Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Mayoral Election 2024

it's the the ‘Modified d’Hondt Formula. more here

ETA - no, i'm still not sure i understand it

I don't either. Not from that description anyway, which makes it sound like Labour should have been allocated the most seats. It also makes it sound like it's impossible for an independent candidate to get a seat with that method. Either I've misunderstood (entirely possible) or they just explained it really badly.

Oh, the party with the most seats already won gets the biggest divisor, so only got one extra seat. Then how come the second biggest party got the most seats? And how does that "accurately represent voters' intentions?"

Obvs not now as the thing ain't on yet. The London elections and eurovision aren't rigged most of the time as most of the time we're between votes. Oh and there were certainly some peculiar things going on with the voting last year
The jurors loving Sweden was the biggest problem last year though that's possibly for another thread.

I don't either. Not from that description anyway, which makes it sound like Labour should have been allocated the most seats. It also makes it sound like it's impossible for an independent candidate to get a seat with that method. Either I've misunderstood (entirely possible) or they just explained it really badly.

Oh, the party with the most seats already won gets the biggest divisor, so only got one extra seat. Then how come the second biggest party got the most seats? And how does that "accurately represent voters' intentions?"
Cos Labour won twice as many constituency seats as the Tories but didn't get twice as many votes.

And yes an independent can only get in through the constituency route, not the list route.

Surprised the Tories didn't scrap this bit as well as the transferable vote for mayor. This bit works well for them, though. And it allows that fuckwit Hall to keep her seat. And Shaun Bailey, who looking him up is now Lord Shaun Bailey. So he sits in the LA and the house of lords.

Britain, bastion of democracy.

Cos Labour won twice as many constituency seats as the Tories but didn't get twice as many votes.

And yes an independent can only get in through the constituency route, not the list route.

Surprised the Tories didn't scrap this bit as well as the transferable vote for mayor. This bit works well for them, though. And it allows that fuckwit Hall to keep her seat. And Shaun Bailey, who looking him up is now Lord Shaun Bailey. So he sits in the LA and the house of lords.

Britain, bastion of democracy.
To be fair, he always manages to put party before self.

Respectable showing for the gym bro guy amongst the also rans/nutters. His manifesto of putting creatine in the water, piping the Joe Rogan podcast into all places and compulsory ju-jitsu training for all coppers must have gone down OK. (One of those isn't made up btw)

Many are council workers, but they're not doing this as poor overworked volunteers! Some of them being council workers as their usual job is completely irrelevant.

That page does not actually give a hint as to why this election is taking longer than general elections, and even longer than the time recently where there London had general elections and local elections (and, in my area at least, borough mayoral elections), on the same day.

I don't really think it's anything fishy either, but it's odd, and I'm allowed to wonder why strange things happen.
I think it’s just because they count them all in one place, so they’ve got to get thousands of ballot boxes to the count before they can even start.

The candidates have to be able to witness the count, so it has to be in one place.

And, as others have said - three different ballot papers so three counts. Mayor. Assembly member and London-wide assembly.

Logistically nigh impossible to get it counted overnight.

I think it’s just because they count them all in one place, so they’ve got to get thousands of ballot boxes to the count before they can even start.

The candidates have to be able to witness the count, so it has to be in one place.

And, as others have said - three different ballot papers so three counts. Mayor. Assembly member and London-wide assembly.

Logistically nigh impossible to get it counted overnight.

It's more the extra day that's confusing for me. Why not start the count on Friday?

I was accidentally sort of at the counts because they were at the Excel Centre.

Respectable showing for the gym bro guy amongst the also rans/nutters. His manifesto of putting creatine in the water, piping the Joe Rogan podcast into all places and compulsory ju-jitsu training for all coppers must have gone down OK. (One of those isn't made up btw)

Beaten by the animal welfare lady though. Maybe he should have promised longer exercise sessions and liver treats for the Met’s dogs.

It's more the extra day that's confusing for me. Why not start the count on Friday?
It is odd isn't it, but I wonder if it's connected to their concern that a GE might have been called for 2 May (if it was maybe they needed to leave a day between counts).

All the racist dogs in the neighbourhood love Henry Bolton (who was UKIP leader for 5 mins).
View attachment 423256
That got me thinking, was that the UKIP leader who only lasted a month.... no.... okay, was that the UKIP bod who had a fist fight in the European Parliament building.... no..... right, was that the one who took over as leader and then resigned a fortnight later.... no, he's another one... phew, so, was it the one who pretended to be a footballer and did a bit of holocaust denial in a Masters thesis.... nope.,,, Sheesh, is this the one who helped bring John Major down with his scams and grifting.... nope! Right, I'm getting really sick of this, was he the leader who defended another kipper making comments about raping Jess Phillips.... Still wrong! Okay, my very last go at this, was he the one who got sacked because of his considerably younger racist girlfriend? BINGO!

That got me thinking, was that the UKIP leader who only lasted a month.... no.... okay, was that the UKIP bod who had a fist fight in the European Parliament building.... no..... right, was that the one who took over as leader and then resigned a fortnight later.... no, he's another one... phew, so, was it the one who pretended to be a footballer and did a bit of holocaust denial in a Masters thesis.... nope.,,, Sheesh, is this the one who helped bring John Major down with his scams and grifting.... nope! Right, I'm getting really sick of this, was he the leader who defended another kipper making comments about raping Jess Phillips.... Still wrong! Okay, my very last go at this, was he the one who got sacked because of his considerably younger racist girlfriend? BINGO!

he was the one of that picture on the Underground

Huh. According to the London elects website, they did verifying on Friday and started the cunt on Saturday.
the verifying is part of the count and, with that number of ballot papers, took all day Friday. I know people who worked on the count, and they had two long days.

the verifying is part of the count and, with that number of ballot papers, took all day Friday. I know people who worked on the count, and they had two long days.

OK. Generally they're not done on separate days. That's why I was wondering. I'll just not ask next time, I think, it seems to have put people's backs up.

OK. Generally they're not done on separate days. That's why I was wondering. I'll just not ask next time, I think, it seems to have put people's backs up.
I missed the posts where people were expressing irritation. Just scrolled back, and still can't see them.

Please keep asking questions. How can any of us learn if we don't enquire?

I missed the posts where people were expressing irritation. Just scrolled back, and still can't see them.

Please keep asking questions. How can any of us learn if we don't enquire?

It was mainly OU, but TBH you sounded a little irritated or defensive too (I wasn't disparaging the people doing the count), but it might just be my interpretation.

I think it's also partly that including the verification as an extra day still doesn't really explain it, because it's been done quicker before when there have been more votes to count even when it was also counted manually. The explanation seems to be it just was done this way this time, and that's that.

Back
Top Bottom