Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2023

I would go again, but only off site camping, the getting everything in when you have kids and and out is the killer.
Or hire a campervan with big awning? Nearer than off-site.

I'm a convert to this now. No queuing, no lugging. I'd hire one if I wasn't able to borrow one from family. I think my days of lugging stuff into Glastonbury are hopefully over.

Oh one more thing,, was funny walking around Sunday to see price changed on food stalls, some went up and some went down all depending on stock left I guess.

You'd think Glastonbury would be big enough to say actually no you can't come by helicopter. They supposedly pay lower fees because everyone wants to play so why not be slightly more green.
For some reason I thought this was AFTER the gig. But you may have it right…

Home. Tired. About to have a bath. This thread has gone from 4 pages to 19 * nice!

Enjoyed crew camping, but it had its' downs as well as ups.

An observation for 2023.

Usually, Glasto is usually a great place for chatting to randoms.

However, I found this year that people were a bit less engaging and not as willing to chat. Was it just me or did anyone else who was there find that too?

Anyway, in the words of the late,great William, more later.

Home. Tired. About to have a bath. This thread has gone from 4 pages to 19 * nice!

An observation for 2023.

However, I found this year that people were a bit less engaging and not as willing to chat. Was it just me or did anyone else who was there find that too?

All I did was meet randoms and chat shit , mostly on my own at night as the ex had my son nights and I did some days 😂

An observation for 2023.

I chatted to lots randoms of varying ages and various parts of the world.
Including artists. One at the campsite, two after their gig and one before his gig.

Only one guy at Guns n Roses wasn't particularly chatty. But he was really into them... and he did still answer back.

Enjoying Mahalia's set on the iPlayer but once again vocals seem low in the mix :( It's very frustrating.
Her vocals were fine live. I'd never heard of her before so has no expectations when she came on, then loved every minute. It's very unusual for me to stay for a whole set, I can't remember the last time, but there was just no question of getting up and moving on.

I tried to go and see Elton John, but even half an hour before showtime the field was busier than I’ve seen it for a long time, so I decided to do something else. It struck me that I hadn’t been to visit William of Walworth’s memorial properly yet, so I wandered up to it, and got to watch and listen to the crowd for Elton John from across the valley, which was pretty interesting.

In death as in life, he was unable to roll himself a spliff, so I rolled him one, just to keep that Glastonbury tradition alive, and sat there for a good while remembering him. Here’s the view from his memorial from this evening from my visit.

View attachment 380748

The setting sun was shining through two stones onto the memorial too, which was lovely.

View attachment 380749
I was about as far away as possible, at the sign above the Park, looking across at the crowd filling space that's always been tents.

RIP William, we missed you mate.

The idea of just parking , setting up my tent next to the car and then getting into the site for the day is the way forward for me.

when on site I mostly set off for the whole day and only go back to the tent once or twice for something.

only real issue would be passing security each day getting in... :p

no reason why you couldn't carry a small 2 man tent as a base once in and chuck some spare clothes in etc.

i would have done it this way this year, but only got ticket in re sale... and every site was sold out.
Top tip: don't fuck about with taking and using a two-man tent to store extra clothes or whatever in, use a property lock-up as 'base camp'. Oxylers near the Other stage is really central and good for that kind of thing. Unless you mostly hang out elsewhere. But there are other property lock-ups. Honestly, bring a big holdall or rucksack with your anoraks, jumpers, wellies/walking boots, medication/blister plasters, big bottle of sun cream, box of wine/case of beer* (I don't know what the rules are for punters, I'm usually crew). Put it in one of the property lock-ups near the action. Then you don't have to trek three miles across site to get back to your tent if it starts raining, or if you're out late and it starts getting chilly. Property lock-up crews don't mind what I think of as frequent flyers, some folk are amusing and keep us entertained with their drunken antics at 2.17am. It can get a bit boring.

100% more busy everywhere for me, this is why i avoid the big DJ's set and big names in the comedy tent, etc

I would go again, but only off site camping, the getting everything in when you have kids and and out is the killer. hard to enjoy when your physically fucked, but had a blast and saw and did some amazing things.
tbh I thought the opposite, it was almost empty. I spent Friday wandering from stage to stage wondering where everyone was, never saw a big crowd (except EJ in the distance)- I thought most were quite small, the markets always queue free, none of the bars seemed as heaving as previous years, there was no waiting in line for water, no crushes on the bridges, even trudging along the main drag wasn't a problem. Last year seemed overfull, this year a bit sparse.

Last edited:
You'd think Glastonbury would be big enough to say actually no you can't come by helicopter. They supposedly pay lower fees because everyone wants to play so why not be slightly more green.
Getting on and off site can be a logistical nightmare if you have the sort of schedule to keep that the biggest acts have.

It has a temporary heliport that becomes the busiest in Europe for a few days each year. £8k each way from Battersea, hard to get space as all booked up months in advance.
A helicopter pilot friend reckons the busiest single day is race day at Silverstone…

Getting on and off site can be a logistical nightmare if you have the sort of schedule to keep that the biggest acts have.

A helicopter pilot friend reckons the busiest single day is race day at Silverstone…

Yeah, a number of operators set up shop just 5 miles from the track and charge a couple of hundred quid a head to avoid the jams getting in and out. Something that doesn't happen at Glastonbury, yet...

Yeah, a number of operators set up shop just 5 miles from the track and charge a couple of hundred quid a head to avoid the jams getting in and out. Something that doesn't happen at Glastonbury, yet...
From wiki:

“The site was the world's busiest heliport for one day during the 1999 British Grand Prix, handling 4,000 aircraft movements in one day. The airfield used six air traffic controllers and a continuous message broadcast (ATIS) service”

Assuming a 12 hour day that’s roughly one aircraft movement every 10 seconds. Insane.

tbh I thought the opposite, it was almost empty. I spent Friday wandering from stage to stage wondering where everyone was, never saw a big crowd (except EJ in the distance)- I thought most were quite small, the markets always queue free, none of the bars seemed as heaving as previous years, there was no waiting in line for water, no crushes on the bridges, even trudging along the main drag wasn't a problem. Last year seemed overfull, this year a bit sparse.
you are in a minority on that one judging by comments online!

Back
Top Bottom