Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2022

He's got a proven track record of being a top flight player in all formats, winning in all formats, had gone on to be a coach at county and international level. I'm struggling to see the risk

Wasn't he the fielding coach for the England team?

Nuff said. They couldn't catch a cold.

Played with Strauss at Middlesex. Sat next to each other in the change room.. maybe, just maybe.

I think if you've watched the doco about the Aussies' recovery from sandpapergate (which is brilliant btw), you'd highly doubt he would ever consider becoming England coach. He's a very very proud Aussie, and England are not exactly top of his xmas card list. Although I guess his head might be turned by a staggering amount of money, ya never know.

Speaking hours before Langer quit his current post, Strauss said he “wouldn’t rule him out” as an option to replace the departing Chris Silverwood. The former England opener also made clear he was watching with interest as the situation played out in Australia.

Strauss seems to think it would be a formality for Langer to be hired. I think he's got a slightly skewed understanding of the pecking order in world cricket right now. I wouldn't take it on if I was Langer, not with the current setup in place at the top.

Strauss seems to think it would be a formality for Langer to be hired. I think he's got a slightly skewed understanding of the pecking order in world cricket right now. I wouldn't take it on if I was Langer, not with the current setup in place at the top.
I think he would be a bad fit. I know he was in an awkward spot, but that cringeworthy self-righteous stuff after the sandpaper saga was more than a little hypocritical coming from him. Hard to forgive that.

It's not about him being an Aussie. Jason Gillespie? Yes, please. Justin Langer? Rather not.

That said, it's not like I trust Strauss either. He's a company man, and the last time around, he started the process of de-prioritising test cricket. He's partially responsible for the current state of play. Does he even acknowledge that?

I think he would be a bad fit. I know he was in an awkward spot, but that cringeworthy self-righteous stuff after the sandpaper saga was more than a little hypocritical coming from him. Hard to forgive that.

It's not about him being an Aussie. Jason Gillespie? Yes, please. Justin Langer? Rather not.

That said, it's not like I trust Strauss either. He's a company man, and the last time around, he started the process of de-prioritising test cricket. He's partially responsible for the current state of play. Does he even acknowledge that?

Langer would whip both the players and the board into shape I think. Maybe a hard-nosed Aussie bastard is what they need. Gillespie's pretty chilled from what I gather.

Why are there no Asian names that ever come up for these jobs anyway?

Langer would whip both the players and the board into shape I think. Maybe a hard-nosed Aussie bastard is what they need. Gillespie's pretty chilled from what I gather.

Why are there no Asian names that ever come up for these jobs anyway?
I can see that pov. Silverwood was everyone's mate, and that's not always what's needed. But you don't have to be a hard-nosed bastard to get the best out of people. Gillespie seems to manage to do it while remaining a decent bloke. Equivalent to football's Jurgen Klopp, perhaps?

I can see that pov. Silverwood was everyone's mate, and that's not always what's needed. But you don't have to be a hard-nosed bastard to get the best out of people. Gillespie seems to manage to do it while remaining a decent bloke. Equivalent to football's Jurgen Klopp, perhaps?

I'm sure Klopp lays down the law behind closed doors, I've seen him be pretty tough in press conferences. I'd prefer Langer but I just really really doubt he'd take it although I assume it's the most lucrative job in world cricket knowing how the ECB throw money around so you never know.

Sorry, u19s.

The Indians have a young player called Raj who took 5-31 today and earlier in the tournament scored 162 not ou. He's also the highest run scorer in the tournament by 200 runs :eek:

Paul Collingwood interim coach for WI. Sensible to promote someone from within for that tour then do whatever changes for the summer.

I'll bet a few players will be wishing the WI tour had come before the Ashes tour. Teams look very evenly matched on paper - decent bowling and awful batting. That said, England have a terrible record in WI - I think it's one series win in about the last 60 years. They'll have the majority of the crowd behind them in lovely holiday-maker destinations. But it's been like that before and they've failed.

Hopefully more locals will come than they had for the t20 series. Be good if at least half the crowd were home supporters.

Anderson and Broad have been left out of the squad for the Windies.

Yes, because it was their fault England lost in Australia. Mother fuckers.

Anderson and Broad have been left out of the squad for the Windies.

Yes, because it was their fault England lost in Australia. Mother fuckers.

Wankers. This smacks of "let's make a fresh start but just in case anyone is in doubt we'll make sure we're absolutely shit for the first two years".

As with all authority, they hate people who speak out.

Something about noses, faces and spite.

Some people were talking up Broad as England captain a few days ago, and his entire career may be now over. The bizarreness continues.

With hindsight, perhaps he should have become captain a few years ago.

They could take the pair of them along and pick the newbies (assume Mahmood will be going, for instance). They're centrally contracted so they're being paid anyway. Never know. They might be able to help out. :hmm:

From the Independent

"Further omissions are expected, such as Jos Buttler, who returned home early from the Ashes with a broken finger, and Dawid Malan, whose form tapered off during that series."

So ditching the second highest runs scorer from the Ashes too if that's right.

Is it 17 Tests again this year? So I guess players need a break? Good to see Parkinson given a go. Good they've stuck with Crawley and Pope. The openers in Oz needed a rest. Good to see Foakes in. Surprised to see Woakes and even more surprised to see Fisher.

No Malan. That looks like Jonathan Bairstow will be batting at 3 to me.

But above all, they are cunts for ending Anderson's and Broad's careers like this.

Not so much for ending Rory Burns'.

Remember seeing Anderson's first test match (first one I saw on tv anyway) and it was clear he was going to be special. Leaving him out when he's still near his height is disrespectful - tells class cricketers that they're not valued. :mad:

“The England management have seen something in the pair that has made them want to drop them. If they were buzzing, bringing a lot of energy to the group, bowling the right lengths and creating the right culture they’d be in the side.” - Michael Vaughan.

Vaughan has been Root’s long time mentor. It’s unlikely he’s picking these attributes out of thin air, quite likely these are the whines Root has bleated to Vaughan in defence of his own lack of leadership. In addition to Root feeling slighted by comments Broad and Anderson are able to convey in the media. It stinks.

Last edited:
"...bowling the right lengths..." goes back to the 2nd Test where the cracks appeared as Broad and Root came into conflict over tactics.

"Bowling the right lengths". To two people with 1177 Test wickets between them.

And "their careers aren't over" (from Strauss) can easily be construed as "if they keep their mouths shut over the fallout from the Ashes".

Get the books published Anderson and Broad. Why would you want to play for a team (management) that doesn't want you? Spill the beans.

I had to google Matthew Fisher, I must admit.

No problem with blooding young quicks like him and Mahmood. Mahmood in particular has something about him. Good to have them gain experience alongside two all-time grea... oh.

'Their careers aren't over' makes no sense whatever. If their careers aren't over, then they should be in the squad. What, go away and prove yourselves in the County Championship? That's absurd.

Back
Top Bottom