Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Mayoral Elections 2021

Wasn't this woman one of the candidates for London mayor?, who shot her?

Doesn't specifically mention that here

Sasha Johnson: Black Lives Matter activist shot in London

Imarn Ayton, a friend of Ms Johnson's, told the BBC doctors had carried out surgery on her fellow activist, which had gone well and she was "now with her parents". She said Ms Johnson had been at a party or gathering when she was injured but she did not believe "she was the intended victim". "As far as I am aware... this incident is more related to rival gangs as opposed to her activism," Ms Ayton said.

results in my childhood ward where my parents still live - Biggin Hill :facepalm: wtf

View attachment 269583

thats the biggest Tory vote in London, even more than the richer neighboring ward where Farage lives, Darwin
When I lived in London, and when I thus knew the geography far better thsn now, I'd have guessed that Biggin Hill was well outside the Greater London boundaries.

So what borough is Biggin Hill really in then?? :confused:
Bromley?

(Could Google, but Urban answers can be more interesting ;) :D )

So what borough is Biggin Hill really in then?? :confused:
Bromley?

it's been in bromley borough (kent) since the 1890s, and the london borough of bromley since 1965

post town and telephone code are westerham (which is still in administrative kent county)

think it's one of the few places in (administrative) greater london that is not (for planning / statistical purposes) part of the greater london urban area and was outside the 'red bus' area when london country bus services was still a thing

results in my childhood ward where my parents still live - Biggin Hill :facepalm: wtf

View attachment 269583

thats the biggest Tory vote in London, even more than the richer neighboring ward where Farage lives, Darwin
I live next to the Roundshaw estate (old Croydon airport) and it returned the highest % Tory vote in the borough (55%) and just up the road is the vast St Helier estate in which the St Helier ward is composed almost 100% of SH or FSH stock and recorded the second lowest Labour % in the borough.

Unless the LP or another party offers some sort of alternative, those that bother to vote will keep on putting the X by the Johnsonist candidates.

I live next to the Roundshaw estate (old Croydon airport) and it returned the highest % Tory vote in the borough (55%) and just up the road is the vast St Helier estate in which the St Helier ward is composed almost 100% of SH or FSH stock and recorded the second lowest Labour % in the borough.

Unless the LP or another party offers some sort of alternative, those that bother to vote will keep on putting the X by the Johnsonist candidates.
When I lived in Merton (1990s) the St Helier estate was notorious for harassment of any non-white residents the council put in. So much so that they'd avoid accommodating them there if at all possible. I heard this started changing a bit due to private renting, but the real change came when three Gurkha families moved in :D

When I lived in Merton (1990s) the St Helier estate was notorious for harassment of any non-white residents the council put in. So much so that they'd avoid accommodating them there if at all possible. I heard this started changing a bit due to private renting, but the real change came when three Gurkha families moved in :D
Different ball game on the estate now; so much RTB gone to rental that the demographics have changed. There less evidence of extra-tory far-right support but the Bishopsford Road divide between Merton and Sutton still splits the estate politically (yellow line).
To the North, in Merton, Khan on 40-50% and to the South, in Sutton, scraping 25%.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 11.02.52.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 11.02.52.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 4

Forgive my ignorance - what does SH and FSH stand for?

My experiences of Biggin Hill match with the voting results. Odd place, the worst pub I’ve ever been in is there, and definitely doesn’t feel like it’s in London.

Forgive my ignorance - what does SH and FSH stand for?

My experiences of Biggin Hill match with the voting results. Odd place, the worst pub I’ve ever been in is there, and definitely doesn’t feel like it’s in London.
Social Housing and Former Social Housing ("right to buy" & sold off, often to rentiers).

Can you remember which pub? :D
yeah its pretty Kentish. The main issue about it is its isolated - no train station for miles, just an occasional slow bus into Bromley.

Can you remember which pub? :D
yeah its pretty Kentish. The main issue about it is its isolated - no train station for miles, just an occasional slow bus into Bromley.
The Flying Machine. Down in the valley.

I used to go running with a mate around the country lanes, so nice footpaths around there.

Back
Top Bottom