Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Road safety: UK set to adopt vehicle speed limiters

If you go really fast, the white lines down the middle appear to join up. Which is freaky like Trevor on mad mode! So to separate the white lines at higher speeds, they'd have to be repainted slightly further apart. That's more than a million miles of motorway (I've no idea) that would need to be repainted, overnight, in the dark. It's a right faff.
Oh, I thought they'd have to paint it lilac or something. Who's Trevor, is he a 'professional body' ?

I like how you've just invented a conversation that without any interaction somehow ends with you declaring, 'ANOTHER CASE CLOSED!'.
It's an invitation to prove the points wrong with actual research rather than individual anecdotes and opinions. I've backed up my points, many times.

So what have you got?

It's him MO. And if you dare to question or ridicule it, you get a warning. He doesn't know how to debate, he just knows how to issue warnings when someone calls him out on his nonsense.
Stop disrupting this thread with your boring, ad hominem cross-thread beef. And, no. Don't bother answering.

Stop disrupting this thread with your boring, ad hominem cross-thread beef. And, no. Don't bother answering.
I am absolutely going to answer, because IT'S A FACT! You spit your dummy out when things don't go your way, and issue warnings. Forums are supposed to be about debating, but whenever anyone puts forward a suggestion that you don't like, you shut them down with a warning or some other such petulant BS. We're supposed to be able to discuss things like adults, but when YOU are involved, there's only one outcome, either you 'win' or the ban hammer comes down.
I've been contemplating it for a while, but I've now made the decision. Congratulations for being the first person I have EVER put on ignore!
Edit: Don't bother answering, you're on ignore!

I am absolutely going to answer, because IT'S A FACT! You spit your dummy out when things don't go your way, and issue warnings. Forums are supposed to be about debating, but whenever anyone puts forward a suggestion that you don't like, you shut them down with a warning or some other such petulant BS. We're supposed to be able to discuss things like adults, but when YOU are involved, there's only one outcome, either you 'win' or the ban hammer comes down.
I've been contemplating it for a while, but I've now made the decision. Congratulations for being the first person I have EVER put on ignore!
Edit: Don't bother answering, you're on ignore!
OK and off you go for a week. You've been doing this on multiple threads and you've been warned enough times to stop.

It's an invitation to prove the points wrong with actual research rather than individual anecdotes and opinions. I've backed up my points, many times.

So what have you got?
Those individual anecdotes and opinions are from people who drive. As far as I'm concerned, that qualifies. Maybe not as a number cruncher but as a road user with valuable input on speed limiters and whether good or bad.

Those individual anecdotes and opinions are from people who drive. As far as I'm concerned, that qualifies. Maybe not as a number cruncher but as a road user with valuable input on speed limiters and whether good or bad.
Of course they count, but surely you'd agree that independent studies have to trump personal opinions and one-off anecdotes?

No. Independent studies? How independent are they?
Well, go back and have a look and decide for yourself - I've posted up a multitude in this thread!

Here's one to start you off:

Speed and accident risk
A higher speed increases the likelihood of an accident. Very strong relationships have been established between speed and accident risk: The general relationship holds for all speeds and all roads, but the rate of increase in accident risk varies with initial speed level and road type. Large speed differences at a road also increase the likelihood of an accident. In addition, drivers driving much faster than the average driver have a higher accident risk; it is not yet evident that this is also the case for the slower driver.

Assessing potential effectiveness of speed reduction measures
Based on work by Nilsson in Sweden, a change in average speed of 1 km/h will result in a change in accident numbers ranging between 2% for a 120 km/h road and 4% for a 50 km/h road. This result has been confirmed by many before and after studies of different speed reduction measures. This relationship is used by other Scandinavian countries and by Australian and Dutch safety engineers.

A similar relationship is assumed in Britain, based on empirical studies by Taylor, where changes in accident numbers associated with a 1 km/h change in speed have been shown to vary between 1% and 4% for urban roads and 2.5% and 5.5% for rural roads, with the lower value reflecting good quality roads and the higher value poorer quality roads.

1 km/hincrease in speed→ 3% increase in accidents

In practice the relationship is more complex. The exact relationship depends among many other things on speed level and road type.

The higher the speed, the steeper the increase in accident risk

The relationship between speed and accident risk is a power function: With increasing speed, the accident risk increases more as the absolute speed is higher.

