Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2023

Bahrain’s main DRS zone shortened​

The FIA has shorted one of the three DRS zones at the Bahrain International Circuit for this year’s season-opening grand prix. The first DRS zone of the lap between turns three and four and the second one on the straight between turns 10 and 11 remain unchanged, while the longest of the DRS zones on the pit straight has had its activation point moved 80 metres further down the straight. Previously the activation point had been positioned 170m after turn 15, the final corner of the lap, and now it will be 250m after the corner but still before the pit lane entry. The shortening of the DRS zone indicates that the FIA believes that this year’s technical regulations have made it easier to overtake at the track.

The FIA and F1 previously announced there will be an adjustment of the DRS zones for the following four grand prix at Jeddah Corniche Circuit, Albert Park in Melbourne, Baku and Miami. They aim to make overtaking more or less difficult at the tracks, based on last years races. This will be done by altering the position of “detection and activation zones” at the tracks and include the reintroduction of a fourth DRS zone in Melbourne. Aside from the DRS zones, no major changes have been made to the configuration of the Bahrain circuit, which has already been the venue of pre-season testing for the F1 teams. The same DRS zones are also used for the Formula 2 and Formula 3 support races at the track.

Lewis Hamilton title chances written off “unless something weird happens”​

Lewis Hamilton won’t win the F1 championship this year and Mercedes are “at least” another year from challenging for the drivers’ title, says Sky’s Ted Kravitz. After Hamilton’s hopes of a record-setting eighth championship vanished at the controversial 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, he spent last season battling with his car’s performance and was helpless as Max Verstappen racked up a second consecutive title.

The 2023 season-opening F1 Bahrain Grand Prix is just days away but there is an air of caution, rather than bullishness, around the Mercedes camp. Kravitz said about Hamilton’s hopes of an all-time record eighth championship: “Is that actually going to happen? Because unless something really weird happens, Lewis is not going to win an eighth championship this year, is he? The word at Mercedes is ‘eventually’. Toto said at the launch: ‘We have to have a car capable of challenging for the championship eventually’. “George Russell said used the word ‘eventually’ twice in one answer! Eventually, eventually… They are still catching up from being nine, 10, 11 months behind on last year’s car.”

Hamilton went winless for the first time in his career last season, and Russell took Mercedes’ only victory at Interlagos - but Kravitz believes that even that accomplishment was an outlier. He said: “Red Bull lost all discipline in Brazil. They fought between themselves, they were off the pace, everything went badly, they shouted at each other. How quickly things can go right again - Red Bull went to Abu Dhabi and said ‘we are going to dominate again’.

[I'm backing Lewis again in 2023, my thinking is this, if someone else wins races other than Max the bet is cancelled. I can't pick Max so I have to go with Lewis who is by far the best driver in F1. If the Mercedes car is as bad as some are claiming then so be it, but Mercedes as a team have the ability to put it right. I can't really complain as for years I had the best driver and loads of free lunches :) ]

Now TV have again offered me the monthly Sports membership at £21.99 a month instead of £34.99 when I logged in.

Not sure if anyone else uses it but the offer is there for me at the moment so may be for you.

Oscar Piastri, Martin Brundle, six months to impress

Aussie rising star Oscar Piastri will get just six months to prove that he belongs in Formula 1 before he risks being turfed out, according to Sky Sports F1 commentator Martin Brundle. Piastri has enjoyed an illustrious junior career on his way to the premier class, with three successive championships, including rookie titles in Formula 3 and Formula 2. Despite spending a year on the sidelines as an Alpine reserve driver, he remains one of the most highly anticipated rookies in recent years thanks to his sparkling CV. But his successful journey to Formula 1 will count for little when the lights go out in Bahrain, and Brundle says the first races of Piastri’s season could make or break his career. “I think it’ll depend on how it starts for him, the first few races,” he told Fox Sports. "If he gets some good results in and he gets some confidence, then there’ll be a big shunt somewhere that’ll catch his attention inevitable. But if you start with some tangles in the first few corners and a bit of reliability, maybe you can’t find your way one weekend and your chin drops, that’s a very telling moment then as to whether you can turn that around and keep your self-belief.”

