Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Local Elections 2023

Kind of agree with that...and there's always the pre-GE convergence and the LD local performance will not be matched in the real thing etc. but, but... I can't help thinking that folk in vermin seats are getting a taste for tactical voting.
My instincts are that things can only get worse for Labour when it comes to a gen election because they've nothing to say. In fact the very things that would cut through, about public services, public ownership and even modest redistribution are the very things Labour will never come out with, tainted as they are as 'Corbynist'. Sadly, I'd still think that even if Labour had had a 10%+ lead here. :(

Or to put it another way, it would take a very special party/leader to lose to the vermin in 2024... oh.

1683314511223.png
True Blue Yokel Land the missing 3 seats are Hilton Ward (famous as the site of Chez Q), the count there has been abandoned for some reason. Probably the possibility because Hilton might return a Labour councillor and the freak chance that (after 45 years of voting) my vote has finally made a difference has in fact broken reality at some fundamental level.

Just realised there is an upside to the yellow wankers winning a seat here - they might finally stop sending their stupid leaflets every other week. Save me trips to the recycling bin.

This baffled me about our local toilets at the park, the disabled one is open, always. Makes sense, the other two toilets are always fucking closed and make up 90% of the building. So then every single person uses the disabled one and the mess per cubicle is massively increased. I have been here 9 years and not once has the mens been open when I tried to use it, maybe its open on some secret schedule but I am fucked if I know what it is.

innit.
Lad lives down the Level end, not up on the middle-class mountain.
Park Crescent & Richmond Terrace smack bang on The Level & very much rich property. Then there’s Phoenix Rise which is totally different. Ten strides down the road into Richmond Parade & it’s hostels & half way houses.

Park Crescent & Richmond Terrace smack bang on The Level & very much rich property. Then there’s Phoenix Rise which is totally different. Ten strides down the road into Richmond Parade & it’s hostels & half way houses.
Bit too detailed/hyper-local for me! They lived in a Kemptown flat for ages and have only been on the Grove for about a year...so, I'm not familiar with the bit of town they're in now. I keep on asking him why we don't ever go to one of the pubs nearby and there's always a reason not to (apparently) and we end up going back to Kemptown or into the Wagon (which suits me OK for the ale.).

I've never taken the Green Party seriously. Not sure if I should... their policies seem vaguely sensible.. :hmm:
They find it quite easy to put some sensible things in manifestos at times, partly because on the national level they know they will never be tested by gaining real power.

In practice when they get local power they tend to demonstrate that you cant trust them from a class point of view, they are too middle class and find it easy to shit on workers.

And by the sounds of it a lot of the votes they've picked up on some placves are for the same reason they got a foothold in a few wards round here in recent decades - not broader green issues at all, but NIMBY anti new housing estate votes from people who would previously have voted tory. I'm not claiming thats the picture everywhere, in some places they may gain a younger, 'progressive' vote for other reasons, but the NIMBY stuff is certainly one big notable chunk of their local electoral success picture in this era.

Last edited:
I only had two names on my ballot, a tory and a green. So I voted for the green, I have met them and like them so it wasn't just a protest vote.

Anyhow my greeny got just 411 votes while the tory got more than a thousand and was duly elected.

Shucks

Our (incumbent) green won - I voted for her, but I only had the choice of her, a Tory and some random independent.

Overall though Hereford returned more Tories. :facepalm:

I think it's the same in Wyre Forest - Worcestershire - the thing I noticed was how many of the elections for the rural wards were uncontested, with just one or two Tories standing, and no one else.

And by the sounds of it a lot of the votes they've picked up on some placves are for the same reason they got a foothold in a few wards round here in recent decades - not broader green issues at all, but NIMBY anti new housing estate votes from people who would previously have voted tory. I'm not claiming thats the picture everywhere, in some places they may gain a younger, 'progressive' vote for other reasons, bit the NIMBY stuff is certainly one big notable chunk of their local electoral success picture in this era.
I understand from a mate that that was the case in Folkestone.. the Tories were planning on building flats on a load of green belt land or summat.

the count there has been abandoned for some reason. Probably the possibility because Hilton might return a Labour councillor and the freak chance that (after 45 years of voting) my vote has finally made a difference has in fact broken reality at some fundamental level.

tory candidate died suddenly

A local election in Derbyshire has been abandoned after one of the candidates died while counting was under way.

Gillian Lemmon, an incumbent Conservative councillor running for the Hilton ward in South Derbyshire, died on Friday.

She was taken ill a few days ago and her condition “suddenly deteriorated”, her Tory co-candidate Sundip Meghani said.

Meghani was at the count when his co-candidate died at around 12.45pm.

“We all gathered outside to be given the news, I think it was around 2ish,” he told the PA news agency.

Because Lemmon died before the declaration had been made, the district council’s returning officer decided to abandon the count.

A by-election will take place later this summer for all three seats in the Hilton ward.

I understand from a mate that that was the case in Folkestone.. the Tories were planning on building flats on a load of green belt land or summat.
There's loads of it. It's all along the sea front, there's a big plot in Hythe, that I think is in trouble, and then there's a whole like new town or something nearby.

Back
Top Bottom