolish the Saffas in the final.

He definitely decided early on that Argentina were infringing at the breakdown and they found it hard to adapt to please him. Not that it made a difference to the result

The final was the other night. NZ-Ireland. Tis a shame NZ lost that first game against France so messed up the draw.

They'll demolish the Saffas in the final.
France vs SA was pretty special too. A shame they weren't the two semis. England and Argentina aren't in the same class.

Reading the comments on that article, Kitson is being destroyed for his claim the ref couldn't communicate with the Argies. He refs them often downunder. Seems a bizarre take on what sounds like just a dominant performance from the best side in the world.

This bit's weird too.

"A semi-final involving Ireland and Wales really would have been some occasion."

Shoddy journalism.

Another Guardian journo blaming the ref's lack of Spanish for the result. Don't get it. English is the language spoken in all rugby matches I've ever watched.

When Gardner did, he spoke in crisp English, which is Montoya’s second language. It felt like World Rugby had made a mistake by not giving the match to a referee who could also talk Spanish. Although New Zealand were so good it wouldn’t have made so very much difference if Gardner spoke it like Gabriel García Márquez.

It's worth noting their coach, Cheika, doesn't speak Spanish either

Just catching up on the coverage, NZ voluntarily played with 14 men for the last five mins as they couldn't be arsed sending their yellow carded player back on. That's just cruel :D And then went through the phases after the 80 minutes instead of kicking it out. Ouch.

Another Guardian journo blaming the ref's lack of Spanish for the result. Don't get it. English is the language spoken in all rugby matches I've ever watched.

It's worth noting their coach, Cheika, doesn't speak Spanish either
Make your mind up you were criticising the English refs for not speaking Spanish earlier in the tournament

So, predictions for tonight?

Of course the Saffas will bring their customary physicality, but I suspect they will also use a canny kicking game and aim for their incredible wings to run rings around England's pair of old warhorses.

And if somehow England sneak it after playing the game of their lives/getting lucky with a red or something, I predict a switcheroo re-run of 2019, nowt left in the tank and humbled in the final.

Make your mind up you were criticising the English refs for not speaking Spanish earlier in the tournament

I'm sure you cant be arsed finding it and i definitely can't but I don't recall saying anything like that. I did mock Wayne Barnes for his dodgy GCSE French.

These are international players. It's truly clutching at straws to blame a ref's inability to say 'stop coming in at the side' in Spanish on the beating that happened last night. They know the rules.

So, predictions for tonight?

Of course the Saffas will bring their customary physicality, but I suspect they will also use a canny kicking game and aim for their incredible wings to run rings around England's pair of old warhorses.

And if somehow England sneak it after playing the game of their lives/getting lucky with a red or something, I predict a switcheroo re-run of 2019, nowt left in the tank and humbled in the final.
Probably a bit like the pool stage win over Scotland I reckon.

Also, England have not peaked yet … :p

Their tournament form has been a very gradual, sometimes imperceptible, incline, with tangible improvement in cohesion and defensive strength, decent game management and decision making (drop goals in Argentina game and QF).

NB for future quoters this is not a prediction of an England win! :mad::D

Whoever wins, almost everyone will be supporting NZ in the final..?
have to say over the years i've moved from a big fan of NZ rugby, I spent a wonderful two years in Hamilton watching the Chiefs and Waikato to having a very strong dislike of the All Blacks (i actually like England more than the NZAB). If the boks win the WC it will be well deserved.

Whoever wins, almost everyone will be supporting NZ in the final..?

No, I don't think so. But this might be the last time we see such a dominant NZ side for a while. They're losing 10 of their best players to the Japanese league apparently meaning they won't be eligible to play for the ABs (Smith, Barrett, Mounga amongst them). Cant really blame them. Their careers are short so might as well cash in.

have to say over the years i've moved from a big fan of NZ rugby, I spent a wonderful two years in Hamilton watching the Chiefs and Waikato to having a very strong dislike of the All Blacks (i actually like England more than the NZAB). If the boks win the WC it will be well deserved.
Maybe I’m buying into the PR but the ability of the Bok shirt to unite what is a fairly divided nation is a wonderful thing, and Siya Kolosi is a great man. Plus the anthem with multiple languages represented being belted out by the entire team regardless of their own background.

Back
Top Bottom