Brundle said Piastri would be given the same cutthroat treatment as any other rookie once he takes his place on the grid and would have six months at most to prove himself as F1 material. “They’re probably given, if you’re going to be generous, the first half of the season to find their way, but in the second half of the season they need to be on it or they’re going to get changed,” he said. “There are no excuses in Formula 1. There’s nowhere to hide. You’ve got to deliver.” But few doubt Piastri is made of the right stuff to make his F1 career a success.

The 21-year-old Melburnian has been praised for his maturity in and out of the car, and Brundle said there was little reason to doubt that Piastri would thrive in motorsport’s top tier. “He comes very highly rated,” he said. “I like talking to the lad. He’s very bright, he’s very focused extremely focused, from what I can work out and a lot of people where he’s come up through the ranks have spoken incredibly highly of him. Formula 1’s a different game longer races, bigger cars, heavier cars, especially at the start of the race. He’s got Lando Norris across the garage, a team like McLaren with high expectations. So he’ll need all of that confidence. [But] all the signs and everything I’m told is that he’s the real deal.”

Despite the satisfaction of finally finding a place on the grid, Piastri’s streak of title success will come to a shuddering halt this season, with McLaren tipped to fare poorly early in the season based on the MCL60’s pace during pre-season testing. It could be a bitter pill for him to swallow considering Alpine, which brought him into F1 as a reserve driver and intended for him to one day race in one of its cars, appears to have taken a step forward from the midfield. The spectacular meltdown in relations between Mark Webber-managed Piastri and the Otmar Szafnauer-led Alpine was one of last season’s biggest talking points.

However, Brundle doubts that Piastri would be keeping the sliding-doors moment in the back of his mind, with his focus turning to maximising his performance instead. “That’s just such old news now,” he said. “If an Alpine breezes past him, maybe in commentary people are going to be saying, ‘That’s a bit painful; maybe he wishes he was in the other car’, but they took their decisions based on the information available to them. I know the backstory, but it’s old news. It’s all about tomorrow now, not what happened last year on contracts.”

Lewis Hamilton fires back at Jenson Button and Damon Hill over Mercedes contract claims​

Lewis Hamilton has denied claims he is holding off signing a new deal until Mercedes proves they can win races. The assumptions were made by British F1 champions Jenson Button and Damon Hill ahead of this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix. Hamilton was expected to put pen to paper on a new agreement over the winter but talks are yet to be finalised. However, the seven-time champion suggested he was not ready to walk away from the Silver Arrows despite concerns the team’s one year blip could become long-term.

Hamilton told reporters “It’s mostly people creating rumours without facts. Never helpful. You would have thought they would both know me by now. I’ve been with Mercedes since I was 13. We had a difficult year last year and I’m still here. And whether or not we have a difficult year this year, I’ll still be here. We fight as a team.” Mercedes boss Toto Wolff admitted the pair had sat down for “a first chat” over a potential new partnership. However, the Austrian denied that the negotiations were “dragging on” with the new season almost here.

Wolff added there was not a firm deadline for talks to end and stressed the pair were eager to “find the right time”. Damon Hill thinks Hamilton us unlikely to remain in the sport “to pick off podium places” and tipped the Briton could be “less minded” to sign a deal if Mercedes lacked pace. Button mirrored the remarks as the 2009 champion revealed Hamilton’s delay was likely down to his fears over the team’s future. He told reporters "It can only be because he’s wondering how competitive they will be. Is he going to sign if the car is uncompetitive because he wants it to be quick again before he retires?”

FP1 results
Red Bull set the pace during the first Free practice session of the Formula 1 2023 season as Sergio Perez clocked 1:32.758 seconds to set the fastest lap at the Bahrain GP 2023. Sergio Perez's teammate and defending champion Max Verstappen was third fastest with a timing of 1:33.375. Aston Martin's Fernando Alonso was nearly half a second off the pace with a timing of 1:33.196 seconds.

Mclaren was the third fastest car on the grid as Lando Norris set a timing of 1:34.165 seconds to take the fourth spot in the FP1 standings. Ferrari's Charles Leclerc was the fifth fastest driver with a timing of 1:34.527 but did so on medium tyres. Mercedes drivers didn't use the soft tyres as well during the session and took as low as 10th and 11th spots with Lewis Hamilton finishing ahead of George Russell with a timing of 1:34.917 secs.

Alonso's teammate Lance Stroll clocked 1:34.298 seconds to take the sixth spot while confirming his return following a pre-season accident, which rendered him uncertain for the Bahrain GP. Stroll didn't start his first flying lap with less than 25 minutes left in the session. Haas's Kevin Magnussen (1:34.402 secs) was seventh fastest while his teammate Nico Hulkenberg was down at 14th with a timing of 1:35.043 secs. The two Alfa Romeos, Zhou Ganyu and Valtteri Bottas, took the eighth and ninth spots respectively.

1 Sergio Perez RED BULL 1:32.758 20 LAPS
2 Fernando Alonso ASTON MARTIN +0.438 21 LAPS
3 Max Verstappen RED BULL +0.617 20 LAPS
4 Lando Norris MCLAREN +1.407 20 LAPS
5 Charles Leclerc FERRARI +1.499 16 LAPS
6 Lance Stroll ASTON MARTIN +1.540 16 LAPS
7 Kevin Magnussen HAAS +1.644 19 LAPS
8 Zhou Guanyu ALFA ROMEO +1.817 18 LAPS
9 Valtteri Bottas ALFA ROMEO +1.931 19 LAPS
10 Lewis Hamilton MERCEDES +2.159 13 LAPS
11 George Russell MERCEDES +2.208 19 LAPS
12 Oscar Piastri MCLAREN +2.239 23 LAPS
13 Yuki Tsunoda ALPHATAURI +2.257 19 LAPS
14 Nico Hulkenberg HAAS +2.285 21 LAPS
15 Esteban Ocon ALPINE +2.347 19 LAPS
16 Nyck De Vries ALPHATAURI +2.644 24 LAPS
17 Pierre Gasly ALPINE +2.697 21 LAPS
18 Logan Sargeant WILLIAMS +2.991 23 LAPS
19 Alex Albon WILLIAMS +3.260 14 LAPS
20 Carlos Sainz FERRARI +3.314 20 LAPS

Christian Horner tipped to quit Red Bull for mega F1 job by Bernie Ecclestone​

Red Bull principal Christian Horner has been tipped to quit his role and take up a big job in F1 by Bernie Ecclestone. F1 supremo Ecclestone made his billions during his four-decade long career as the boss of Formula 1 and still offers his advice to chiefs. However, the 92-year-old departed his role in 2016 when the series was taken over by Liberty Media. Despite moving away from the sport Ecclestone's expertise are still sought after and he remains close to Horner and other members of the F1 hierarchy.

He told the Independent during an interview: “I speak to the president, Mohammed [Ben Sulayem]. He gives me a call about different issues." Ecclestone's successor is Stefano Domenicali, who was team principal at Ferrari for six years between 2008 and 2014. The Italian was appointed the Formula One Group CEO to replace Chase Carey - the immediate replacement of Ecclestone. But the ex-F1 supremo doesn't think that Domenicali is the right man to lead F1 forward as he added: "Stefano has never been any closer to things beyond the fact that he once worked for Ferrari. Apart from that, he didn’t know what happened behind the scenes. I never had somebody beside me. I wasn’t a teacher. I didn’t ever intend to be.”

Horner has been involved in F1 since Red Bull bought the Jaguar F1 team in 2004 and made their debut the following season. Ecclestone believes the 49-year-old is the man who should be the figurehead of F1 as the popularity of the series continues to grow. Ecclestone added: “If you had to pick anyone today, I’d say he would be as good as there is. He listens well. He sorts out what’s rubbish from what isn’t.”

Horner has spearheaded the last two driver's world championship campaigns by Max Verstappen and led Red Bull to the constructors' title last year for the first time since 2013. Whether Horner would want the CEO role is unclear after he suggested a different career path on the Diary of a CEO podcast recently. He added: "When I get to the end of my journey, I'll go away and do something completely different - I'll be a sheep farmer or something like that. But I don't see that in sight at the moment."

FP2 results
Fernando Alonso appeared to confirm that hype around Aston Martin's car this year is justified by outpacing both Red Bulls in second practice for the Bahrain Grand Prix. Alonso's time of 1:30.907 was 0.169s quicker than Sergio Perez and 0.171s quicker than reigning world champion Max Verstappen, suggesting he is in the fight for pole position on Saturday. Aston Martin's strong preseason led to suggestions the team could be fourth or third in the pecking order but in FP2 the team was far quicker than Ferrari, who many assumed would be Red Bull's closest challenger. Charles Leclerc finished nearly half a second off Alonso's best time.

