Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2024

SL doing pretty well here. If they can keep England under 350, they'll have done well, and they look quite likely to do that. Much resting on Root.

Unlike last week, England's batters have rather given their wickets away so far. Not great from them as I do think bowling first was a mistake by SL.

I would love it, Kevin Keegan style, if Pope went from Captain to being dropped from the team. We can dream.

Disjointed scorecard but what's not to like? Your best player nearly gets 150 before getting out to a comical shot. Then Atkinson discovers his inner Broad (he's better than Broad) and changes the game back in your favour. That was a good day's cricket.

Once you notice how often cricketers say "obviously" in interviews, it will drive you insane. Heather Knight managed about 10 in 2 minute interview.

In meetings at work, I've been known to do an entire ten minute rant - almost without pausing for breath - about people using the word "obviously".

:mad:

Is Atkinson a flash in the pan or a genuine all rounder? Tbf he's done the wickets and runs in benign conditions against middle rank opponents... But still.

Well done to Atkinson, but SL have lost the plot here. Not even opening up with their best bowler.

This is Atkinson's highest ever first class score and first century, so maybe not a genuine all rounder. But a useful lower-order hitter who can bat at number 8, which is handy.

...And there it is. Third ball gets a wicket for Fernando. Half an hour and 35 runs late.

This is a good batting track and the sun's out. 427 isn't actually a disaster for SL. But it must feel like it when the last four wickets put on over 200.

Kudos to Atkinson. When's Crawley due back? Can't believe I'm saying this but the side kind of needs him. You can't be relying on a bowler to score hundreds. Pope's clearly not up to the job and Lawrence looks a bit lost.

Today I learned...

Gus Atkinson's great-great-great-grandfather was responsible for one of the biggest pieces of cheating in sporting history, and is the reason why Arsenal should be considered to have never won anything - they've not earned the right to play top flight football on sporting merit. One Mr Henry Norris.

Anyway, carry on - good match this, the ebbs and flows of test cricket.

They just said on TMS that Atkinson is the kind of man who, if you gave him a birthday cake, would just say thanks, take a slice and sit down and eat it. So, basically, he's the Father Stone of English cricket.

what the fuck else are you supposed to do if someone gives you a birthday cake, tell them to piss off and smear it over your face?

Yesterday I was wondering what sort of 3-for score SL would be getting and I sort of settled on 65 for 3.

Last edited:
what the fuck else are you supposed to do if someone gives you a birthday cake, tell them to piss off and smear it over your face?
Pretty much the Boris Johnson approach. But it wouldn't be a 'party', just a gathering to thank Downing Street staff during the pandemic...

Atkinson averages 6 with the bat in the CC this year. That's quite funny.

Yesterday was a bit odd because Atkinson was the star but got his runs over 2 days. Then SL folded rather than any England bowler bowling particularly spectacularly. But. Kamindu Mendis. Currently averages 89 in Tests. Why the hell he's batting at 7 - well, that's conservatism and power structures for you. New boy up against established, but average, old timers. He's the future of SL cricket, in all formats.

Josh Hull is in for the last test then. Guess with the series wrapped up and playing four seamers it's a good time to take a chance if you're going to.

Back
Top Bottom