Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Which jab did you have - Astra Zeneca or Pfizer? And what side effects?

What jab? What side effects?

• I had the Pfizer

Votes: 66 18.6%
  • I had the Astra Zeneca

Votes: 125 35.2%
  • I don't know what I had

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pfizer + no side effects

Votes: 65 18.3%
  • Pfizer + some side effects lasting less than/about 48 hours

Votes: 38 10.7%
  • Pfizer + side effects lasting more than 2 days

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • AZ + no side effects

Votes: 51 14.4%
  • AZ + some side effects lasting less than/about 48 hours

Votes: 121 34.1%
  • AZ + side effects lasting more than 2 days

Votes: 37 10.4%
  • Something else (explain yourself)

Votes: 13 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IMO at the end of the day you are one person and the benefits to society are only going to be very marginally affected by you either getting or not getting the 2nd dose, whereas you might be quite badly affected. As long as enough other people are getting it then it's ok that some don't or can't. Might be worth having a chat with your gp. Are you in any long covid groups? Is that where you got the anecdotal info?
I am in long covid groups and a lot of people have struggled with vaccine reactions. Advice is in all directions though, predictably. I have another friend with long covid who is thinking of not having the vaccine at all because there is (going from rough early figures) perhaps a 25% chance it will make you feel better and a 20% chance it will make you feel worse. That 20% feels an unbearable risk to him after the struggles he's been through and, chronic fatigue being what it is (so much worse than most people/doctors imagine it to be), I can't blame him - though I've encouraged him to get the pfizer as it generally seems to have less side effects.

My experience of GPS is that they simply parrot whatever the latest guidelines are from NICE or whoever and don't keep up with the latest research. Which makes it feel pointless to go and see them. My sister in law is a GP and she has nothing to say on it. Not her fault. Being on LC forums I've become aware of one of the small advantages of a decentralised healthcare system as in the US - it means doctors can be a bit more adventurous and willing to try things out. GPs here will literally read the guidance off the screen at you. Standardisation has advantages but the faster-evolving the evidence is, the more useless it becomes.

Frankly this is the problem with listening to people who are ill in order to make complex decisions. Long covid groups are not the best places for decisions regarding vaccination. Although there are lots of medical professionals and smart well meaning people, they are still ill and in the same boat as you.

Even if it causes a relapse or worsening of symptoms it is still preventing you from getting ill again, perhaps seriously so. From anecdotal evidence, a lot of people are having worse reactions to the first AZ jab. There's also plenty of evidence of some long covid people getting better with the vaccine... and very few are getting worse, even if they are having a relapse.

As someone suffering with long covid too, although I do keep an eye on my symptoms and obvs dont want to get worse, it's important to not think of recovery as a linear process where you just feel better and better day by day. In reality that rarely happens... even with a cold!! What feels like getting worse may just as likely be the pathway to recovery. I am not suggesting military fitness at dawn and graded exercise when youre in a wheelchair but still...

Frankly this is the problem with listening to people who are ill in order to make complex decisions. Long covid groups are not the best places for decisions regarding vaccination. Although there are lots of medical professionals and smart well meaning people, they are still ill and in the same boat as you.

Even if it causes a relapse or worsening of symptoms it is still preventing you from getting ill again, perhaps seriously so. From anecdotal evidence, a lot of people are having worse reactions to the first AZ jab. There's also plenty of evidence of some long covid people getting better with the vaccine... and very few are getting worse, even if they are having a relapse.

As someone suffering with long covid too, although I do keep an eye on my symptoms and obvs dont want to get worse, it's important to not think of recovery as a linear process where you just feel better and better day by day. In reality that rarely happens... even with a cold!! What feels like getting worse may just as likely be the pathway to recovery. I am not suggesting military fitness at dawn and graded exercise when youre in a wheelchair but still...
The problem with this decision is the lack of evidence. Listening to a doctor who lacks evidence over an ill person who lacks evidence isn't necessarily as helpful as you suggest. And in fact since, as I pointed out, GPs tend not to keep up with the latest published results, 'ill people' sometimes have more evidence at the moment, what with having more time to spend reading medical journals. I try to go on that evidence rather than whatever else people are saying on the groups.

