Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2021 Local elections

Greens didn't even stand in Tewkesbury last time! :D
I wonder how much coverage the obvious trend of Labour losing metro votes to the Greens will have compared to the Tory surge narrative

(Not Tewkesbury obvs :D No idea what happened there, though I guess some of those would have been Labour previously)

I wonder how much coverage the obvious trend of Labour losing metro votes to the Greens will have compared to the Tory surge narrative

(Not Tewkesbury obvs :D No idea what happened there, though I guess some of those would have been Labour previously)
Yeah, looking at the previous looks like she hoovered up all the "not a Tory" votes for about six candidates. She was the losing green candidate back then in Bishop's Cleeve by looks of it too.

183875166_10157624653106986_5908940658374576670_n.jpg

Welsh Labour holding up well - seems that even insipid opposition to the Tories at Westminster has paid dividends. Interestingly the Brexit vote seems to have returned to Labour in Wales while it quite spectacularly hasn't in England, especially in non Welsh speaking but Welsh identifying areas like the Valleys. There's probably a thread to be hadon the divergent national identities of the UK constituent nations and the increasingly divergent politics that are forming.

Eta. Gutted for Leanne Wood. Plaid have lost their best asset.

Last edited:
Welsh Labour holding up well - seems that even insipid opposition to the Tories at Westminster has paid dividends. Interestingly the Brexit vote seems to have returned to Labour in Wales while it quite spectacularly hasn't in England, especially in non Welsh speaking but Welsh identifying areas like the Valleys. There's probably a thread to be hadon the divergent national identities of the UK constituent nations and the increasingly divergent politics that are forming.

Eta. Gutted for Leanne Wood. Plaid have lost their best asset.

It’s now the joint best ever performance by Labour in the Senedd (or Assembly), and an effective majority with the Llywydd taken into account. Probably through a combination of the extra exposure Drakeford has had, coupled with forthright, honest and succesful delivery of pandemic policies - even when the policies were unpopular. Also not being afraid to champion ‘traditional’ labour values (excuse the vagueness of that!). There’s also the pleasing sight of previoud UKIP votes not falling Tory - theBritish (English) Nationalist posturing of the tories is like poison here. Hopefully they can hold their own whilst English Labour gets its act together.....if only a welshman led the UK party:)

It is sad to see Leanne leave the scene, but Buffy is very credible and a great community activist.

Could only think of 'Vampire Slayer' when I saw 'Buffy' above :eek:

Which seems innappropriately unfair on Leanne Wood! :( :oops:

Overall, I'm quite astonished at how well Labour seem to have done in Wales, I was expecting a bigger boost for Plaid and for Labour to lose seats :confused:

Ah, (apols for stating the obvious but) we have had a Welshman in this position, Cwmflame. First time I left the LP in disgust in the appalling Kinnock period. Don't really feel nationalism appropriate anywhere tbh.

It was an excellent night for the "Three Wales Model". I had hoped for a coalition to drag Welsh Labour left a bit (the hot takes from England about Welsh Labour being Corbynism are depressingly fucking laughable) but I'll take heart that there are no UKIP/Abolish/Reform wankers in the Senedd. And Neil McEvoy got fewer votes than the Plaid candidate round here and is out the Senedd which is :thumbs:

Labour won easily in (or on? ;) ) Gower as well -- this was a much more marginal seat previously :

Wales Online said:
Labour increased their majority from the last Welsh Assembly elections - from a 1,829 vote victory in 2016, to victory by 4,795 this time round.

Rebecca Evans said : "It is always close on Gower, we've seen that before.

"But the reception we got on the doorstep was really warm.

"I think there is a lot of respect out there for Mark Drakeford, and how he's handled the pandemic, and I think the result shows that ...

That last line from Rebecca Evans** -- discuss!

(**My good festival and beer-drinking pal Eddie was helping her campaign. He's an old school Labour activist and ward organiser in the city fringe of the Gower constituency, he said last Saturday that things were looking bad for the Tories and positive for Labour in Gower. Some people on the ground can often predict things well, I've found).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom