Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Census 2021

I'll tick English. I'm certainly not Scottish or Welsh. British is much more a political identity than a cultural one, and with the decline of empire and devolution/independence, one that is increasingly anachronistic. I was born in England, I live in England, I sound English, I share (willingly or unwillingly) a bunch of cultural cues, customs and norms that are recognisably English to Scots or Welsh. I'm not an English nationalist, or any kind of nationalist, but that doesn't stop me being English.
For me the British option is the only one that fits, my family is a mix of irish and english, my mother was born in wales as was 2 of my younger brothers and sister, my dad in england as was one of my brothers and i was born in a british military hospital in germany , I don't feel welsh even though I've lived here most of my life, I'm not english, I'm not irish though I'm eligible for an irish passport, British is whats left. And I'm happy with that.

Having been born, and only lived in England, I will choose English, assuming I get a chance to fill it in as I may still be living in a hotel on the date.

Objectively that might be true, but the question actually invites respondents to describe their national identity. So, if that's how Kenny wants to describe it, I guess that's the correct response for him?
Actually, if they want me to describe it, maybe I should write them a 500 word essay. “Well, let me start four generations ago, when the British colonialists were driven out of Ireland, the Cypriots were living in small villages and a minor Italian princeling lost all his money gambling and womanising in his way across the Mediterranean...”

Actually, if they want be to describe it, maybe I should write them a 500 word essay. “Well, let me start four generations ago, when the British colonialists were driven out of Ireland, the Cypriots were living in small villages and a minor Italian princeling lost all his money gambling and womanising in his way across the Mediterranean...”
see additional sheet 14. :D

OK, so this year's Census question 15 is the ethnicity one; it is compulsory to respond:

the additions appear to be:
a) "Roma" tick box in "White"
b) a write-in option under the "Black, African background" tick box.

1614780188875.png

...and here's the similar question from the previous 3 census forms:

2011:
1614780299089.png 20011614780337858.png

19911614780357874.png

I suppose one pretty obvious question is how are people supposed to know their own ethnicity?

I guess it’s possible to be adopted with no information about your parentage
But even that presupposes that your biological parents were/are aware of their ethnic group and/or passed on that information.
For instance, my mother's 'maiden name' can be discerned as being of Irish origin or possibly a bastardisation of an Huguenot surname. She doesn't know and neither do I.

Last edited:
Neither does my Father, for that matter, but he'd probably opt for Anglo-Saxon or that first white option. Not sure where that leaves me.

I guess it’s possible to be adopted with no information about your parentage
true, but you probably still have an idea of your 'ethnicity' - a highly malleable concept. And there is room for unsure in the final write in box.

The wording of the question asks that your one response "best describes your ethnic group or background", so if you have an Irish mother and English father... :confused:

Any Other Mixed....

It's almost as if you are desperate to find problems that aren't really there

Any Other Mixed....

It's almost as if you are desperate to find problems that aren't really there
I suppose that's right, it's just that the first 3 option boxes there appear primarily addressed towards 'mixed colour' ethnicities, it might not be immediately obvious that someone wishing to define a mixed 'white' ethnicity should tick that box.

OK, so this year's Census question 15 is the ethnicity one; it is compulsory to respond:

the additions appear to be:
a) "Roma" tick box in "White"
b) a write-in option under the "Black, African background" tick box.

View attachment 257126

...and here's the similar question from the previous 3 census forms:

2011:
View attachment 257127 2001View attachment 257128

1991View attachment 257129

I suppose one pretty obvious question is how are people supposed to know their own ethnicity?
ah but it's not 'what are you' but 'what best describes' so there'll be a level of self-definition going on there

certainly none of the tick-box options really matches how i'd self-describe to government

Back
Top Bottom