Went to see a mate at the weekend who said after her second jab (Pfizer I pfink) she was shivering so much her Fitbit said she’d entered the ‘carb burning zone’
Mine thinks I sleep 10 hours a night. It thinks I've gone asleep about, ooo, 15 mins after my first vape of the night 😅

Anyway, had my 2nd jab at 4pm. Expecting an easier ride this time around.

Keeping an eye on Canada as they also used AZ - they recommend mixing shots, so they seem to be reading the evidence differently to the UK, or be ahead. I wonder if the advice will change here soon: Interchangeability of authorized COVID-19 vaccines: NACI rapid response - Canada.ca
Canada will also apparently make a decision soon about whether to recommend that people who got covid get a second shot. They will presumably comment on the advisability with the different vaccines they use.

The problem with this decision is the lack of evidence. Listening to a doctor who lacks evidence over an ill person who lacks evidence isn't necessarily as helpful as you suggest. And in fact since, as I pointed out, GPs tend not to keep up with the latest published results, 'ill people' sometimes have more evidence at the moment, what with having more time to spend reading medical journals. I try to go on that evidence rather than whatever else people are saying on the groups.

Faid play some good points But still, sorry I think thats putting too much pressure on yourself... a lot of the medical journal stuff is quite dense and complex. It's also not conclusive either and easy to see what you What is pretty conclusive is that having 2 vaccines offers better protection than one however it seems covid prior infections have a much stronger reaction to the first jab anyway. So realistically it might not make so much difference in the short term.. but in the medium long term probably better to have the second dose.

I dont follow any of the long covid groups cos I cba to hear about folks being ill constantly. In the words of my Weegie long covid pen pal "the vaccine is gonna help so much. I got AZ tho which has been quite an extreme response. i felt fucking shit after the first vaccine... but after that week or so of feeling fucking shit I felt a hundred times better! fuck all those groups man.. the vaccine literally helped cure my long covid."

Andddd quite aside from the long covid symptom stuff its obviously logical to have the vaccine and twice same as everyone else for continuity purposes and to protect others bla bla bla. Who the fuck wants to get covid again anyway having been through this? I'll willingly feel shit for a few months rather than that....

So its been 46 hours and Ive not really had any side effects from the Pfizer 1st jab.

Sore arm Tuesday night, bit hard to sleep on and some slightly disturbed sleep. Then weird vivid dreams last night. Also got mild shivers and chills that evening. Was very sensitive to sunlight yesterday ufff.. and felt a bit weird on and off. And had quite a big appetite too. I was surprised I wasnt more knackered and achy though... went for a bit of an evening walk in fact.

However, all of these things have been part of my long covid symptoms anyway. So... no side effects IMO.

Sorry, haven’t read the thread! Just wondering - today both me and my wife got pfizer shot no, 2.

I‘m fine, but she has a sharp pain in her thumb on the same side the injection was. It started directly after the jab, so definately connected.

What could that be, and is it something to be worried about?

So Canada, who seem committed to responding to evidence more quickly than the UK, have now stated that an mRNA vaccine is the preferred option for second dose if your first vaccine was AZ. NACI COVID-19 vaccine statement, June 17, 2021: Summary - Canada.ca

However I have also discovered that this information is probably useless in the UK as generally GPs are refusing to specify an mRNA vaccine for second dose even for those who had a bad reaction to AZ, except in the cases of allergic reactions or life-threatening interactions with existing illnesses.

So Canada, who seem committed to responding to evidence more quickly than the UK, have now stated that an mRNA vaccine is the preferred option for second dose if your first vaccine was AZ. NACI COVID-19 vaccine statement, June 17, 2021: Summary - Canada.ca

However I have also discovered that this information is probably useless in the UK as generally GPs are refusing to specify an mRNA vaccine for second dose even for those who had a bad reaction to AZ, except in the cases of allergic reactions or life-threatening interactions with existing illnesses.

