Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is your preferred vegan/veggie milk?

What is your vegan/veggie milk of choice?

• Total voters
Asda do a really nice own brand for a quid.

I'm currently trying that (own brand fresh oat milk from the chiller cabinet).
It's OK but it's not very creamy and has a slight bitter aftertaste.
I usually get longlife ones but didn't have enough time to locate them in the massive Asda this morning but will give that a go this time.
This one is OK but not the nicest one I've tried, can't grumble for £1 though.

I'm currently trying that (own brand fresh oat milk from the chiller cabinet).
It's OK but it's not very creamy and has a slight bitter aftertaste.
I usually get longlife ones but didn't have enough time to locate them in the massive Asda this morning but will give that a go this time.
This one is OK but not the nicest one I've tried, can't grumble for £1 though.
Oh right, I think it's as creamy as the Tesco own brand one, which is quite creamy! Never noticed any bitter aftertaste either. I really like it.

The Lidl own brand one isn't creamy at all, it's really watery. Urgh.

Oh right, I think it's as creamy as the Tesco own brand one, which is quite creamy! Never noticed any bitter aftertaste either. I really like it.

I'll try the Longlife Asda one next time - I've just had a look at the reviews of the fresh one and a lot of them mention similar to my experience and say the Longlife one is better, the Longlife is £1.30 mind you but that's still not bad (and suits me better as I can store it until I have a plan to get through a whole litre once opened!)

This one is OK and I'd get it again due to the price, but I've had ones that I prefer (Morrison's Longlife is good, currently £1.49 though).

We've got a soy milk maker, size of a big jug and you just wash and chuck the dried beans in, add water and it does its stuff. Kids love it as milky bedtime drink and obviously unit cost cheap. Does taste great though obviously quality of bean is the big factor. Has programmes to do other bean stuff too but not really used it for anything else.
ETA We keep the leftover grounds too as they can go in dough to make bread.

We've got a soy milk maker, size of a big jug and you just wash and chuck the dried beans in, add water and it does its stuff. Kids love it as milky bedtime drink and obviously unit cost cheap. Does taste great though obviously quality of bean is the big factor. Has programmes to do other bean stuff too but not really used it for anything else.
ETA We keep the leftover grounds too as they can go in dough to make bread.

Suspect in the UK this would cost more then buying it!

So the Coop do Oatly milk in the fridge, and Oatly drink on the shelves. They seem to taste the same on my cereal, so I go for the cheaper one, which is usually the shelved one.

I like Lidl Barista Oatmilk. I think it’s better than Oatly and it’s my preference these days.

I'm still varying between Oatly and Alpro Oat depending on which is on offer - can usually get one or the other for £1.50 from Morrisons.. can't say I notice much difference.

Was put off soya milk when heard too much soya aint' great for you.. can't remember what it's meant to do..

I'm still varying between Oatly and Alpro Oat depending on which is on offer - can usually get one or the other for £1.50 from Morrisons.. can't say I notice much difference.

Was put off soya milk when heard too much soya aint' great for you.. can't remember what it's meant to do..

It is relatively high in phytoestrogens and can cause problems for people with thyroid issues, especially with regard to monitoring thyroid conditions.
I don't think it causes any problem for people who are otherwise healthy, well unless you are eating kilos of soya a week or something! But that can be said of many foods.
I disapprove of the use of soya in cat foods because cats are prone to hyperthyroidism, but I don't think using soya milk is an issue for humans unless they have been told to avoid it for a particular health reason.

I used to struggle getting any of this stuff to work in coffee - its a mugs game imo - but I had to give up coffee last year as it appears to make my feet swell up. I didn't want to believe it at first, but tried cutting out coffee a few times and feet swelling went down, then came back when i reintroduced the coffee. So coffee is no longer an issue. I go between a few different brands, entirely dependent on which one is on offer when i make my purchase, but they are all oat based (unsweetened). I could drink it straight from the carton tbh - it tastes so good, much better than cow's milk.

Ah yeah, I know that brand. I had some “chicken pieces” which were incredibly disappointing, not tried anything else though.
Their milk seems comparable with any other I've tried, their sausages are shite, and I haven't eaten ice cream for so long I can't really comment, other than to say it was alright.

Their milk seems comparable with any other I've tried, their sausages are shite, and I haven't eaten ice cream for so long I can't really comment, other than to say it was alright.

I think I had a wrap or sandwich or something which was fine. Seems each product in the brand is quite different in terms of quality.

I love the Oatly barrista oat milk. I did an online shop and this item x 6 was replaced with MOMMA barista oat milk.....it does not taste the same..and has a slight aftertaste that is disappointing 😕 OR its the aftermath of covid.

I love the Oatly barrista oat milk. I did an online shop and this item x 6 was replaced with MOMMA barista oat milk.....it does not taste the same..and has a slight aftertaste that is disappointing 😕 OR its the aftermath of covid.
The only downside with Oalty is the big corporate oafness and blackstone connection.
I really like the Minor Figures oat milk . . . but . . . just very recently it seems to have changed slightly. I don't know if it is just me, or if I just picked up a duff batch??? but it suddenly tasted like the now discontinued original lidl oat milk, with a slight hint of a coconut taste. Weird.
Conversely, my new favourite at the moment is the Lidl Barista oat milk (£1.30)

Back
Top Bottom