Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2024

That's incredibly poor umpiring. Nothing could have changed drastically between the over and Woakes' second ball, so either it should have been spin o'clock in time to call Bashir/Root or let Woakes get on with it. As it is, the umpires have just conspired to gift Sri Lanka some free runs off 4 balls of understandably laughable bowling.

And that is setting aside just how poor it was to set reasonably good visibility as the 'bad light' threshold yesterday. Too much of this will be the death knell for test cricket, when everything possible should be done to keep it as the rightful pinnacle of the game.

It's particularly comical that the very next over they decided it was ok for Atkinson to bowl. So the light was dangerously unsafe for what, about three minutes?

Back to actual cricket, for now...

Josh Hull gets his first test wicket. He looks at home at this level at first glance, but his fledgling first class career to date has nothing remarkable about it at all in terms of statistics. Where on earth has he been plucked from?

Back to actual cricket, for now...

Josh Hull gets his first test wicket. He looks at home at this level at first glance, but his fledgling first class career to date has nothing remarkable about it at all in terms of statistics. Where on earth has he been plucked from?

He's 6 foot 7 or something. And left handed. Brave selection but does make sense.

He's 6 foot 7 or something. And left handed. Brave selection but does make sense.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go - I like the look of him on this tiny bit of test evidence.

I'm just intrigued, because surely the criteria for selection would be tall, left handed, and really good at cricket. He's passing the eye test today at this level, but there's zero evidence (statistically at least) from his 10 first class matches that he meets the 3rd criteria. I'd love to know what the 'je ne sais quoi' is that someone in the selection team spotted.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go - I like the look of him on this tiny bit of test evidence.

I'm just intrigued, because surely the criteria for selection would be tall, left handed, and really good at cricket. He's passing the eye test today at this level, but there's zero evidence (statistically at least) from his 10 first class matches that he meets the 3rd criteria. I'd love to know what the 'je ne sais quoi' is that someone in the selection team spotted.

I think he took wickets for the Lions (the England second XI effectively). Those numbers might not be reported as first class, don't know.

It was literally less than five minutes. They really need to sort this out. I've been sayin that for years though.

Nick at the Ova: "How does five minutes rain lead to 30 minutes delay?" --- Fair question, I think in this instance the ground staff were caught a bit off guard as the rain kind of just manifested. I imagine there was a fair bit of ground that got soaked before the heavier covers were able to come one.

And Moeen Ali's retired :(
Retired from Internationals only. And he had been dropped tbf. ;)

His numbers tell part of the story. A test bowling average of 37 is a little high, but he was an attacking Bazball bowler before Bazball with a good strike rate. A test batting average of 28 is criminally low for someone with his talent. His batting went through some periods of appalling slump (notably in Aus, when both his batting and bowling slumped but he wasn't dropped because England didn't want to damage anyone else!), and he was undoubtedly messed around by England, rarely asked to bat in the position that most suited him, which was 7.

In ODIs, his batting average ended up very low, and bowling average very high, but he came in around 7 and scored quickly, and he bowled tidily in the middle overs, so he was a handy contributor. T20 probably his strongest suit, but his very best in that format was probably seen in the IPL, where teams promoted him up the order.

Moeen batting, when it came together, was a joy to watch. And he could spin the ball a long way. A lot of batters have shared the disappointment of getting out to Moeen. But given his ability, he should really have scored more test runs.

What’s happening?

Nothing much resembling cricket. See LBJ's post. England are really taking the piss but they are becoming the butt of the joke. To call it village green stuff is an insult to village green cricket.

I too hope Sri Lanka win this.

Retired from Internationals only. And he had been dropped tbf. ;)

His numbers tell part of the story. A test bowling average of 37 is a little high, but he was an attacking Bazball bowler before Bazball with a good strike rate. A test batting average of 28 is criminally low for someone with his talent. His batting went through some periods of appalling slump (notably in Aus, when both his batting and bowling slumped but he wasn't dropped because England didn't want to damage anyone else!), and he was undoubtedly messed around by England, rarely asked to bat in the position that most suited him, which was 7.

In ODIs, his batting average ended up very low, and bowling average very high, but he came in around 7 and scored quickly, and he bowled tidily in the middle overs, so he was a handy contributor. T20 probably his strongest suit, but his very best in that format was probably seen in the IPL, where teams promoted him up the order.

Moeen batting, when it came together, was a joy to watch. And he could spin the ball a long way. A lot of batters have shared the disappointment of getting out to Moeen. But given his ability, he should really have scored more test runs.

Moeen has the most 4th innings wickets for England besides Anderson and Broad. Both of whom have only 50% more wickets than Moeen but played in well over twice the amount of 4th innings matches.

Moeen has the most 4th innings wickets for England besides Anderson and Broad. Both of whom have only 50% more wickets than Moeen but played in well over twice the amount of 4th innings matches.
That's a good stat. Didn't know that. More than Swann! Reflects the fact that he was a big spinner of the ball and bowled attacking lines, so pretty effective when there's rough around.

It's a little bit of fucking rain. Jesus. Man up. Now we'll be off for another half hour. Even Ronaldo can play in rain. It's so fucking stupid.

I continue to be unimpressed by England. This is just crap slogging. I now hope they lose this match. Teach them to respect the game a bit more. I'm all for a positive approach, but this is just poor cricket.

Even their body language speaks they just dont care about this game. They'll win, easily. But Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Lyon etc will clean them up if they keep doing this.

There's a solution to this.

Stop playing tests in September. Next year they're all over by the end of July apparently.

Why isn't there just a standard light meter reading used throughout the world? The umpires seem to take a reading on the first day. Arbitrarily. And then that has to be kept to throughout the match. Why is there not a standard reading?

Back
Top Bottom