Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Mayoral Elections 2021

There aren't, assuming an average cross section of 6ft (a tunnel big enough to walk through) gives the tunnels a total floor area of 757 square miles somewhat larger than Greater London's 600ish square mile area. Either this 2 million is wrong (2,000 is very believable) or that 2 million miles includes things like cabling ducts a few centimetres square which might be a tad difficult to cycle or walk through.

You're just being defeatist! Once Gauleiter Gammons perfects his shrinking ray, we'll all be able to use the cable ducts as mass transit!

Saw a groundswell of sentiment on That Twitter from Momentumite Londoners who'd been out canvassing every night in 2019 that they couldn't be arsed to campaign for Khan, especially after he said that Britain made the right decision at the GE. I'm guessing much of that sentiment has fed through to turnout and decisions to second pref Khan instead of putting him in first

"Couldn't be arsed" is entirely possible, but the loss of about 30,000 Labour members in Greater London since 2019 possibly also had an effect on canvassing.

Reactions: Sue
I want Shaun Bailey to win like I want my nails to be torn off and hot needles inserted in their place

As an anarchist, I half-wanted Bailey to win, because his uselessness could well discredit the political consensus that keeps us effectively a 2-party state.

As a human being, I wouldn't want that racist, sexist, classist cunt to even get a sniff of power's bicycle saddle.

Labour is (and this might blow you mind) split on PR. There's an old guard who can't imagine why anyone would want to vote other than Labour, and though the "it'll let in the BNP" bogey man has disappeared, they're still resistant to change. Look at the AV referendum. And that wasn't even proportional.

TBF, the AV ref was lost BECAUSE it wasn't even proper PR.

River Lea has all the terror anyone could need.

With a a soupçon of Weils disease.
It's simply irresistible.

A mate did some "wild swimming" in the Lea, just wearing trunks, got a nasty bacterial infection in a scratch on his back (over-amorous wife!), & ended up on an antibiotic drip for a week. He didn't realise how much raw sewage still gets into the Thames' tributaries.

A mate did some "wild swimming" in the Lea, just wearing trunks, got a nasty bacterial infection in a scratch on his back (over-amorous wife!), & ended up on an antibiotic drip for a week. He didn't realise how much raw sewage still gets into the Thames' tributaries.
They've now got signs up warning about this. Obviously it'd be way better if they just cleaned the bloody thing up.

Yep, the poiliticos often seem to forget it's the rank and file who do the leafletting, the canvassing and the bread and butter stuff that gets them elected. :rolleyes:

Local Labour ward cllrs hate me because back in 2018, when running as a Green candidate, I made it a rule to give any Labour canvassers I met checkable facts about the shit our cllrs have pulled here. 3 of those I spoke to (& gave contact details) let me know they'd left their local branch. ;)

I mean, it's not impossible that the two things are connected

I'm sure you're right. I don't know about down west, but here in That London - at least in places where I still have political contacts - many Momentum-ites have hung on in the face of Centrist hostility, in the hope of Starmer coming a cropper. I met quite a few young Labour voters at XR meetings before lockdown, & it seems majority have gone over to the Greens now, as they have lost faith in Starmer's "Green new deal" claims.

They've now got signs up warning about this. Obviously it'd be way better if they just cleaned the bloody thing up.

Good. Fucking sad that utilities & companies are still allowed to discharge untreated effluent. The Wandle gets particularly fucked over with this on the upper reaches. Was only when I understood basic chemical catalysis at secondary school, that I realised why my skin took on a pasty white or greenish tinge after paddling in the lower reaches back in the late '60s & early '70s! :eek:

Was going to put this in the Twatty McTwatface thread, but thought there was some interest beyond the fact he came 'top' of this particular chart. For example, as many in the comments point out, Berry coming third despite getting proportionately less coverage than all but one other candidate.

The breakdown of the Mayoral election results by local ward has been published
The full Excel data can be accessed towards the bottom of this page:

This interactive map is easier to digest for an overview:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom