Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Census 2021

Actually, come to think of it, I’m not so sure that the belief is necessary.
The ONS are explicit that they are only asking about affiliation, not belief for the purpose of the census. It seems that the write-in inclusion policy is in response to the 2010 Equality Act.

So much of the argument above over the last few pages is redundant wrt this process. If you write in a religion it will contribute to the 'Other religion' data unless the ONS suspect that the write-ins are as a result of a concerted campaign. Hence the reason that they did disaggregate out the Jedi numbers.

1614717776443.png

“There are four kinds of people in this world: cretins, fools, morons, and lunatics…Cretins don’t even talk; they sort of slobber and stumble…Fools are in great demand, especially on social occasions. They embarrass everyone but provide material for conversation…Fools don’t claim that cats bark, but they talk about cats when everyone else is talking about dogs. They offend all the rules of conversation, and when they really offend, they’re magnificent…Morons never do the wrong thing. They get their reasoning wrong. Like the fellow who says that all dogs are pets and all dogs bark, and cats are pets, too, therefore cats bark…Morons will occasionally say something that’s right, but they say it for the wrong reason…A lunatic is easily recognized. He is a moron who doesn’t know the ropes. The moron proves his thesis; he has logic, however twisted it may be. The lunatic on the other hand, doesn’t concern himself at all with logic; he works by short circuits. For him, everything proves everything else. The lunatic is all idée fixe, and whatever he comes across confirms his lunacy. You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense, by his flashes of inspiration, and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars…There are lunatics who don’t bring up the Templars, but those who do are the most insidious. At first they seem normal, then all of a sudden…”

Come on folks. I know it’s a year in and we’re all tetchy, but this is really quite easy. I’ll give an example. I used to think that nobody really believed in a flat earth. They were joking. Trolling. Surely, right? And probably a lot are, but it turns out that we have now to accept that some are perfectly sincerely.

Similarly with Jedi. It started as a joke to troll the census. Hilarious japes. And for most it still is that: a joke. But what if for some it isn’t? What if they have rituals and worship, a philosophy to go with it. What if they know it came from a film but want to adopt it as their way of expressing spirituality? What makes it a religion. That it’s old? Nope. That it’s factual? What facts? The ceremonies are made up. So what? Aren’t they all

I know Episcopalians who call themselves Christian, who go to church, do the praying and singing, but as far as God goes they’re agnostic or even atheist. They’ll enter Christian in the census. Are their entries to be discounted?

Like I said, there’s a Church of John Coltrane. Do you get to determine it’s a joke? Do the ONS?

We don’t actually know if some Jedis are sincere or not. But what if some are?

I genuinely don't know how I would describe my national identity, and it's an interesting reflection. I wonder if this sense of ambivalence regading national identity that is undoubtedly felt by a great swathe of socially liberal and/or historically aware people in England is peculiar to the English or if it is a common phenomenon across other former colonial powers.

I genuinely don't know how I would describe my national identity, and it's an interesting reflection. I wonder if this sense of ambivalence regading national identity that is undoubtedly felt by a great swathe of socially liberal and/or historically aware people in England is peculiar to the English or if it is a common phenomenon across other former colonial powers.
Alderanian obvs.

This census does, effectively, ask 2 questions about 'nationality'; one functional (Q 20 passports held, if any) and one (Q 14) about the respondent's perceived identity, and I agree that any question about 'national identity' put to those living in such a confused polity does deserve more thought than a cursory tick.

1614762865284.png

1614762891664.png

I'm pretty sure that, had the census coincided more closely with May's "...citizen of nowhere." comment, there'd have been a significant write-in for "the World" or "Nowhere".

1614763240401.png

National identity, like all identity, is contextual and I think the problem with the census question is that any context is missing. If I’m with Americans, I feel deeply English because I notice the national differences in behaviours and assumptions and they also act as if I am generally representative of English people. If I’m with a bunch of patriotic English people, however, I feel alien to them in terms of common archetype and even, due to my immigrant roots, potentially “unenglish”.

National identity, like all identity, is contextual and I think the problem with the census question is that any context is missing. If I’m with Americans, I feel deeply English because I notice the national differences in behaviours and assumptions and they also act as if I am generally representative of English people. If I’m with a bunch of patriotic English people, however, I feel alien to them in terms of common archetype and even, due to my immigrant roots, potentially “unenglish”.
I suppose this multi-dimensional nature of identity is one reason why the census developers have stuck with the Tick all that apply instruction?

I'll tick English. I'm certainly not Scottish or Welsh. British is much more a political identity than a cultural one, and with the decline of empire and devolution/independence, one that is increasingly anachronistic. I was born in England, I live in England, I sound English, I share (willingly or unwillingly) a bunch of cultural cues, customs and norms that are recognisably English to Scots or Welsh. I'm not an English nationalist, or any kind of nationalist, but that doesn't stop me being English.

I'll tick English. I'm certainly not Scottish or Welsh. British is much more a political identity than a cultural one, and with the decline of empire and devolution/independence, one that is increasingly anachronistic. I was born in England, I live in England, I sound English, I share (willingly or unwillingly) a bunch of cultural cues, customs and norms that are recognisably English to Scots or Welsh. I'm not an English nationalist, or any kind of nationalist, but that doesn't stop me being English.
In the light of what you've said there, it's interesting to note that the tick-box option order has changed from the last Census (2011) with the "British" option now placed first.

1614770891626.png

1614770906579.png

That's not a national identity. That's an English person trying to avoid calling themselves English.
Objectively that might be true, but the question actually invites respondents to describe their national identity. So, if that's how Kenny wants to describe it, I guess that's the correct response for him?

Objectively that might be true, but the question actually invites respondents to describe their national identity. So, if that's how Kenny wants to describe it, I guess that's the correct response for him?
If it is true objectively then that is good enough for me. "Urban" would be fitting for some.

Back
Top Bottom