Just as impressive was Alonso's longer run pace, where he matched Verstappen almost exactly, which would mean he could fight the Dutchman in the race on Sunday if it carried over. Two-time champion Alonso, 41, is the oldest driver on the grid and widely considered to be one of the best drivers of the modern era, but last won a race in 2013. He joined from Alpine for this season.
Haas' Nico Hulkenberg, who returned to F1 this year after sitting out 2021 and 2022, was fifth fastest ahead of Lance Stroll, who was 0.5s slower than teammate Alonso. Stroll is racing this weekend with pins in a broken right wrist, following surgery after a bicycle crash last month. At one stage during the race simulations that finish the practice sessions, Stroll was asked by the team if he could take a different line through Turn 1. "I can't man, I can't with the hand," Stroll replied. Pierre Gasly, who took Alonso's vacated seat at Alpine, was seventh fastest ahead of Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton.

Hamilton and Mercedes appear to be further off the pace than they feared and have a lot of work to do to challenge for a spot on one of the front two rows of the grid on Saturday evening. American rookie Logan Sargeant was 20th in the session, behind AlphaTauri's Nyck de Vries, who's also starting his first season of F1.

1. Fernando Alonso [Aston Martin] - 1:30.907

2. Max Verstappen [Red Bull] - +0.169secs

3. Sergio Perez [Red Bull] - +0.171s

4. Charles Leclerc [Ferrari] - +0.460s

5. Nico Hulkenberg [Haas] - +0.469s

6. Lance Stroll [Aston Martin] - +0.543s

7. Pierre Gasly [Alpine] - +0.568s

8. Lewis Hamilton [Mercedes] - +0.636s

9. Lando Norris [McLaren] - +0.663s

10. Zhou Guanyu [Alfa Romeo] - +0.679s

11. Esteban Ocon [Alpine] - +0.701s

12. Valtteri Bottas [Alfa Romeo] - +0.886s

13. George Russell [Mercedes] - +0.975s

14. Carlos Sainz [Ferrari] - +1.049s

15. Oscar Piastri [McLaren] - +1.117s

16. Kevin Magnussen [Haas] - +1.203s

17. Alex Albon [Williams] - +1.533s

18. Yuki Tsunoda [AlphaTauri] - +1.618s

19. Nyck de Vries [AlphaTauri] - +1.618s

20. Logan Sargeant [Williams] - +1.698s

Ah, Nico Rosberg is chuntering away on Sky.

I'm getting my nuclear-fusion-powered mute button out of its hangar.

FIA makes ruling on Lewis Hamilton jewellery dispute​

Seven-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton will not be punished for wearing jewellery at this weekend’s season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix, after a doctor’s letter was presented detailing that the 38-year-old couldn’t remove his nose stud. Hamilton and the FIA bumped heads last season after the governing body cracked down on jewellery wearing, with the Mercedes driver, as well known, being somebody who has several piercings. Whilst Hamilton removed the vast majority of his piercings last season, he was unable to remove his nose stud, with the British driver having gotten a doctor’s note which revealed that he couldn’t remove it as it could cause an infection. Hamilton was once again questioned over his jewellery, though, at the Bahrain International Circuit on Friday; however, he was once again exempted from the jewellery rules following another note from his doctor.

The new note states that Hamilton is unable to remove his nose stud as it could result in disfigurement to the 103-time race winner’s nose, meaning he is unlikely to be flagged about the piercing again this season. Regarding the note from Hamilton’s doctor, the FIA noted: “The stewards having heard from a team representative and receiving a medical report from the team doctor of Mercedes, which requested an exemption. “The stewards consulted the FIA medical delegate, who viewed the medical report, examined the driver and concurred with the opinion therein. We have determined to take no further action as there are concerns about disfigurement with frequent attempts at removal of the device.”

Hamilton has also seemingly been given the all-clear to wear his new helmet this weekend, despite the fact that it includes the LGBTQ+ flag on top. Many had wondered if Hamilton would find himself in trouble for using his new lid, given the recent update to the FIA’s International Sporting Code (ISC). Following the controversial update, which banned “political, religious and personal statements”, it had been expected that wearing clothing or a helmet in support of a campaign or a community would be banned; however, following the use of Hamilton’s helmet on Friday, it appears that the FIA may be taking a relaxed approach.

Verstappen controversy sparks FIA rule amendment​

The FIA has made an amendment to F1 pit exit rules in order to address confusion amongst drivers over crossing exit lines. The move comes after Max Verstappen and Red Bull were embroiled in controversy at the Monaco Grand Prix last season. Dutchman Verstappen had come under protest from Ferrari after his third-place finish in the race having driven across the pit exit line on the exit of Sainte Devote. Despite being cleared of an infringement, Verstappen would have been in hot water had a change not been made to the regulations for 2022 that allowed drivers to straddle the exit line – which had not been the case previously.

The complication that triggered Ferrari's protest was the 'copy and pasting' of the race director's briefing notes ahead of the weekend which used the outdated regulation. To clarify the situation moving forward, revisions to the regulation dictate that crossing 'means that the outside of any tyre should not go beyond the outside, with respect to the pitlane, of the relevant line painted on the track.

Last edited:

Final Practice Results​

2023 F1 Bahrain Grand Prix - Free Practice Results (3)
PosDriverNat.TeamTime
1Fernando AlonsoESPAston Martin1m32.340s
2Max VerstappenNEDOracle Red Bull Racing1m32.345s
3Sergio PerezMEXOracle Bull Racing1m32.446s
4Lewis HamiltonGBRMercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team1m32.555s
5Charles LeclercMONScuderia Ferrari1m32.624s
6George RussellGBRMercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team1m32.731s
7Lance StrollCANAston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team1m32.919s
8Carlos SainzESPScuderia Ferrari1m32.945s
9Oscar PiastriAUSMcLaren F1 Team1m33.045s
10Pierre GaslyFRABWT Alpine F1 Team1m33.064s
11Esteban OconFRABWT Alpine F1 Team1m31.116s
12Zhou GuanyuCHNAlfa Romeo F1 Team Stake1m33.180s
13Lando NorrisGBRMcLaren F1 Team1m33.202s
14Kevin MagnussenDENMoneyGram Haas F1 Team1m33.381s
15Nico HulkenbergGERMoneyGram Haas F1 Team1m33.423s
16Yuki TsunodaJPNScuderia AlphaTauri1m33.475s
17Valtteri BottasFINAlfa Romeo F1 Team Stake1m33.629s
18Logan SargeantUSAWilliams Racing1m33.665s
19Alex AlbonTHAWilliams Racing1m33.882s
20Nyck de VriesNEDScuderia AlphaTauri1m34.082s

Reactions: Ax^

My friend says thank you.

Me, I tut-tutted that she/she/it/they would be so reckless as to threaten the profits of such noble corporations as the FIA, Formula One, Sky, etc.

hmm which are the race that they been doing the daft Sprint racing :hmm:
The confirmed locations for F1 Sprint events in 2023 are:

• FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX 2023 (Baku City Circuit) 28–30 April
  • FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2023 (Red Bull Ring) 30 June–2 July
  • FORMULA 1 BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2023 (Spa-Francorchamps) 28–30 July
  • FORMULA 1 QATAR GRAND PRIX 2023 (Lusail International Circuit) 06 – 08 October
  • FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX 2023 (Circuit of the Americas) 20–22 October
  • FORMULA 1 GRANDE PRÊMIO DE SÃO PAULO 2023 (AutÓdromo José Carlos Pace) 3–5 November

Emilia Romagna GP set for F1 qualifying experiment​

Formula 1 is set to trial a new tyre allocation qualifying experiment at the Emilia Romagna Grand prix at Imola in May. In a bid to reduce the large inventory of tyres that Pirelli brings to each Grand Prix, F1 has devised a new format that will be trialed at two venues this season. Overall, the number of sets allocated to each driver for the entire race will be reduced from 13 to 11.

While drivers are currently free to choose which compounds they use in the three segments of qualifying, the new experimental format will force drivers to use Hard tyres in Q1, Mediums in Q2, and the Soft rubber in Q3. Under the new format, drivers will receive three sets of Hards, four sets of Mediums and four sets of Softs during the weekend.

Those who fail to make the Q3 cut in qualifying would retain their three sets of soft compound tyres for race day, which could prove beneficial at specific venues, while tyre choices will become free in the event of a session being declared wet. Imola looks set to be confirmed as the first venue for the experiment which the second race experiment is expected to take place over the summer, but ahead of F1's summer break, meaning perhaps Budapest or Spa.

Back
Top Bottom