Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2011

Duane Eddy, eh? I didn't even now he was still alive, I must admit. I wouldn't miss the chance to hear this if I was going:

'40 Miles Of Bad Road' is another favourite. Bit jealous now I must admit.

Garcia Lorca gets it on the w**th*r front -- the sitting down (or not) factor is massive.

That's IT from me on that one though** ....

**fer now .... ;)

:D

although I actually woke up in a very wet tent this morning
- in case anyone's forgotten - IT'S SHIT.

I'm watching the appalling Isle of Wight footage and was pondering how many acts I'd be willing to stand in the pissing rain for and there weren't many. Morrissey, Pulp, Bouncy. Certainly not the fucking Script.

IOW really is fucking bobbins, isn't it? :D

Spent the afternoon on site today. Whole lotta rain, but the grass is all nice - drivers are being good and staying on the tracks.

One thing to note... Cockmill Meadow... There's a massive new recycling centre up at the top. I'd guess 5 times the footprint of the Green Barn where they used to do it. That, along with recycling crew camping, means that the top 3rd of Cockmill is non-public - from just above the wires.

Also, there isn't - as yet - any trackway laid on the late area peak access route. 10-20k people down that strip of grass, if it's wet, could get verrrry muddy. All the more reason to get in there before the railway track access closes.

Around the site... The Common have got their act together and are busy getting the bull ring finished. It looks rather nice. Some raked seating in it by the looks of things. Could be a nice spot to rest legs and take in their entertainment.

Arcadia's spider is looking a bit more spider than last year. Lots of high wires going up, so expect some "above your head" action during their show.

New mega wide stairway under construction from Railway track to Block 9, and the existing access ramp off the track into Block 9 has been doubled in size. Looks like they're really taking the whole late area pedestrian flow thing very seriously.

Other & West Holts stage frames and PA hangars are up. Still no sign of what's going to be on the corner where the Queens Head used to be.

Despite the rain today, overall, the site is looking great. If anything, I'd say the build is ahead of schedule compared with recent years.

I'll be back on Friday - can't wait. :cool:

Thanks for the report .

Do you think I can get a pass for a crew Hovercraft ?

With Glastonbury its all extremes { going on 32 years experience }

I reckon they should move Glastonbury to Henham Park { where Latitude is held } as it has far better drainage and less extreme weather swing although they do have a strange way they do Roast Chicken { they boil it - they claim its a old Suffolk Custom - sounded bullshit to me but I am not a Historian } although they still call it Roast Chicken.

It can piss down all the time and it just drains away { although on average it has not been all that wet - compared to Glastonbury }

I don't mind getting wet but after two heart attacks I can assure you that its bloody murder if its very muddy as its touch and go if I can get from A to B just as I get exhausted very quickly and I just don't have the strength any more and will not move far from the crew camp.

this weather on the run up is disasterous! i dont know how long it takes for the water to drain from the ground, but if the reports i am looking at are even remotely true then it could definately mean mud, no sitting on the dry ground watching the randlom entertainers, more getting to where you have to go without enjoying the shenanigans inbetween :( .

i am trying not to be pessimistic, bloody difficult not to after the last 24 hours weather tho. I cant remember what the reports said last year at this time, however i do know that by the time of leaving i knew it was trainers weather. at the moment, its Welly material and the next 5 days appear to be keeping the moisture in the ground weather.

bah, i definately dont do the ideology of many who think its glastonbury, its fun no matter what the weather. worrying times for some :)

People are defo more skint than they were. Oxfam recently revealed that they have nearly 5 1/2 thousand people on their waiting list for Glastonbury and are not going to open it for fear of crashing their servers.

Thats 2 1/2 time the number needed to steward it.

GL... I wouldn't fret yet.

Bear in mind that before the public arrive, the site is very resilient. The grass is almost completely untouched, and with it not being covered in tents, drainage is good.

Even when the site is fully occupied, two days of sun sorts it out (e.g. 2005). During the build it can heal much more quickly.

So there's still all to play for. If Monday and Tuesday are mostly dry days, the site will be great when the gates open. And it can easily take the odd downpour during the main proceedings.

Just as long it's no 2007, we'll all be fine. And at the moment, I reckon that's likely. :cool:

GL... I wouldn't fret yet.

Bear in mind that before the public arrive, the site is very resilient. The grass is almost completely untouched, and with it not being covered in tents, drainage is good.

Even when the site is fully occupied, two days of sun sorts it out (e.g. 2005). During the build it can heal much more quickly.

So there's still all to play for. If Monday and Tuesday are mostly dry days, the site will be great when the gates open. And it can easily take the odd downpour during the main proceedings.

Just as long it's no 2007, we'll all be fine. And at the moment, I reckon that's likely. :cool:

I'm with you on this one, very trying when very wet. This is primary reason I steward it. I'd rather work a bit and get in for free, it moves my commitment to my shifts and away from the festival. Once my shifts are over I do what I like, without the feeling I should tough it out to get my moneys worth.

I have two spare tickets for "Michael Eavis: Festival Life", 7.45pm tonight at the Purcell Room, Southbank Centre. It's a talk he's giving as part of the Ray Davies curated Meltdown Festival.

Free to whoever wants one or both. I'll have them with me, so you'll just need to get yourself there by a sensible time and find me.

Well it's a poor thing when you are including thermal vests (2) in the Glasto packing :(

but I am still looking forward massively:)

I do sympathise with you WBC Worker, my husband has kidney disease problems now and he will find walking very hard work if it is muddy - we will have to modify any big plans we may have.

That's why we are doing Tagerine Fields this tiime, less to carry, nearer car park etc. Any other Urbans taking the soft option? :D

I arrived at 4am this morning, site is wet but quite manageable, today is pretty overcast with the odd threatening cloud but a few sunny patches. Fingers crossed people :)

Greenpeace field is looking like it's gonna be excellent, good crew here :cool:

I have just been reading an old copy of 'Q' Festival Daily -22/6/2007 - funny how old newspapers always seem so more interesting a few years on :D

Also, there isn't - as yet - any trackway laid on the late area peak access route. 10-20k people down that strip of grass, if it's wet, could get verrrry muddy. All the more reason to get in there before the railway track access closes.

I was at a meeting today where they said they will be putting trackway on the steep and damp areas of that track before gates open, and will put trackway over the whole thing if it does end up muddy, so sounds like they're on it.

ooh exciting reading this thread! thanks for the updates paolo et al.... The weather does factor in, specially as its bubs first big festi, but we shall bring appropriate stuff to make the most of whatever comes our way.

I have two spare tickets for "Michael Eavis: Festival Life", 7.45pm tonight at the Purcell Room, Southbank Centre. It's a talk he's giving as part of the Ray Davies curated Meltdown Festival.
That was lots of fun - thanks paolo! :) What an odd and engaging man!

I was at a meeting today where they said they will be putting trackway on the steep and damp areas of that track before gates open, and will put trackway over the whole thing if it does end up muddy, so sounds like they're on it.

Good to hear. Was a bit worried for a moment.

Back
Top Bottom