Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2022

I've only just found out that Volodymyr Zelensky spoke by video link before the Libertines played the Other stage. A friend saw him. Wow, would have loved to have heard that.

Should have been on the Pyramid really imo. Greta Thunberg was (I was there for that one, quite an experience, sombre but moving and inspiring).
I heard Zelensky. It was fucking weird.

Just listened to it now. Brief wasn't it. In what way was it weird? SpackleFrog The crowd seemed to respond positively.

Must have been odd to have Libertines start up afterwards?

Still think it would have been better suited to the Pyramind. I still think of the Other stage as the NME stage and it doesn't seem so 'political' somehow. More mainstream or something. Dunno, might be talking rubbish.

There was an odd comment about how people at Glastonbury have the most freedom so understood how Ukraine was suffering. Had to laugh at that. He appealed as well for everyone to pressure politicians to do more.

The speech wasn't particularly weird in itself - just out of context and didn't make sense in context of Glastonbury. It shouldn't have been included. Maybe a spokesperson from a refugee organisation or an organisation providing aid to Ukraine, maybe a Ukrainian aid worker would have made sense. This did not.

I got up too late and missed DAKHABRAKHA who I'd heard were quite interesting, so I was a bit disappointed. I heard they finished their set saying "ARM UKRAINE" though so was a bit less disappointed.

Just listened to it now. Brief wasn't it. In what way was it weird? SpackleFrog The crowd seemed to respond positively.

Must have been odd to have Libertines start up afterwards?

Still think it would have been better suited to the Pyramind. I still think of the Other stage as the NME stage and it doesn't seem so 'political' somehow. More mainstream or something. Dunno, might be talking rubbish.

Some people clapped. Some people were just looking at each other.

It was really weird to have a President of a nation state addressing Glastonbury. Felt like a sea change in the festivals culture.

There was an odd comment about how people at Glastonbury have the most freedom so understood how Ukraine was suffering. Had to laugh at that. He appealed as well for everyone to pressure politicians to do more.

The speech wasn't particularly weird in itself - just out of context and didn't make sense in context of Glastonbury. It shouldn't have been included. Maybe a spokesperson from a refugee organisation or an organisation providing aid to Ukraine, maybe a Ukrainian aid worker would have made sense. This did not.

I got up too late and missed DAKHABRAKHA who I'd heard were quite interesting, so I was a bit disappointed. I heard they finished their set saying "ARM UKRAINE" though so was a bit less disappointed.
Yes, I see what you mean, a refugee organisation would perhaps have been better. Yes, odd comment juxtaposing freedom at Glastonbury with the situation in Ukraine, I guess.

I didn't get to see any Ukrainian music, but did chat to the people selling stuff in aid of Ukraine. Unfortunately their stall wasn't very prominently placed (in Green Futures), and they seem frustrated at their lack of custom.

Yes, I see what you mean, a refugee organisation would perhaps have been better. Yes, odd comment juxtaposing freedom at Glastonbury with the situation in Ukraine, I guess.

I didn't get to see any Ukrainian music, but did chat to the people selling stuff in aid of Ukraine. Unfortunately their stall wasn't very prominently placed (in Green Futures), and they seem frustrated at their lack of custom.
I wanted to go and see Kalush Orchestra (Ukrainian winners of Eurovision) but they were playing something like 1 till 2am, and it would've taken me 45 mins to an hour to get back to where I was camping, and then I had a shift starting at 8am so had to be up around 7am.

That's one of the annoying things about Glastonbury, that lots of the acts only play once, so if you miss them because of a timetable clash with another band, or because of a sort of clash, where the previous band you've watched are on the other side of the site to the one you want to watch next, or they're playing at stupid o'clock, or whatever, that's it, you've missed them.

Dakhabrakha are really interesting musically (although politically I have read some interviews in which their views pre-invasion are quite dismissive of the anti-Maidan East and the bloke fought in Donbas) . I 'discovered ' them around April and in my view, they are better live than on album.

This song really grabbed me

That was fun.

They made the traffic invisible and faded the police and heavy looking security into the background.. So I found it very calm, also cleaner in the markets because the litter crews were emptying bins and picking.

Did I imagine that there were shorter queues for food, also smaller crowds round the bars and the bus? Which I interpreted as a clear, visible sign that people weren't spending so much this year. Made me wonder what they were doing with the extra hours they gained, and whether that was why there seemed to be so many people trundling about on the big paths. As a theory it's a bit of a stretch, based on just my observations, so I'm curious what others saw.

Little Simz was spellbinding.

Tested negative Tuesday, but that might be a bit premature.

I didn't go in many indoor venues, just a couple, and they weren't very full. And this wasn't by design, just how it happened. But I still had loads of close contact/hugs, shared drinks/spliffs, and being squashed shoulder to shoulder in crowds. Hey ho. I decided not to let Covid really change much about how I do festivals, even though I'm still wearing a mask in shops (and seem to be about the only one lately).
Actually, I decided not to do Glastonbury different to usual, since I'd just had Covid, and it didn't seem so worth being so careful. At Bearded where I actually caught Covid, I avoided all the sharing of drinks etc, but did spend time dancing indoors 🤷‍♀️

I'm sure I've said it before and I'll say it again, all of Elbow are great musicians, in their own right, the music is not super outstanding by any means but for me it's Guy's lyrics that I'm in love with.

"You are the only thing in any room you're ever in."

"Yes I guess I'm asking you to back a horse that's good for glue and nothing else."

"We made the moon our mirrorball, the streets an empty stage, the city's sirens violins."

ETA
Damn it I’m trying to be positive today

Last edited:
Hmmm, yeah.

What did you think of Jeremy Corbyn speaking? I was in favour of that. Got stuck in a crush in the markets though and missed it.

Edit: I mean in 2017 or whenever it was.

I think that was quite different to be fair - not least because whatever people think of him Corbyn is on the left and broadly in line with the kind of left liberal hippy values Glasto espouses. Whereas Zelensky is a centre/centre right liberal, at least as far as I know, although I'm sure someone will point out he draws support from further right.

28 years was my last tilt at Glastonbury, hitched there, climbed the wall, found uni mates without a mobile phone
Lost my mind to orbital and the Sunday night search for final hurrah stimulants while dodging hoards of rip off robbing scallies in various nefarious dark areas
Your last was my first. '94?

Boomtown got my attention years later, only festival to tickle the required anarchy and oblivion philosophy
Me too, think this year is my 6th or 7th. It has surpassed Glastonbury in my affections and been my favourite festival for a while now. Although this year's Glastonbury was very special, it'll take some beating.

Still a long way behind but hopefully the stuff stays on iplayer for a while - am enjoying Robert Plant while I do bits and pieces :)
Does anyone know how long iPlayer of G-Fest 2022 does actually stay for, this year?? :confused:

(OK, and to ETA, I did see the positive 30-day answer to this from cupid_stunt , before :cool: )

On-site, I missed a lot, largely through injured feet/slow progress on my part from place to place ( :( ), but also, a lot more!! :oops:, because of all those shifts, and all that cider :thumbs: and all those very usual!! Glasto distractions .... :weed: and thing .... ;) :eek: :cool: -- after all, this year of Return, it really was a fucking dry and warm and particularly un-muddy Glasto FFS!!!, after all!! !!!!! :oldthumbsup:

Caught a fair bit of -- what was it again?? ;) -- Glastonbury 2022 as well, mind! :) :) :)

Everybody shou;ld have been there!! :)

Moar later, etc. :D ;) :p :beer:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom