Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Census 2021

According to the state, (ONS), it does. If believers in Scientology thought it were not a religion they could tick the "No religion" box.
All of which, again, brings into focus the value of the question.
massive logic fail there.

Such data is collated and released - 81 people put heavy metal as their religion in Sheffield last time. For all practical purposes they are filed along with any other non-believers, or maybe as 'others' depending upon the whim of whoever is using the data . They are too few to statistically significant to show up as even 0.1% anywhere other than Brighton, which means they don't particularly impact upon any other groups' figures. They have yet to claim any form of discrimination against them or adaptations required (in the workplace say) to meet the needs of their belief system , nor have they tried to claim charitable status which would force the law to clarify the situation. Oddly enough, simply writing something in a box doesn't make it magically become a reality.

Oh, I should have spent six seconds googling.

Jedi isn't a religion, the Charity Commission so ruled in 2016.

If they’re going to start ruling on what is and isn’t a “real” religion, they’re going to have to explain what the line is and why they chose it.

I've not claimed that the census question is logical. :confused:
No, you claimed that because one government department includes space to write whatever you like to describe your religion, that means that the state accepts whatever is written there as a 'religion' in any other circumstance. It does not.

All it means is that sometime next year there will be a number of the amount of people who wrote 'jedi' on a form.

I am actually a member of the Church of the Latter Day Dude

They do certificates of ordination as well and you can become a Dudeist Priest.
I've forgotten which church I'm ordained in, but it allows me to carry out weddings in 31 states (it claimed at the time)

No, you claimed that because one government department includes space to write whatever you like to describe your religion, that means that the state accepts whatever is written there as a 'religion' in any other circumstance. It does not.

All it means is that sometime next year there will be a number of the amount of people who wrote 'jedi' on a form.
But those ticking the "Other religion" box will figure in the state's (ONS) data.
I think you're getting a bit confused about what a religion is and what the Charity Commission considers a religion for the purpose of defining charitable tax status. For instance, Paganism is recorded under 'Other Religions' and yet the Pagan federation has not succeeded in attaining charitable status.

Did the ONS go back and disaggregate the 2011 Jedi data from the 'Other religion' category and add them to 'No religion'?

So, I'm struggling to see how you can cast a discussion about the definition of religion in the religion question in the census in a thread about the census as "irrelevant'. :D
Cos we were talking about whether Jedi was a religion or not. It isn’t. People can put it in a field on a survey form but doing that doesn’t make it a religion

But those ticking the "Other religion" box will figure in the state's (ONS) data.
I think you're getting a bit confused about what a religion is and what the Charity Commission considers a religion for the purpose of defining charitable tax status. For instance, Paganism is recorded under 'Other Religions' and yet the Pagan federation has not succeeded in attaining charitable status.

Did the ONS go back and disaggregate the 2011 Jedi data from the 'Other religion' category and add them to 'No religion'?
No, as I have already said twice, they give the exact number of people writing jedi and leave it up to whoever is using the data to do with it what they want. That's a beauty of the data, the interpretation is actually left to the user, it isn't determined by the state, or even by the ONS.

I note how you have changed the terms of your argument though.

No, as I have already said twice, they give the exact number of people writing jedi and leave it up to whoever is using the data to do with it what they want. That's a beauty of the data, the interpretation is actually left to the user, it isn't determined by the state, or even by the ONS.

I note how you have changed the terms of your argument though.
No, you're wrong about that. The discussion wasn't about the 'beauty' of how the data might be interpreted; it was just about whether or not the state statisticians include write-in religions under the 'Other religion' category.

Here is a link to the file which shows the full classification of religions in
England and Wales and how they were grouped for the Key Statistics KS07

In a response to an FoI about the Jedi inclusion the ONS said:

The religion question was voluntary in the 2001 Census. Respondents were
given the opporunity to write in their religion in the 'any other
religion' box. All 'write in' religions would have been assigned to one
of the codes in the above file. Jedi was included so that it could be
autocoded rather than referred for manual intervention as there was a
campaign to encourage people to enter this on the form.

Subjective belief combined with ritual makes something a religion. If it’s sincerely held, I don’t see that any outsider can countermand that

Cos we were talking about whether Jedi was a religion or not. It isn’t. People can put it in a field on a survey form but doing that doesn’t make it a religion
Maybe that's what you thought was being discussed. What I said was that the state statisticians included it in their 'Other religions' category.

Back
Top Bottom