Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Possible serious side effects from the Astra Zeneca vaccine discussion

Ontario has now stopped administering first dozes of the AstraZeneca vaccine for a second or possibly third time, which is a bit frustrating because I put myself on the "I'd rather take my chances with AZ than wait months for another vaccine" list - they're calling it a "pause" but it's hard to see it making a comeback at this point unless there are big issues with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

With stories like this appearing in the national media, there's probably no way the AZ vaccine is going to be used again in Canada, the government is now reassuring people who had a first dose of AZ that they shouldn't worry too much and they will probably be able to have Pfizer/Moderna for their second shot,

The government no doubt saved a lot of lives by using the AZ vaccine when there were no supplies of anything else, despite the blood clot concerns, but trying to reintroduce it at this stage might end up undermining confidence in vaccines in general.

With stories like this appearing in the national media, there's probably no way the AZ vaccine is going to be used again in Canada, the government is now reassuring people who had a first dose of AZ that they shouldn't worry too much and they will probably be able to have Pfizer/Moderna for their second shot,

The government no doubt saved a lot of lives by using the AZ vaccine when there were no supplies of anything else, despite the blood clot concerns, but trying to reintroduce it at this stage might end up undermining confidence in vaccines in general.

Well, this is something...

Speaking on her husband's behalf, Tara Mulldoon said they are not telling people to avoid AstraZeneca, just be informed and seek help promptly if they develop any health problems afterwards.

But, I don't understand this...

Her husband was vaccinated on April 22 and ended up in emergency surgery on May 9. She said that he initially felt nauseous but symptoms progressed to fever, headache and vomiting. Each time he felt ill he called his doctor or the HealthLinkBC line at 811 and was advised to stay home — even after going in to have a test for COVID-19 — which turned out to be negative.

What were they thinking in ignoring his concerns, and not getting him in for a check up?

Ordered someone to A&E last night (remote first contact practitioner role)
3 days post AZ, some general side effects including mild headache but has developed calf pain with swelling, proper pitting oedema swelling, difficulty taking weight though that leg. No shortness of breath or owt but still put the wind up me.

Hopefully will find out this evening if she's ok

It sounds like the AZ vaccine was involved in the death of the BBC radio presenter.

Just heard that on the radio. Got my second jab tomorrow but will play the low odds roulette. A gun with around a hundred thousand chambers is still worth the risk.
It was the day after my first jab that doubts were first raised but looking back on my life I must admit to never really living a lifestyle overly concerned with health.

Vaccine associated late thromboembolic events - a hypothesis.

FT: Scientists claim to have solved Covid vaccine blood-clot puzzle
Scientists in Germany claim to have cracked the cause of the rare blood clots linked to the Oxford/AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccines and believe the jabs could be tweaked to stop the reaction happening altogether.

Rolf Marschalek, a professor at Goethe university in Frankfurt who has been leading studies into the rare condition since March, said his research showed the problem sat with the adenovirus vectors that both vaccines use to deliver the genetic instructions for the spike protein of the Sars-Cov-2 virus into the body.

The delivery mechanism means the vaccines send the DNA gene sequences of the spike protein into the cell nucleus rather than the cytosol fluid found inside the cell where the virus normally produces proteins, Marschalek and other scientists said in a preprint paper released on Wednesday.

Once inside the cell nucleus, certain parts of the spike protein DNA are spliced, or split apart, creating mutant versions, which are unable to bind to the cell membrane where important immunisation takes place. The floating mutant proteins are instead secreted by cells into the body, triggering blood clots in roughly one in 100,000 people, according to Marschalek’s theory.

In contrast, mRNA-based vaccines, such as the jabs developed by BioNTech/Pfizer and Moderna, deliver the spike’s genetic material to the cell fluid and it never enters the nucleus.

“When these . . . virus genes are in the nucleus they can create some problems,” Marschalek told the Financial Times.

The rare blood-clotting reaction that has disrupted the rollout of the AstraZeneca and J&J shots has been recorded in 309 of the 33m people who have received the AstraZeneca vaccine in the UK, causing 56 deaths. In Europe, at least 142 people have experienced the blood clots out of 16m recipients of the vaccine.

In response, use of the AstraZeneca jab has been restricted or suspended in more than a dozen countries. J&J began the rollout of its vaccine in Europe with a warning on its label in April after a brief delay because of the concerns.

But Marschalek believes there is a straight forward “way out” if the vaccine developers can modify the gene sequence that codes for the spike protein to prevent it splitting apart.

J&J had already contacted Marschalek’s lab to ask for guidance and was looking at ways to adapt its vaccine to prevent splicing, he said.

The instructions for the spike protein in the J&J shot were already less prone to “splicing” than the instructions for the spike protein in the AstraZeneca jab, making the reaction less common, according to Marschalek. In the US, eight of the 7.4m recipients of the J&J shot have reported the rare reaction.

“[J&J] is trying to optimise its vaccine now,” he said. “With the data we have in our hands we can tell the companies how to mutate these sequences, coding for the spike protein in a way that prevents unintended splice reactions.”

J&J said: “We are supporting continued research and analysis of this rare event as we work with medical experts and global health authorities. We look forward to reviewing and sharing data as it becomes available.”

Some scientists have cautioned that Marschalek’s theory is one among many, and that further evidence is needed to substantiate his claims.

“There is evidence missing to show the causal chain from the splice . . . of the spike protein to the thrombosis events,” said Johannes Oldenburg, professor of transfusion medicine at the university of Bonn. “This is still a hypothesis that needs to be proven by experimental data.”

Marschalek said he had presented his lab’s findings to the German government’s Paul-Ehrlich Institute and to the country’s advisory body on vaccination and immunisation.

“They were surprised by our findings because no one was thinking about the splice problem,” he said.

Preprint - "Vaccine-Induced Covid-19 Mimicry" Syndrome: Splice reactions within the SARS-CoV-2 Spike open reading frame result in Spike protein variants that may cause thromboembolic events in patients immunized with vector-based vaccines
DOI: 10.21203/rs.3.rs-558954/v1.

Levels of contamination with Heat Shock Proteins [HSP] and cytoskeletal proteins from the human cell lines used to produce the vaccine might be leading to autoimmune reactions.

Some adenovirus-vector-based COVID-19 vaccines, such as the AstraZeneca vaccine, have been associated with rare cases of vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT). This blood-clotting issue can, for example, cause a cerebral venous sinus thrombosis. The causes of this rare adverse effect are still under investigation

Stefan Kochanek, University of Ulm, Germany, and colleagues have analyzed three different lots of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine. The results have been published as a preprint and have not yet been peer-reviewed. The team used sodium dodecyl sulphate–polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) to separate the proteins in the vaccine samples, followed by silver staining. Then they compared the protein bands of the vaccine samples with those of a purified adenovirus vector. The researchers found that the vaccine samples showed more protein bands than the adenovirus vector control. The protein content of a single vaccine dose was determined to be 32 µg, while only 12.5 µg of protein would be expected based on the molecular weight of the adenovirus vector.

The team performed mass-spectrometry (MS) analyses to determine the protein composition of the vaccine. They found that in one lot, about two-thirds of the detected protein were of human origin and one-third of viral origin, while the two other lots consisted of roughly equal amounts of human and viral proteins. The team found several non-structural viral proteins as well as different human proteins derived from the human cell line used in vector production. Heat shock proteins (HSPs), which can affect immune responses, and cytoskeletal proteins were particularly abundant.
According to the researchers, it cannot be ruled out that the detected protein contamination could have adverse effects and potentially promote autoimmune reactions. They propose that the quality control and purification processes for the vaccine should be improved.

Here's the preprint

Sister has been told that having Pfizer after AZ may not be an option for her as there is some research to show that someone who has had a bad reaction to AZ could have a worse reaction to Pfizer.
And obviously she isnt having another AZ jab.

So advice is to continue to cocoon for a few months .

She is very disappointed and the whole thing is very depressing.

Sister has been told that having Pfizer after AZ may not be an option for her as there is some research to show that someone who has had a bad reaction to AZ could have a worse reaction to Pfizer.
And obviously she isnt having another AZ jab.

So advice is to continue to cocoon for a few months .

She is very disappointed and the whole thing is very depressing.

I hope your sister's recovery is continuing.

There was a study in the UK that found mixing vaccines resulted in people more likely to have mild to moderate side effects from the second dose, the advice seems to remain if someone suffered a serious reaction from AZ, they should have a different vaccine for their second dose, see second link, which was last updated on 28th May 2021.

In a UK mix and match study published in the Lancet in May, 830 adults over 50 were randomised to get either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccines first, then the other vaccine later.

It found people who received mixed doses were more likely to develop mild to moderate symptoms from the second dose of the vaccine including chills, fatigue, fever, headache, joint pain, malaise, muscle ache and pain at the injection site, compared to those on the standard non-mixed schedule.

However, these reactions were short-lived and there were no other safety concerns. The researchers have now adapted this study to see whether early and regular use of paracetamol reduces the frequency of these reactions.

Clinical trials are currently examining the effectiveness and safety of mixing and matching different coronavirus vaccine. But government advice for now is to get the same vaccine for your first and second doses.
There are a few exceptions:
  • If you had the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine and have since become housebound, you can have Oxford/AstraZeneca, which can be transported more easily, as a second dose.
  • Very rarely, someone might have had a serious reaction to their first dose of the vaccine. In these very rare cases you may be recommended to get a second dose of a different vaccine.