Speed and accident risk - Mobility and transport - European Commission

And:

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/drivers/inappropriate-speed.pdf

Well, go back and have a look and decide for yourself - I've posted up a multitude in this thread!

Here's one to start you off:

Speed and accident risk - Mobility and transport - European Commission

And:

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/drivers/inappropriate-speed.pdf
Yes, I've read that. But GPS speed limiters is bollocks.
Let's talk about the knackers who drive at 50mph on the motorway as well. Sometimes driving slower is a bigger hazard.
To be honest, I gave up on this thread when it turned into a pollution argument rather than a speed issue.

Let's talk about the knackers who drive at 50mph on the motorway as well. Sometimes driving slower is a bigger hazard.
To be honest, I gave up on this thread when it turned into a pollution argument rather than a speed issue.
Well the increased speeds that some people have been arguing for does equal extra pollution.

Sometimes driving slower is a bigger hazard.
That doesn't appear to be the case for most drivers:
A number of studies looked at the risk of the individual driver in relation to speed. These studies compare the (estimated) speed of drivers who were involved in an accident with the average speed at that particular road. The first studies date from the 1960 and 1970s in the United States. They found the both the faster driver and the slower driver had a higher risk of being involved in an accident. This was known as the U-curve speed-accident relationship. More recent studies, mainly conducted in Australia [36] and Great Britain [58] also found a higher accident risk for the faster driver. However, they did not find evidence for a higher accident risk for the slower driver.

That doesn't appear to be the case for most drivers:
Ask any driver on here. 60mph road, you go at say 50-60, over the brow of a hill you've got someone doing 30, you have to slam the brakes on. This is more dangerous! I've many more examples. It's not a simple solution, argue all you like, if you've got a dickhead at the wheel whether it be too fast or too slow, youve still got a dickhead.
I still think that this thread should be about speed limiters and not pollution as this complicates matters.

Ask any driver on here. 60mph road, you go at say 50-60, over the brow of a hill you've got someone doing 30, you have to slam the brakes on. This is more dangerous! I've many more examples. It's not a simple solution, argue all you like, if you've got a dickhead at the wheel whether it be too fast or too slow, youve still got a dickhead.
I still think that this thread should be about speed limiters and not pollution as this complicates matters.
I've no doubt that some slow drivers cause accidents. But studies seem to conclude that it's the speeding twats who cause the majority of them.

Reactions: Chz

That means you are going too fast. What if you went over the brow of that hill and a tree has come down, or there's an animal, tractor or some other obstruction?

Your speed should be dictated by the conditions which includes how much forward vision you have.

The danger in your example is not caused by the driver doing 30 in a 60 but by the driver who is going too fast to be able to slow down/stop in the distance they can see.

Speed limiters would have no effect on this situation obviously.

(I drive regularly)

People undoubtedly drive too fast and a speed limiter is a good idea in theory, but the technical challenge of the system getting confused suddenly should not be hand-waved away. If Boeing can make an aircraft that can’t tell the difference between a stall and non-stall in certain situations then I’m not convinced we’re yet at the point where a speed limiter won’t suddenly think I’m on the 30mph road that runs parallel to the motorway instead of the motorway itself. After all, my GPS frequently makes that exact mistake.

All the overrides in the world are no comfort if there is a sudden, potentially catastrophic, event such as the car hard braking me. The whole point if why high speeds are dangerous in the first place is that it takes a human 0.5 seconds to react to an event. In a complex situation like this, it will then take another 0.5 seconds to realise what is actually happening and do something about it. In that second, the car will already have slowed from 70 to 30 and somebody driving too close behind — a common occurrence, particularly if I’m actually driving at 70 rather than 80 — will already have gone into the back of me.

Saying “but studies!” doesn’t help resolve whether the risk is real until this thing has had significant real-world exposure, because a low probability event will not show up in studies. A 1-in-1000000 mile event will only have a 30% chance of showing up even once in 1000000 miles of study but will happen many times a day in reality due to the sheer number of miles driven. That’s a classic low power study error.

I've no doubt that some slow drivers cause accidents. But studies seem to conclude that it's the speeding twats who cause the majority of them.

Surrey Police are very much focused on people driving too slowly right now, especially those who leap in to the middle of three lanes of a 70 limit road and trundle along at 50, but also those in the ‘slow lane’ at 30-40 too. As it causes people behind to slow down, bunch up and squeeze past, all of which adds up to a massive risk to safety and an increase in pollution.

