Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2022

Botham's there. They just zoomed in on him and showed his stats. Surprisingly quite mediocre. 33 with the bat and 28 with the ball. I mean they're ok but. Well I'm too young to remember him playing really but I assume he must have been a bit better than that in a game changing sense to be such a legend.

Meanwhile Foakes is proving how fucking weird it is he wasn't given more of a chance earlier.
His stats against WI aren't good. 21 with the bat in 20 tests and 4 50s in 38 innings. 35 with the ball. He was a great player in the late 70s against teams weakened by World Series and not playing WI. There isn't an England player who comes anywhere close to Viv Richards, so the duel naming of a trophy is stupid. Someone suggested the Benaud-Qadir trophy should have been named after Salman Butt and Travis Head.

I actually 'met' Botham in St Lucia in 2007 at a bar during the world cup. When I say met, I mean I plucked up the courage to go shake his hand and he pretty much dissed me, which I guess was fair enough, he must be quite sick of it but he did seem a bit of a dick. I wasn't that pissed or anything, it was about 4 in the afternoon.

Fun fact, that was the same bar Flintoff got almightily boozed in one night me and my mates were there and ended up falling off a pedalo. Now he certainly wasn't stand-offish...

I gather Botham and Viv were/are great mates and former teammates so it's fair enough it's named after em both. Sounds like they raised hell back in the day which I'm in all in favour of. But yes the ButtHead trophy is also a very good call.

Botham's there. They just zoomed in on him and showed his stats. Surprisingly quite mediocre. 33 with the bat and 28 with the ball. I mean they're ok but. Well I'm too young to remember him playing really but I assume he must have been a bit better than that in a game changing sense to be such a legend.
The last four to five years of his career, he was a trundling medium-pacer due to injuries. In his pomp, he took a shitload of wickets. Bowling allrounder, for sure, but both bowling and batting averages were better in the first half of his career.

Watching the WI-England highlights, the new ball was swinging a fair bit. Woakes could do well if he gets it right. Old ball not doing too much, and it's disappointing that the pitch lacks pace.

This pitch and the pudding at Rawalpindi are far from ideal for test cricket. It's disappointing they can't get that basic thing right.

I have to say, not usually a fan of Nasser Hussain but he seems to have a very broad knowledge of the women's game and the players

More or less par score thanks to YJB. But an ominously comfortable start from WI. I'm not liking this bowling attack at the moment. Need a bit of Mark Wood magic this afternoon.

Fun facts.

Joe Root and Nkrumah Bonner are the only batters averaging over 40 in this match.

Meanwhile, none of the England bowlers averages under 30.

WI top order is every bit as shit as England's. They've let England right back in here.

Pleased for Woakes and Overton getting wickets but both of them have bowled badly so far. Whatever happens from here, I don't understand the selection of that pair of opening bowlers.

282/7

Weird situation where both sides are the same sort of crap so will both be happy to achieve some kind of parity in the first innings.

373/9

But Lawrence now averages 16 with the ball so I hope that puts to rest the Anderson/Broad debate. Wood injured unable to bowl. Robinson injured. Woakes and Overton 3-173 between them.

Well ground by WI. They are strangely well matched teams. This is a second tier encounter in the test championship. At least that makes it competitive.

Deficit knocked off for the loss of one wicket. We might be meandering towards a draw here, but England have a chance to stamp some authority on the game... or fall over in a heap and give us an exciting final day.

Get on with the cricket. It's finally on Lepto. I've had a full on day and I want to watch cricket and get stoned.

Here we go.

Back
Top Bottom