I hope your sister's recovery is continuing.

There was a study in the UK that found mixing vaccines resulted in people more likely to have mild to moderate side effects from the second dose, the advice seems to remain if someone suffered a serious reaction from AZ, they should have a different vaccine for their second dose, see second link, which was last updated on 28th May 2021.

Sorry but we got the advice from the horses mouth.
My brother spoke directly with an expert in the UK and the advice was to wait for a few months.

As my sister had such a bad reaction to AZ .

And there is evidence that people can have a worse reaction to Pfizer if they had a bad reaction to AZ

It will come out in the next week or so.... dont take my word for it. Just wait and see.

The clear advice was from 2nd June. No AZ and no Pfizer for someone like my sister.

On the other hand...there is evidence that different vaccines can work very well together for people who have had no issues with either vaccine.

Ps. cupid_stunt
My sister is recovering very very slowly.
The recent health board hacking has prevented her from receiving speech and language therapy and physiotherapy.
So at a very crucial stage...the first 3 .months post stroke....she is without the supports needed.
Because of some fucking dipshit hackers in Russia.
I hope they rot in hell.

Last edited:
Sorry but we got the advice from the horses mouth.
My brother spoke directly with an expert in the UK and the advice was to wait for a few months.

As my sister had such a bad reaction to AZ .

And there is evidence that people can have a worse reaction to Pfizer if they had a bad reaction to AZ

It will come out in the next week or so.... dont take my word for it. Just wait and see.

The clear advice was from 2nd June. No AZ and no Pfizer for someone like my sister.

On the other hand...there is evidence that different vaccines can work very well together for people who have had no issues with either vaccine.

Oh, fair enough, if somewhat shit. :(

Ps. cupid_stunt
My sister is recovering very very slowly.
The recent health board hacking has prevented her from receiving speech and language therapy and physiotherapy.
So at a very crucial stage...the first 3 .months post stroke....she is without the supports needed.
Because of some fucking dipshit hackers in Russia.
I hope they rot in hell.

Oh FFS, what a situation to be in. :(

A colleague has died from a blood clot on his brain just a few days after receiving the AZ vaccine. He was 26.

Shit, sorry to hear that. With the related thrombocytopenia? Under 30s are not generally supposed to be getting their first dose of AZ now, or was it his second dose?

That's awful!! How tragic. I am holding out for my pfizer dose next week, despite having been offered spare AZ at the local centre way before. Obviously these cases are extremely rare but absolutely terrible for those affected. :(

The Italian government said on Friday it was restricting the use of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine to people over the age of 60, after a teenager who had received the shot died from a rare form of blood clotting.

Camilla Canepa died on Thursday aged 18 after being given the vaccine on May 25, triggering a media and political outcry over the Anglo-Swedish company's shot being used for adults of all ages despite previously-raised medical concerns.

"AstraZeneca will only be used for people over 60," the country's special COVID commissioner Francesco Figliuolo told reporters.
People under the age of 60 who have received a first dose of AstraZeneca should be given a different vaccine for the second dose, the government's chief medical adviser Franco Locatelli said at the same news conference.

"The risk-benefit assessment has changed," Locatelli said, without mentioning the death of Canepa, who suffered from a low platelet count, brain haemorrhage and abdominal blood clots.

Table 5: Number of UK suspected thrombo-embolic events with concurrent thrombocytopenia ADRreports received for the COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca by patient age up to and including 2 June 2021.​

Age range (years)Number of reportsNumber of fatal reports
18-29277
30-394610
40-499410
50-599020
60-695310
70-79365
80-8951
90-9910
Unknown203
Total37266

Table 6: Number of UK suspected thrombo-embolic events with concurrent thrombocytopenia ADRreports received for the Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine by patient sex up to and including 2 June 2021.​

SexNumber of reportsNumber of fatal reports
Male16927
Female20039
Unknown30
Total37266

From Coronavirus vaccine - weekly summary of Yellow Card reporting

Last edited:
A refereed paper (McMaster, Canada): Eight amino acids on the surface of PF4 are targeted by strongly binding adenoviral vector vaccination induced antibodies, mimicking the effect of heparin, activating platelets leading to VITT.
DOI: 10.1038/s41586-021-03744-4.

That is an elegant study. It’ll be a job to back-engineer the source of the antibody binding sites and adjust the AV vector to remove it, but it’s not impossible on the face of it.

First dose. I think people are trying to establish why he had AZ, and presumably if there’s a link or it’s a freak coincidence.

Any news on any of this, link or not beesonthewhatnow?

Some new info on the mRNA vaccines and myocarditis and pericarditis risks here:

Back
Top Bottom