Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New age cosmic hippies and the far right

In fact the insistence has been that major aspects of the hippy philosophy are individualistic and ripe for co-option by the capitalist system (as we have seen). Other roots it shares with fascism and other elitist movements.

Is it that hippie values were ripe for co option, or is it that the rewards of the capitalist system are highly seductive?

They seem to be enticing even these people:

china1.jpg

Yes, as i said. An overcoming of the private nature of production and acquisition by putting them on a social footing. And values aren't free floating things that just drive society in certain directions - the communist criticism of capitalism is not a criticism of peoples values as such but of how society is materially organised and so what sort of values this organisation and the social relations it requires produces and reproduces. Criticising values alone gets you nowhere - if this is your understanding of what communism is then we're not going to get much further.

It is a philosophy or a value or whatever you like to call it, to see the promotion of the common good as the highest achievement; compared with a capitalist philosophy which promotes the right and the opportunity of the individual to maximize his position in the world, at the expense of his neighbors if that's what's required.

Is it that hippie values were ripe for co option, or is it that the rewards of the capitalist system are highly seductive?

They seem to be enticing even these people:

china1.jpg

It's that hippy values were ripe for co-option because they're highly saleable in neutered form. It happens to all youth rebellion. Ultimately, it happens to all competing values. This will likely continue until capitalism eats itself (which may have begun.) Then most of us will die.

It's that hippy values were ripe for co-option because they're highly saleable in neutered form..

I'm not sure what that means. And it doesn't seem to address the proposition that capitalist ideals seem to slowly be co opting pretty much everyone on the planet.

It is a philosophy or a value or whatever you like to call it, to see the promotion of the common good as the highest achievement; compared with a capitalist philosophy which promotes the right and the opportunity of the individual to maximize his position in the world, at the expense of his neighbors if that's what's required.
And this is a response to my post how?

e.g.: Anwar al Awlaki.

Of course, if you want really annoying kids, you have to see the fundamentalist homeschoolers kids.

I really hate those kids who think they have the right to talk to grown-ups like they're equals. Even though they're about twelve.

Hippy types have these in abundance. Either that, or those disturbingly blank kids who you think might come and burn your house down when you're asleep in bed.

I keep thinking of a clip from the Glastonbury film (the Temple one I think), with a hippy in the 70s unhappy because they are being searched more aggressively by the cops for drugs, his response is something on the lines of how it was 'fair enough for them to be searching blacks but now they're searching us whites too and we don't like it'.

I really hate those kids who think they have the right to talk to grown-ups like they're equals. Even though they're about twelve.

Hippy types have these in abundance. Either that, or those disturbingly blank kids who you think might come and burn your house down when you're asleep in bed.

I was a hippie. I'm sure that at the age of twelve, my kids would have addressed you with all the respect appropriate for your age.

In fact the insistence has been that major aspects of the hippy philosophy are individualistic and ripe for co-option by the capitalist system (as we have seen). Other roots it shares with fascism and other elitist movements.
You could argue anything is ripe for co-option for anything else. It's a non-argument. It has no proof. It's sophistry.

I could just as well argue that major aspects of leftist political development are ripe for infiltration by psychotic personalities. It's a lively discussion point. There is no ultimate answer.

Urban 75 is an odd place. It's like having a really interesting pub discussion with lots of bad tempered people who all think they are right and don't particularly like each other.

Urban 75 is an odd place. It's like having a really interesting pub discussion with lots of bad tempered people who all think they are right and don't particularly like each other.

Innit. Years on this place, and I don't think I could have put it as well. Why is that? It's 2012 FFS. We are living in the uplifted consciousness of the 47th dimension :)

You could argue anything is ripe for co-option for anything else. It's a non-argument. It has no proof. It's sophistry.

I have argued that consumer capitalism has the ability to co-opt most, if not all forms of rebellion. It then sells them back to us in neutered form.

I was about 27 when I settled on the Dhansak as the mainstay of my Indian takeaway ordering.

Back
Top Bottom