Given the widespread manufactured outrage back when it was first suggested that a different second-dose vaccine could be used in exceptional circumstances, it was inevitable that the UK wouldn't be at the forefront of jab-mixing.

As mentioned in post #1559, Com-COV reports later this month and that might bring about a change in strategy (or not, if the results are not promising).

I'm due to have second AZ in a week but am doing a bit of research over whether I want it or not. I've had long covid and was almost recovered and the first AZ shot really fucked me up. I kept thinking I was recovered (and posted that I was here) but in fact I am not recovered seven weeks later and it feels like it could take months more to recover. Options I have considered:
a) Taking the second one and hoping that the generally milder reaction to AZ second dose will play in my favour - but it does feel like playing russian roulette with my health
b) Getting my doctor to approve Pfizer for second dose, which might be possible but difficult - and I saw some data that says mixing vaccines can produce higher side effects
c) Not getting a second dose at all - anecdotally a couple of people with long covid who have had anti-body monitoring have been told not to have second dose because their anti-bodies are so sky-high after the first, and there is some talk that those who had covid at all may not need a second dose.

None of these options are good to be honest, and it's not clear if the evidence points towards any one of them strongly enough, though I'd be happy to hear if people know of any other evidence.
Don't ask why I am here. But for your info in Germany everyone who has had Covid, will just have one jab about 6 month later. That is apparently enough to ensure good Antibodies.

As mentioned in post #1559, Com-COV reports later this month and that might bring about a change in strategy (or not, if the results are not promising).
Thanks, this is interesting to know. I don't understand though why Canada thinks it has the data already and the UK doesn't.

Not really looked at the poll results on this thread before. Looks like a pretty clear trend of people feeling worse after the AZ vaccine.

Standard banter at work is that the AZ is 'the shit one' and I know a few people who chose a specific vaccine centre so they got the pfizer one. Me being technically a young person, I got the pfizer by default.

I'm now seriously considering cancelling the 2nd AZ jab, in the hope advice might change in line with Canada and I'll be able to get Pfizer. This would (a) put in my body less viral vector vaccine, which my body has clearly stated it doesn't like, and (b) give me greater protection from delta variant. But the toss up is it could be weeks and I will only have one jab as the delta variant goes up.

As I wrote in a different thread, I had AZ for the first dose and Phizer for the second.
In both cases I was done at around lunchtime, went to bed feeling no different, and during thé night woke my wife up cos I was moaning and whining.
Both times it felt like an elephant was sitting on me. Stayed in bed all the next day, headache and general bodyache and ventured about thé house in my dressing gown the second.
Don't regret doing it though.

Had 2nd AZ last Friday, 1st one was fine other than the usual fever and mild hangover for a few days - 4 days after 2nd jab noticed a dark red/black spot on leg, 2 days after that about a third of my leg around the spot was very swollen, pulsating, throbbing, hot, itchy - so 2 symptoms of potential blood clot, phoned 111 at 6pm on Friday who said they’d phone back, walked to GP’s in meantime who told me to come back on Monday morning, walked on to A&E and stood in queue outside entrance to A&E for around an hour which never moved, so gave up and came home (to watch Scotland game) - leg still swollen all this time, went to bed, and in morning saw 111 phoned me back at 4am and left voicemail saying they think it should be seen by someone, but because I didn’t answer call (at 4am!) they were closing my case. Over last couple of days it’s developed into a large balloon like blister, with swelling around that area, doesn’t sound like blood clot but definitely some kind of side effect, never had anything like that before in my life

I hope you get it seen to soon. It sounds quite a lot like cellulitis or bullous impetigo or similar. But I only say that because I have personal experience of those things including one incident that involved a quite large blister on the leg. So I'm bound to imagine that sort of thing first, as opposed to other possibilities that I have no experience of.

Thanks Sue/elbows - it hasn’t got any worse today, just stabilised and looks weird, never experienced anything like that before, so tempting to attribute cause to vaccine but who knows - probably not blood clot related but some other weird side effect - noticed story about a women in her 30’s who had both legs completely covered in these things after AZ and was in wheelchair for weeks, my stuff is very minor in comparison

Back
Top Bottom