Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is your home TV set up?

What is your home TV set up?

• Total voters
Yes, but Google is limited in usefulness at answering idle questions that have come from half-considered notions that have arisen from a conversation.
No it's not. You don't know how to use it properly.

I wasn’t making an excuse. It’s not a subject I’m ever going to become an expert on as it doesn’t engage me, hence my ignorance
It was an excuse. If you don't care why ask and call people names.

No, not for that, but for assuming everyone else has the same interests and has therefore retained the same knowledge as they have from their school education.
We all do it to a certain degree. I am regularly astonished that people do not recall things that are burned into my own memory from my school education.
I try to know enough about everything that matters. If I ever survive a plane crash with a few others on an uninhabited island, I'll be the one that gets everyone home, or drunk, whichever is more important. 😁

I have to admit I’m confounded by the hostility at me just cos I don’t know much about computers. I hope I don’t behave like that when talking to people about my own interests, but I would’t be surprised if I had on occasion. It’s not conducive to mutual understanding and learning, is it?

No it's not. You don't know how to use it properly.

It was an excuse. If you don't care why ask and call people names.
I have only called people names when they’ve been rude or hostile. I am a human not a computer

I have to admit I’m confounded by the hostility at me just cos I don’t know much about computers. I hope I don’t behave like that when talking to people about my own interests, but I would’t be surprised if I had on occasion. It’s not conducive to mutual understanding and learning, is it?
I don't think it's because you don't know much about computers. I think it's because you asked for an explanation, then immediately dismissed it as nerdy stuff you had no interest in.

No it's you kicking off at people because of your ignorance thats causing a problem. You know how to research things. Choose not to, call people names and then whine when anyone replies.

The hostility isn't because you don't know much about computers. I took that as something that you wanted an explanation about since you asked so so many fucking questions, and I spent time and effort trying to explain it (culminating in what I think is a good actually scratch that, it's a great post explaining why heat builds up in computers - the exact opposite of keeping knowledge in some sort of imaginary ivory tower as you suggested) only to be dismissed and told that you weren't interested because you weren't a computer nerd like me.

It's about the fact you asked loads of questions that people tried to answer, and then at the end of it all said that you weren't interested while being dismissive and mildly offensive.

If you aren't that interested, don't keep asking questions about it over more than 24 hours that people spend time responding to only to be met with put-downs and a final declaration that you're not interested.

Last edited:
I apologise if my questions have wound people up, but the answers have been equally maddening and frustrating, so let’s call it a draw. Good night.

Imagine someone asking you to explain something you really enjoyed talking about, so you went into a bit of depth about it, only for them to go "Oh, right, well that's fucking boring"
:D i think i’d be amused tbh. I know the things I’m interested in are boring as fuck to most people even if they are important things to know .

So you were being hostile and calling people names. Glad we got that sorted
I was eventually, yes. I didn’t launch into it immediately. I was just in the dark about how some people set up their home computers and asked a few questions. It wasn’t until the big boys arrived and starting characterising me as a toddler or being weird that my hackles were raised .

I apologise if my questions have wound people up, but the answers have been equally maddening and frustrating, so let’s call it a draw. Good night.

I don't mind people asking questions.

I mind people asking questions over and over and taking up a lot of my time and effort over something they consider me to be a nerd about and dismissing it after I've gone to all the effort as "not interested in it".

I'm quite angry with your attitude towards this - people respond to your questions because they think you are interested in the response, if they'd known you viewed it as computer nerd stuff and didn't want to learn anything from their knowledge, I am sure myself and half of the other people who engaged with you on this thread wouldn't have put time and effort into trying to explain things to you, and it's unsurprising that I am not the only one who is a bit annoyed about you taking up our time and effort to explain things that you ultimately dismiss as nerdy and uninteresting.

Don't ask a question if you're not interested in the response.

I think it’s probably just a mistinterpretation of what the questions were about and why I was asking them. And for my part, failing to consider that people take some things more seriously than I do, mistaking my idle chit chat for something more deliberate. There’s no bad faith on my part.
Let’s leave it there.

I was eventually, yes. I didn’t launch into it immediately. I was just in the dark about how some people set up their home computers and asked a few questions. It wasn’t until the big boys arrived and starting characterising me as a toddler or being weird that my hackles were raised .

Diddums.

I think it’s probably just a mistinterpretation of what the questions were about and why I was asking them. And for my part, failing to consider that people take some things more seriously than I do, mistaking my idle chit chat for something more deliberate. There’s no bad faith on my part.
Let’s leave it there.
No you were being an arse then doubled down on it repeatedly. Let's leave it there.

It's really disingenuous of you to pretend that anyone's being hostile just because you don't like computers. The questions you kept asking made it clear that you hadn't really thought about the answers you'd already got, you'd just dismissed them as nerdy jargon. It was rude behaviour.

It's really disingenuous of you to pretend that anyone's being hostile just because you don't like computers. The questions you kept asking made it clear that you hadn't really thought about the answers you'd already got, you'd just dismissed them as nerdy jargon. It was rude behaviour.
Sorry about that everyone. Wasn’t intended to be initially, but I got wound up by certain words.
Words are interesting, aren’t they? :D

(I wasn’t pretending anything though - just clashing perspectives innit)

Let’s leave it there.

Yes, you're neurodiverse and I'm neurodiverse.

What you need to try to get a grip on is that people are all different and that neurodiverse people are diverse in different ways.

When you ask a load of questions - I don't do subplots, I don't do subterfuge, I don't do certain types of humour, I don't understand a rhetorical question, and I don't get when people are just asking shit for the sake of it - so because I am autistic I answer your questions in good faith, which takes time and effort and energy.

I answer it like you're asking a genuine question out of interest. I don't know how else to interpret the question you asked.

Then you call me a nerd. You say it's not an insult - do you seriously think as an autistic person that I've never had that term used against me while I've been being teased or physically assaulted at some bullying incident in my life? It isn't as positive as you might think it is. And you say that all the stuff I just typed out isn't something you are interested in. Why did you fucking ask the question then?

You aren't the only ND in the village, please try to remember that.

Yes, you're neurodiverse and I'm neurodiverse.

What you need to try to get a grip on is that people are all different and that neurodiverse people are diverse in different ways.

When you ask a load of questions - I don't do subplots, I don't do subterfuge, I don't do certain types of humour, I don't understand a rhetorical question, and I don't get when people are just asking shit for the sake of it - so because I am autistic I answer your questions in good faith, which takes time and effort and energy.

I answer it like you're asking a genuine question out of interest. I don't know how else to interpret the question you asked.

Then you call me a nerd. You say it's not an insult - do you seriously think as an autistic person that I've never had that term used against me while I've been being teased or physically assaulted at some bullying incident in my life? It isn't as positive as you might think it is. And you say that all the stuff I just typed out isn't something you are interested in. Why did you fucking ask the question then?

You aren't the only ND in the village, please try to remember that.
I do ask shit for the sake of it, cos I have no filters in certain conversations that I consider to be iust shooting the breeze, pretty much like conversation in the real world, and writing this stuff is even easier than saying it for me, so I must regularly fail to consider that the person I’m speaking to might be taking way more time and effort than I do to take part in those conversations. So for that, I apologise and will make more effort to remember this in future.
But I also ask that some consideration comes from others too. We all have our different perspectives and assuming bad faith from other participants instead of considering this only serves to confound mutual understanding of those perpectives.

I do ask shit for the sake of it, cos I have no filters in certain conversations that I consider to be iust shooting the breeze, pretty much like conversation in the real world, and writing this stuff is even easier than saying it for me, so I must regularly fail to consider that the person I’m speaking to might be taking way more time and effort than I do to take part in those conversations. So for that, I apologise and will make more effort to remember this in future.
But I also ask that some consideration comes from others too. We all have our different perspectives and assuming bad faith from other participants instead of considering this only serves to confound mutual understanding of those perpectives.

I accept your apology, but please understand that the ivory tower comment because I had some knowledge about something that I tried to share was a bit over the line.
If it had been ivory tower, I would have just gone nah not sharing that info with anyone, rather than spending 20 minutes typing it all the fuck out :hmm: :)

Back
Top Bottom