Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Road safety: UK set to adopt vehicle speed limiters

:confused:
Shouldn't be on the road then. I also don't think there's a vehicle on the roads today that aren't capable of 60mph.
mf7700s-features-hydraulics-activetransport.jpg

Lucky 2 hats pointed that out for you then.
No, it's what I meant to post in the first place. I'm hardly going to defend idiots driving unsafe vehicles on the road any more than I'm going to defend twats who go so fast they smash into the back of cars.

Tractors, like other slow moving vehicles, have (should have) flashing amber lights to alert you. Don't guess the nuns did.

I'm sure Calamity1971 can defend herself but as she's getting somewhat piled on, I just wanted to say that it's completely reasonable not to expect a car to be doing 30 on a 60 road. I have only been driving for four months, so my learning is much fresher than any of yours :D and I would have been cursed out by my instructor for doing 30 on a fast road. You're meant to keep up with the flow of traffic.

Tractors, like other slow moving vehicles, have (should have) flashing amber lights to alert you. Don't guess the nuns did.

I'm sure Calamity1971 can defend herself but as she's getting somewhat piled on, I just wanted to say that it's completely reasonable not to expect a car to be doing 30 on a 60 road. I have only been driving for four months, so my learning is much fresher than any of yours :D and I would have been cursed out by my instructor for doing 30 on a fast road. You're meant to keep up with the flow of traffic.
Thank you polly. I was unable to try and reason effectively due to the flow of traffic coming my way ;)

How do you spot those over the peak of the blind summit/round a corner/emerging from a concealed entrance/in patches of thick fog?
I have only been driving for four months, so my learning is much fresher than any of yours
I've only been driving 33 years. If you are not learning all the time then something is very wrong.

I've only been driving 33 years. If you are not learning all the time then something is very wrong.

Oh get over yourself :D It was clearly tongue in cheek. I have in fact learned far more on the road than I did while 'learning', because life doesn't always correspond to the rules, eh.

Before people start hailing compulsury speed limiters as the new Messiah or think it's going to be a game changer in actual road casualty figures, it is worth keeping in mind that they will be completely incapable of curbing or stopping inappropriate speeding. All they can do is stop cars going over the legal limit.

As it has been pointed out before, inappropriate speeding and over-the-legal-limit speeding are by no means one and the same, and in countless different scenarios speed limiters will be completely powerless to prevent speeding-related accidents, or have the slightest clue how to idenfity inappropiate speeding in the first place.

:confused:
Shouldn't be on the road then. I also don't think there's a vehicle on the roads today that aren't capable of 60mph.

Bicycles are a vehicle, very few cyclists can reach 30mph except on downhill stretches.
What speed can mopeds get to? I think they are limited to 25mph?

Then there's horses, i dunno if they legally count as vehicles but I'd guess so.
Pedestrians may also be in the carriageway if there's no pavements, though they are not vehicles.

None of the above allowed on motorways, but alot of roads with 60mph limits will have the above, potentially.

You can crash into a car that's going too slow and it wont have been due to speeding...

There is very little worse on the road than someone driving at half the speed limit. The one thing worse is when the slow coach decides to drive at half the speed limit on a motorway. People here stick to the 120km in the outer lane and between 80 and 100 km in the inside lane. But anyone going a fair bit slower wont be in sinc with the rest of the traffic movement. It really can and does cause problems and accidents.

You can crash into a car that's going too slow and it wont have been due to speeding...

There is very little worse on the road than someone driving at half the speed limit. The one thing worse is when the slow coach decides to drive at half the speed limit on a motorway. People here stick to the 120km in the outer lane and between 80 and 100 km in the inside lane. But anyone going a fair bit slower wont be in sinc with the rest of the traffic movement. It really can and does cause problems and accidents.

This is not what the eu research editor posted says.

Back
Top Bottom