Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2021

If the openers can get in again and score briskly as the did last night, that would setup the day nicely. Malan, Root, Pope, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes all naturally score quickly. Just dont want an early fuck up to put extra pressure on….I’m looking at you Burns

That would go a long way to putting the 4 day test argument to bed.

On the subject of arguments being put to bed...Surely this (and others) 5-test series against India should now be cemented in the calendar, and 'protected'.

It's no different to the Ashes IMO, and would quickly ramp up the similar rivalry, history and drama that the fixture deserves.

Surely they have got to go for it. Make a great days cricket. Who wants a draw? More likely to get bowled out playing for the draw rather than going for it.
:thumbs:

Surely they have got to go for it. Make a great days cricket. Who wants a draw? More likely to get bowled out playing for the draw rather than going for it.

They were given a highly generous declaration against NZ, with less at stake, and didn't go for it then. So I can't see it happening here. And that was with Stokes in the side.

If the openers can get in again and score briskly as the did last night, that would setup the day nicely. Malan, Root, Pope, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes all naturally score quickly. Just dont want an early fuck up to put extra pressure on….I’m looking at you Burns

They scored at just over 2 an over. Burns has 31 from 32 overs.
Surely they have got to go for it. Make a great days cricket. Who wants a draw?
You will by tea. :thumbs:

So, early signs. They're going for the draw.
It's only been 3 overs, they're starting again.

Assuming it gets that far, there will be a new ball halfway through the day. Perhaps an opportunity for India to take wickets, but also an opportunity to score more quickly - It's much too early and too remote a target to be looking at run rates and swinging the bat.

Will be interesting to see who they put in next. A run getter?
Good question, but I'd say the answer has to be Malan then Root unless these 2 openers have piled on a seriously large number of runs but left it a bit late.

"Going for it" only really applies when the deficit is below 100, with wickets in hand, and a tight but realistic (4-5) run rate still required. Until then it's sensible Test Cricket to take the defeat out of the equation.

Run rate is not a reason to panic and throw a wicket away. Bumrah can't bowl all day, neither can Jadeja. There will always be passages in play when tired bowlers drop shorter and wider and tired fielders give a lethargic chase, it's a question of cashing in when those passages appear.

England can't win this match in the morning session, but they can lose it.

Oh dear, it's already reversing I think. That's that then.
Are you always this cheerful? 100 for the first wicket and it's all over...

If 1 becomes 2 or 3 quickly then it becomes a question of batting out time. Until then, sensible batting - Hameed, Malan, Root, Pope, Bairstow, Moeen; that's a lot of experience and/or talent. I repeat, anyone gets a century and we're running this target close.

How do you get out of bed everyday? Nothing less than rose petals laid at your feet to a bath run by swedish twins Helga and Holga for a hand job with sacred oils…or you stay in bed, sulking?

I'm very inclusive my friend after my summer watching your blessed Hundred. So yes, Helga and Holga are very welcome. Very very welcome.

WinViz still has England at 22pc (India 29, draw 49)

My money's safe.

The 'win percentage' stat thing is the most useless stat in cricket. Oh look someone took a wicket/hit a six, see the percentage change. It's bullshit.

Well, the betting companies are also calling a draw. And yes I'm a miserable bastard, not denying that.

I'm actually astonished this has gone to 5 days and probably all three sessions after those first two days.

At drinks, 32 runs from 14 overs for the loss of 1 wicket. More milestones to tick off - lead below 250, lunch with no more wickets (at absolute most, 1 more). This is absolutely fascinating test cricket, it's brilliant!

Run outs not exactly ideal in this scenario...

Hameed may have sold Malan short there. He's on 61, make it a hundred and all is forgiven. Step up Joe Root, can't lose any more before lunch.

Back
Top Bottom