Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2021 Local elections

My brother lives in Folkestone East and tbh I reckon the change there is almost entirely down to incomers from London

My brother lives in Folkestone East and tbh I reckon the change there is almost entirely down to incomers from London
Yeah, definitely a growing factor in some East Kent towns. That and the centrifugal movement of HE workers out from Canterbury into slightly more “affordable” places like Faversham.

It's not getting a lot of attention, but Labour is having an horrendous meltdown in the results for the Police and Crime Commissioner elections. So far they've lost Cheshire, Cleveland, Derbyshire, Humberside, Leicestershire, and Nottinghamshire. Notably, they hung on in West Mids (while losing the mayoral election) and in Durham (where Labour lost control of the County Council for the first time in a century). Still waiting for Lancashire and South Yorkshire (and West Yorks metro-mayor), which ought to be safe, but who knows?

The complete clear-out in the east midlands ought to be of particular concern for Labour as it suggest the 'Hartlepool factor' extends pretty far south!

A bit more perspective on those PCC results - when they were last elected in 2016, these were the Labour vote shares (after the second round of voting):
  • Cleveland - 62%
  • Humberside - 60%
  • Leicestershire - 57%
  • Nottinghamshire - 61%
In this context, the Lancashire result could be interesting as Labour's vote share in 2016 was 56% - well within Tory range if the results above are any guide.

And worth adding that these seats were all won by Labour (in most cases by substantial majorities) under Corbyn.

Doubled from last time on a smaller turnout so % would be more than twice last time I think

Disgruntled Labour lefts unhappy with Starmer & Rees but with a second choice vote for safety if they want to stop a particular candidate - I went TUSC/Rees for that very reason

Yep same.

As for the PCC, meh.

I thought we already knew that without recourse to the PCCs.
in the west midlands, where the labour pcc candidate was left and the labour mayoral candidate was a blairite and the pcc won and the blairite lost, the pcc vote tells us something nothing else can in such exact detail. you vote for the two together and in the west midlands we have an actual figure for people who voted for one and not the other, even with the ballots in front of them and the pen in their hand.

the pcc thing might in itself be utterly irrelevant but as a tool for comparison its relevant and valid and tells us things that nothing else can in quite the same way.

I think the Tories will be shitting themselves before Worthing Borough Council results are declared today, having seen Labour take those 5 out of 9 seats in the town's county council election, 4 gains from the Tories & 1 from the LibDems.

Labour has 10 out of 37 seats on the borough council, and looking at the 13 seats up for election this year, I think they will take 5 or 6, more than that and it could end-up being 'no overall control', with 2 or 3 LibDems holding the balance of power, never thought that would happen here!

Worthing Borough Council election results just in - Labour took another 5 seats off the Tories, as I expected, but didn't take the LibDem one, which I thought was borderline. Bloody tight, Tories keeping control with 19 seats, a majority of just one, Labour 15 & LibDems 3.

Considering Labour had no seats before 2017, and the Tories had 31 & UKIP 2, that's incredible, especially after taking 5 out of 9 Worthing seats on West Sussex County Council yesterday, when they've never held any before.

Worthing Borough Council election results just in - Labour took another 5 seats off the Tories, as I expected, but didn't take the LibDem one, which I thought was borderline. Bloody tight, Tories keeping control with 19 seats, a majority of just one, Labour 15 & LibDems 3.

Considering Labour had no seats before 2017, and the Tories had 31 & UKIP 2, that's incredible, especially after taking 5 out of 9 Worthing seats on West Sussex County Council yesterday, when they've never held any before.
Your town is now woke. Sorry :(

Don't know if we've had this yet, (& I don't often suggest viewing a LD tweet clip), but these 2 clips of the Chessington South by-election results announcement are worth a watch...

Some of the 13 OMRLP candidates beat TUSC's 7 votes.

No mention yet of my neighbouring mayor - Cambridgeshire & Peterborough’s incumbent Tory was ousted against all expectations by a Labour paediatrician whose priority is more social housing and taking over the buses.

I think this came about because there was quite a bit of switching from LibDem to Labour.

I think this came about because there was quite a bit of switching from LibDem to Labour.

There‘s probably a fair bit of this down south, lib dem voters must hate Johnson so much (for Brexit and nationalism) that a tactical switch to Labour is considered, especially with a non-radical leader. Generally the LD vote looks pretty poor doesn’t it?

There‘s probably a fair bit of this down south, lib dem voters must hate Johnson so much (for Brexit and nationalism) that a tactical switch to Labour is considered, especially with a non-radical leader. Generally the LD vote looks pretty poor doesn’t it?

Yes, although in South and East Cambridgeshire where it’s just them vs Tories, they did very well, no doubt helped by recent Tory corruption/ineptness.

No mention yet of my neighbouring mayor - Cambridgeshire & Peterborough’s incumbent Tory was ousted against all expectations by a Labour paediatrician whose priority is more social housing and taking over the buses.

My sis says there's a lot of ill feeling because of local NHS shenanigans by the tories.

Bristol City Council, Labour lose overall control:

Labour 24 (-13)
Green 24 (+13)
Con 14 (nc)
Lib Dem 8 (nc)

Absolute shocker of an election for Labour. Didn't just lose in the woolly liberal muesli belt of Bishopston etc but managed to lose seats to the Greens in more w/c areas like Eastville, Bedminster, Lockleaze (on a 40 point swing!) & Lawrence Hill. Labour did manage to avoid meltdown around the edges of the city however, vote holding up pretty well in areas where the Tories were the main threat. Which should tell them something.

After Rees' return last night, this is a sobering moment. Must have been a fair amount of split ticket voting with Rees for mayor but Greens for the council

Back
Top Bottom