Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Local Elections 2023

I think he has to resign one of the seats and there has to be a by -election , obviously the Council that he resigns from will have to foot the bill for the cost of the by-election. He is a cllr in Salford.

I don't think there's any law against that. Lots of so called double hatting. Although can't imagine hrs going to enjoy the commute

Lib dem here like before. The smug Lib Dem counsellor for my local ward and his mate been voted out though! ha ha. 2 greens instead (who I voted for). Only the other day Lib Dem guy jokingly refered to himself as "the mayor" at some community festival event. Fuck off mate.

Dudley is bnp/brexit territory so not surprising labour not cutting through.

Well it’s not “BNP territory” is it? Dudley North has returned labour MPs until 2019 and Dudley South is a more marginal place. As someone involved in anti-fascist activity in the 1990’s I can say that compared to say, Tipton and Bloxwich, the BNP never made ground on the estates in Dudley.

And conflating the BNP and Brexit is just odd.

In fact you entire reply to my post is odd.

Last edited:
Well it’s not “BNP territory” is it? Dudley North has returned labour MPs until 2019 and Dudley South is a more marginal place. As someone involved in anti-fascist politics in the 1990’s I can say that compared to say, Tipton and Bloxwich, the BNP never made ground on the estates in Dudley.

And conflating the BNP and Brexit is just odd.

In fact you entire reply to my post is odd.
I'll get my coat and leave you be.

I'll get my coat and leave you be.

Well, unless you’ve actually got anything coherent to say - on either Labour’s failure to win in areas that should be and once were it’s natural constituency: Walsall for example or why you seem to think the BNP are in control of Dudley - then fair enough.

I don't think there's any law against that. Lots of so called double hatting. Although can't imagine hrs going to enjoy the commute
No law, he only has to turn up at one meeting eery six months.

He said that his Gloucester candidature was only a paper one as he had no chance of winning. Which is quite believable. But now he's won it he says he will resign his Manchester seat and stay down south.

Lib dem here like before. The smug Lib Dem counsellor for my local ward and his mate been voted out though! ha ha. 2 greens instead (who I voted for). Only the other day Lib Dem guy jokingly refered to himself as "the mayor" at some community festival event. Fuck off mate.
Our overall council control is labour, as usual, our town council is lib dem for the second time (it's been labour for decades before that). The new (and the outgoing) libdem councillor is a local hero, known in the area for fighting to save a community centre from closure, getting the lease extended so I'm not surprised she was voted in. Especially seeing as the other contenders tried some super transparent electioneering in the month before the polls. People want evidence and results round here, rather than hot air. Prior ro Lib dem getting in a few years ago, Labour lost their seat in the town because of cuts, our library, sports centre and pool were all demolished and we are left with wasteland and a Lidl in their place.

I've never taken the Green Party seriously. Not sure if I should... their policies seem vaguely sensible.. :hmm:

Speaking in Windsor, where his party took control of the council from the Conservatives, Sir Ed said: "The Liberal Democrats are the big winners in this year's local elections.

"I'm so proud that when Katy Perry and Lionel Richie enter Windsor Castle for the coronation concert on Sunday, they'll be going into a ward that's represented by three brand new Liberal Democrat councillors."

The whole county is Tory, after we stupidly voted out of the EU overall with a not full Tory council, people then decided to make it official since we lost an insane amount of funding. Who immediately got nearly 10% of the councils employees made redundant, which is the largest employer in the county. So that was, weird.

Also seems we have no elections this year anyway.

Last edited:
In terms of where the parties are at, rather than the actual local election seats/councils, I'd have thought it's not all that great for Labour,

It would leave them short of an overall majority in Westminster and:
with a vote share across 1,500 wards Labour is the most popular party with 36%, with the Conservative share 29%, Lib Dems with 18% and others standing at 17%.

I haven't looked beyond the headlines and which seats Labour are winning/not winning. There are also a lot of independent votes in play there that will be resdistributed at the general election. And a 7% lead is of course a decent lead. Same time, this feels like nothing more than the normal reaction you get against a governing party, mid term, nothing like the kind of wipeout that might have occurred in the Truss 'era'.

The so-called 'blue-wall' in Kent has come under attack on 3 fronts with Labour hammering in the North, the Greens mopping up in the South & Weald and even the LDs have picked up in some of the posh bits of 'Greater Surrey' or West Kent as its known:

View attachment 373495
View attachment 373497
View attachment 373498
Dad_s-Army-map-for-tweets-300.jpg

Don't panic!

In terms of where the parties are at, rather than the actual local election seats/councils, I'd have thought it's not all that great for Labour,

It would leave them short of an overall majority in Westminster and:

I haven't looked beyond the headlines and which seats Labour are winning/not winning. There are also a lot of independent votes in play there that will be resdistributed at the general election. And a 7% lead is of course a decent lead. Same time, this feels like nothing more than the normal reaction you get against a governing party, mid term, nothing like the kind of wipeout that might have occurred in the Truss 'era'.

Kind of agree with that...and there's always the pre-GE convergence and the LD local performance will not be matched in the real thing etc. but, but... I can't help thinking that folk in vermin seats are getting a taste for tactical voting.

Labour majority in Brighton & Hove, first time in a long time! Massive shift in the Hanover & Elm Grove ward which has been the Green stronghold for all of that time - off you fuck!

E2a: I wouldn’t trust the rich middle class hippies that have voted Green for years who have now shifted. Scratch a hippy…

Back
Top Bottom