Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2011

1985 was my worst year and the only time I have left the site early; by Sunday lunchtime we had just had enough of being up to our knees in liquid mud and we packed up and went home (I was still a punter in those days). 1997 and 1998 came close, though!

I also was a Punter in 85 as well and it was around that time I tried to join the WBC but they would not allow me in as I was not in a Trade Union { even although with my Job there was no trade union I could join } - anyway I kept trying and was accepted in 1989 and have been a volunteer ever since then and while other years may have come close - for me with the better facilities in the WBC Crew camp the later years were not as big a impact.

So you make a good point - we may all be in a field together but far better being a volunteer/crew than a Punter.

I am afraid that I would have to think really hard if I wanted to ever attend as a Punter - its bugger all to do with the money its the facilities.

So you make a good point - we may all be in a field together but far better being a volunteer/crew than a Punter.

I am afraid that I would have to think really hard if I wanted to ever attend as a Punter - its bugger all to do with the money its the facilities.

Same here now, for both of us, and we're only newbies as workers :D

For us another important factor is TIME -- getting to arrive much earlier/stay a bit longer :oops:

Anyone guessing whos playing as 'special guests' at the green fields?

Also anyone driving from London to the Festival on Sat 18th June? My friend and I are looking for a lift and are happy to chip in.

2010 Festival clean up. Remember the 2007 images?

Check out the 2010 site on Tuesday.

Actually hard to believe its Glastonbury.

People took it away this time. Having wandered around the site at 7am Monday morning I can assure you that the people that brought stuff and the people that took it away were different.

Thanks to r0cky who did the editing - here is a shot I bet very few people have seen

This is Glastonbury 2010 sometime at the start of June

WILLIAMS.jpg

Like this interview from a couple of years ago, especially love his answer on taking stuff home.

http://www.festivalalerts.com/lates...rle--Glastonburys-recycling-man-talks-rubbish

Not seen that before.

"I think that’s why it’s still the best festival because tens of thousands of people work here to make it so and give their all because it isn’t just making a few fat cats rich.”

I interviewed the Arcadia chaps yesterday, and they said the same thing. They can only do the full spectacular at Glastonbury, because so many people want to pitch in and help. And here on urban, I think we do pretty well with that. Loadsa crew. :cool:

Paulo (or anyone else in the know) assuming I haven't lost the little terrorist by then and assuming he's still awake I'd like for him to see the Arcadia show one night. Any recommendations on the best way to do that? As in, time to get there, where to go etc... he's 10 but quite small for his age (although he's also quite light so I will probably be able to get him onto my shoulders). I think he'll love it but I know how busy it gets and I do worry seeing as he's not mine to break, or lose! I'm in two minds about whether or not to even try tbh, although I think it would be a shame to miss it.

according to the timestamps on the photos we were in that area watching the shows from about 8.30 till about 10pm last year, and it wasn't at all crowded or pressured. For some of the time we were sitting on the grass, watching the entertainment while the toddler scampered about.

mg... The show is at midnight as I'm sure you know. I'd take him there before the controlled access kicks in (2300). Have a wander round Shangri-La, the Unfairground etc. It shouldn't be too manic then, as newbie says. If you got there at say 2230, and can make that lot last an hour or so, you can go and pick your spot in Arcadia.

I'd expect their field to start filling from 2330. It's a 360 degree stage this year, so in theory any spot will do. But I'd recommend the side *away* from where the controlled access will flow in. See the site map to see where that will be.

If you're interested, here's some chat/interview stuff I did with Arcadia on Friday:

http://www.glastoearth.com/news/2011/arcadiaglastonbury2011

mg... The show is at midnight as I'm sure you know.

er, maybe I got the wrong field? the photos show the amazing electric arc people, a huge construction belching fire and the big round thing covered in acrobats. Wasn't that Arcadia?

Whatever it was was quite sufficient to overfill my my god, that was a bit good!!?!! buffers for one year :cool:

er, maybe I got the wrong field? the photos show the amazing electric arc people, a huge construction belching fire and the big round thing covered in acrobats. Wasn't that Arcadia?

Whatever it was was quite sufficient to overfill my my god, that was a bit good!!?!! buffers for one year :cool:

No, you had it right.

They had the Lords of Lightning do a slot earlier on each evening. But the main show is at midnight.

There's going to be more tesla coil malarky this year... They're being very tight lipped, but it sounds like it could be even more epic. :cool:

Your timestamps are off - deffo midnight for the Arcadia show (which is as you described - unmissable!!!)

You'll be fine taking the kid to Arcadia this year as it is in a much bigger field. Just make sure you have a strategy for negotiating the one-way system as outlined above. He'll bloody love it.

Your timestamps are off - deffo midnight for the Arcadia show (which is as you described - unmissable!!!)

not convinced, but you might be right. the first, where it's not even remotely dark, is timestamped 20.36 and the other, towards the end of the set, is at 10 o'clock, and we saw all three shows between those two snaps.

er, the software seems to have posted them in reverse order

Attachments

• IMG_5928.jpg
    IMG_5928.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5991.jpg
    IMG_5991.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 5
not convinced, but you might be right. the first, where it's not even remotely dark, is timestamped 20.36 and the other, towards the end of the set, is at 10 o'clock, and we saw all three shows between those two snaps.

er, the software seems to have posted them in reverse order
Ah, maybe it's as paul0999 said, they have an earlier warm-up show that I didn't know about.

Ah, maybe it's as paul0999 said, they have an earlier warm-up show that I didn't know about.

Definitely this. I saw the Lords of Lightning just after dusk with very few people around and then again as part of the main show at midnight when it was rammo!

Rather confusingly the signs for the one way system to the late night area have been painted up to show it starts at 10pm rather than 11. :confused:

worthyjuneweb11.jpg

Rather confusingly the signs for the one way system to the late night area have been painted up to show it starts at 10pm rather than 11. :confused:

worthyjuneweb11.jpg

Oh FFS.

I'm going to email the office (unless you know someone is already on it).

The only explanation I can think is that they're signposting it an hour early, to account for when people set off rather than arrive.

not long now and really looking fwd to it.. tho as i am working with the wbc, cant plan any of the festival til i get my shifts on arrival.

the nighttime entertainment is my poison at glasto, as i have done previously, i would rather miss all bands and enjoy a late night early morning rave up :oops:)... tho not daft enough to miss david bowie 2000!!!!!!!!! HA, sorry but my favourite live gig of all time! :).

but despite all this and the amount of time i have spent up there.. (i reckon too much time in nyc downlow x 2 or 3 nights last time).. i realise how much i have missed in shangra la.. the excitements creeping in, so much to do, so little time, :) bring it on!

Not been around much for Strawberry Fair reasons.

Listening to a YouTube of 'Mr Blue Sky' (by ELO :oops: :oops: ) to psych myself up for w**th*r positivity beyond mid month.

Apparently there was a r**nst*rm of 2005 proportions near Pilton today (?) -- lets hope that's signs of the non existent God shooting his bolt too early ... :D

Glasto geeks, look at this:

worthyjuneweb6.jpg

Is it me, or has there been a *massive* expansion of cow sheds up at the farm?

Me either! Was that the year that the lightning hit the Speigel Tent?

I don't think it was the spiegel tent but another in the dance field but yeah it was 05.

I remember going down to the bottom of pennards and seeing the divers. I was so sure they would find a body.

Then 2007 happened and the rain in 05 seemed like a bit of a shower. : D

Back
Top Bottom