Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Possible serious side effects from the Astra Zeneca vaccine discussion

I should probably have pointed out that the following part of that Guardian article is just not accurate, the age limit was imposed later.
Yep. My friend who was one of the few to die of this was in his mid thirties.

I think some of the vaccine side effects have been down to the body’s response when exposed to the neutered coronavirus, and the same effects could be encountered with the wild virus. With things like myocarditis there is a higher risk of this from the virus than from the vaccine, but we here more of the vaccine risk, perhaps because (almost) nobody gets an infection on purpose, but people do choose to get the vaccine and maybe don’t expect something bad to happen.

Yes the same 'greater risk from the virus itself' has been established to be true for strokes etc too.

In the case of the AZ vaccine the numbers implied that there was a seperate clotting risk that was due to aspects of that vaccine not directly related to the coronavirus.

I do not like to describe the precise mechanism as something that is 100% established by single studies, such research can go on for years without absolutely solid single-cause conclusions, perhaps there is more than one cause, and I've not had much time to keep an eye on the subject. But here is one example from late 2021 that seemed plausible enough:

Their findings suggest it is the viral vector – in this case an adenovirus used to shuttle the coronavirus’ genetic material into cells – and the way it binds to platelet factor 4 (PF4) once injected that could be the potential mechanism.

In very rare cases, the scientists suggest, the viral vector may enter the bloodstream and bind to PF4, where the immune system then views this complex as foreign. They believe this misplaced immunity could result in the release of antibodies against PF4, which bind to and activate platelets, causing them to cluster together and triggering blood clots in a very small number of people after the vaccine is administered.

Followup article which touches on some inadequacies of the compensation system and a few other things:

They mention how some stuff gets conflated stuff with the anti-vaxers.

A more thorough article would probably have explored the origins of the 1979 Vaccine Damage Payments Act which enables this form of compensation. That act itself was brought in to increase public confidence in the wake of a crisis of confidence, after a series of vaccine scares involving children in the UK in the 1970's. The most prominent of which involved the pertussis vaccine (whooping cough), with the drop in vaccination rates against that disease leading to an epidemic in the winter of 78/79. I was affected by that stuff since I was a small child and my parents sought our GPs advice, and he recommended not having that vaccine, and at some point I did then get whooping cough (not sure if I got it in the main epidemic year or in the next few years that followed).

Coverage of that period of history isnt great. Here is an example of an article that does cover it, though they have a different purpose in doing so, since their main angle involves looking at that act to study the evolution of disability policy within the political and social context of the times.

In the mid-1970s, a group of British parents claimed that their children had become disabled as a result of government-recommended vaccinations. Although their complaints covered a range of diseases, it was the whooping cough—pertussis—vaccine that captured the public imagination. Sections of the medical community backed the parents’ position, and the vaccination rate for pertussis plummeted. The confusion was such that when the government was advised by its own expert bodies that a major publicity campaign was necessary to avoid a whooping cough epidemic, it declined to do so until it had received the results of epidemiological studies into the safety of the vaccination programme. In an attempt to restore confidence, the Labour government forced through legislation that would provide payments of £10,000 to those who could show that their children had been damaged. But this was too late to avoid a pertussis epidemic in the winter of 1978/79.

The Department of Health and Social Security (DHSS) engaged in a two-pronged defence of the vaccination programme. First, its advisory bodies the Committee on the Safety of Medicines and the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) reviewed the evidence on the safety and efficacy of the pertussis vaccine. Second, to restore public trust it passed the Vaccine Damage Payments Act 1979 to provide social security payments to families of damaged children. The former has received attention from historians and researchers of public health. The latter, however, has been largely ignored, or presented as part of the medical establishment’s response to the ‘pertussis vaccine scare’. As this article demonstrates, such analyses overlook the crucial influence of contemporary political factors. In particular, developments in disability policy and the position of disabled people fuelled and, in turn, provided some of the tools for responding to the crisis.

Back
Top Bottom