Last edited:

Aka Enough with your facts, I’m done with experts here are some anecdotes ?

Are you Micheal gove ?

So we can agree that the overwhelming evidence suggests that:
  • a blanket increase to 80mph would be a disaster
  • some reckless drivers will continue to be total cunts
  • the likelihood of the advanced speed-controlling technology cited by some is unlikely to arrive any time soon although variable lane speeds might help reduce accidents
  • new technology to catch wrong 'uns is unlikely to be implemented nation-wide any time soon
  • there seems to be a general consensus from professional bodies that speed-limiters will reduce accidents
So 70mph is is then.

You have demonstrated that this is a toxic issue which pisses off everyone, which is probably why it’s still 70 fiftyish years later.

Alex

If you're going at sixty when you can't see what's ahead then that's you driving badly, not the person in front of you.

All the overrides in the world are no comfort if there is a sudden, potentially catastrophic, event such as the car hard braking me. The whole point if why high speeds are dangerous in the first place is that it takes a human 0.5 seconds to react to an event. In a complex situation like this, it will then take another 0.5 seconds to realise what is actually happening and do something about it. In that second, the car will already have slowed from 70 to 30 and somebody driving too close behind — a common occurrence, particularly if I’m actually driving at 70 rather than 80 — will already have gone into the back of me.
It's quite unlikely that limiters will brake the car, they don't do this now. There are at least two systems that do, however: adaptive cruise control, and autonomous emergency braking (collision avoidance).

I don't really worry about this but it does have significance. The set of capabilities that could be invoked means these things are safety critical. That in turn means things like we will probably never see retrofit even if the will was there (there is little/no retrofit precedent in law - only leaded petrol springs to mind).

The lack of braking doesn't get you out of the woods though, as disabled throttle is also dangerous, just less immediately disastrous.

.......back door to variable full journey road toll charges , automated national speeding and traffic offence fines ,national automated parking fines and governmental 100% 365day vehicle tracking....... its going to be linked to the now compulsory 112 emergency modems built into every new car .....an absolute government revenue stream .....

The speed limit restrictions are just the sell

It's quite unlikely that limiters will brake the car, they don't do this now. There are at least two systems that do, however: adaptive cruise control, and autonomous emergency braking (collision avoidance).

I don't really worry about this but it does have significance. The set of capabilities that could be invoked means these things are safety critical. That in turn means things like we will probably never see retrofit even if the will was there (there is little/no retrofit precedent in law - only leaded petrol springs to mind).

The lack of braking doesn't get you out of the woods though, as disabled throttle is also dangerous, just less immediately disastrous.

I'm pretty sceptical about taking more control off the driver with these new systems. Motorway driving when it's not busy is pretty untaxing anyway. Make it even easier and people are more likely to completely lose attention.

Why Tesla got slammed for calling them an autopilot.

.......back door to variable full journey road toll charges , automated national speeding and traffic offence fines ,national automated parking fines and governmental 100% 365day vehicle tracking....... its going to be linked to the now compulsory 112 emergency modems built into every new car .....an absolute government revenue stream .....

If you've got your phone in the car when you drive they can already track you anyway.

I don't think you are right about this but anyway...

.......back door to variable full journey road toll charges

Great, I am (in principle) supportive of variable road charging.

, automated national speeding and traffic offence fines

The speed limiters would in theory prevent speeding and automated traffic offence processes sound good to me - I don't think it'll work like that though, it'll be black boxes recording the vehicle's movements, similar to tachos, which will be used for evidence in the event of a collision. Personally I would like to see a lot more drivers being prosecuted for their driving and anything that helps with that is a good thing.

,national automated parking fines

As above, I don't think it'll work like that but if every driver who blocked a pavement or parked dangerously got fined for it, they would stop and my journeys would be much improved and safer.

and governmental 100% 365day vehicle tracking.......

If you have a registered mobile phone, this is already in place. In any case ANPR already does a lot of this, vehicle movements are heavily tracked in cities. I don't like this stuff at all but I pretty much gave up on govt tracking movements when mobiles became ubiqituous.

its going to be linked to the now compulsory 112 emergency modems built into every new car .....an absolute government revenue stream .....

Dunno what you are meaning with this to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom