Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is your home TV set up?

What is your home TV set up?

• Total voters
There's no need to start getting irked.

One of my ND "special interests" is computers, sorry if it's too "nerdy" for you, I've tried to explain how it works it in good faith but please don't have a go at me or start being insulting if you don't get it.

Yes I was one of those kids who took stuff apart to see how it worked - and then put it back together again.

I am not going to apologise for that or be made to feel bad about it.
He is either somewhat short of functioning neurones, or taking the piss. Could be both of course, but I strongly suspect the latter.

Have 5 TVs since I lost the idea a comp monitor was worthwhile quite some time ago (plus some are 15 years old but work fine). Would take ages to list what does what.

So why do you think it's OK to call me a nerd just because I fucking know some physics regarding electrical circuits that is taught to schoolkids before they even get to secondary school?

Wind your neck in yourself.

So why do you think it's OK to call me a nerd just because I fucking know some physics regarding electrical circuits that is taught to schoolkids before they even get to secondary school?

Wind your neck in yourself.
Nerd isn’t an insult. It’s just someone who knows more about a particular subject than most people. I am a nerd too.

I'd accept that from someone who was also a nerd, not from someone saying basically ooh what you're all talking about is too nerdy for me because I'm not a nerd, stop being so nerdy.
I advise you to reread what I said about being a nerd myself.
I also urge you not put words in my mouth cos I did not say or imply what you are saying I did - you inferred it.

Though now I’m irked by the pompous presumption of insincerity just because I am coming at it from a different mindset/perspective.
And cupid_stunt you get a separate fuck off, just for saying I’m weird. We’re all fucking weird, you smug prick

I didn't say you were weird, I said 'you're just being weird', which you are on this thread.

I advise you to reread what I said about being a nerd myself.
I also urge you not put words in my mouth cos I did not say or imply what you are saying I did - you inferred it.

Look, basically you've been on this thread asking "how? why? what?" type questions for a couple of pages, I've tried to explain stuff to you but you've been dismissive and called me a computer nerd, when what I am explaining is really quite basic primary school stuff, now if you want proper computer nerd discourse I can talk a bit about overclocking and voltages if you like.

What I explained is no more computer nerd than knowing how to boil an egg is haute cuisine - it's basic basic stuff.

Look, basically you've been on this thread asking "how? why? what?" type questions for a couple of pages, I've tried to explain stuff to you but you've been dismissive and called me a computer nerd, when what I am explaining is really quite basic primary school stuff, now if you want proper computer nerd discourse I can talk a bit about overclocking and voltages if you like.

What I explained is no more computer nerd than knowing how to boil an egg is haute cuisine - it's basic basic stuff.
It doesn’t matter how basic it is if you don’t know in the first place. People are increasingly living exclusively in their ivory towers, their silos of interest as it were, and just assume basic knowledge of their own spheres, not realising how that might appear to those who are coming from a position of ignorance. It discourages curiosity when it should be encouraged.

It doesn’t matter how basic it is if you don’t know in the first place. People are increasingly living exclusively in their ivory towers, their silos of interest as it were, and just assume basic knowledge of their own spheres, not realising how that might appear to those who are coming from a position of ignorance. It discourages curiosity when it should be encouraged.
Reading stuff is good for learning.

There is no ivory tower position from me at all, everything I've explained is very basic science and terminology, and I have gone out of my way to explain it in an understandable way so that anyone who comes to it knowing nothing can learn a bit about it. That is the OPPOSITE of ivory tower. :confused:

Is anyone else confused by anything I've posted and think I'm living in an ivory tower because I know a bit about how circuit boards work and tried to explain it? :confused:

I work in one and am up to my neck in books, just not computer books. They tend to a bit dry and not as interesting as books on 17th century female pirates or the art of translation of ancient Greek
Yes I know you do. So there's no excuse.

And also if you don't like my detailed explanations, there's always fucking google.
Or the physics/electronics shelf in your library.

Fuck I'm actually pissed off now, please people - only converse with me or ask questions in future if you're actually INTERESTED in a response, because I only have one fucking life and I could have been doing something else.
Show some respect for other peoples' time and effort.

There is no ivory tower position from me at all, everything I've explained is very basic science and terminology, and I have gone out of my way to explain it in an understandable way so that anyone who comes to it knowing nothing can learn a bit about it. That is the OPPOSITE of ivory tower. :confused:

Is anyone else confused by anything I've posted and think I'm living in an ivory tower because I know a bit about how circuit boards work and tried to explain it? :confused:
No, not for that, but for assuming everyone else has the same interests and has therefore retained the same knowledge as they have from their school education.
We all do it to a certain degree. I am regularly astonished that people do not recall things that are burned into my own memory from my school education.

If you're not interested in it, STOP ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT IT THAT PEOPLE SPEND TIME TYPING OUT AN EXPLANATION ABOUT.
asking questions about an aspect of something I find interesting should not be interpreted as a burning interest in the entire subject.
I’m not holding anyone’s feet to the fire and demanding answers .

I'm not going to let myself get drawn back into this, or any other "but I don't understand it" bullshit like this again - you work in a library, go and find a book about it if you're interested, don't ask questions about it here if you're going to just brush them off with "but I'm not interested".

Waste of my and everyone else's fucking time and effort replying to someone who isn't interested.

It's bullshit. I'll save my energy for people who might actually want to learn something from me, and/or provide something I might want to learn about.

asking questions about an aspect of something I find interesting should not be interpreted as a burning interest in the entire subject.
I’m not holding anyone’s feet to the fire and demanding answers .
have you heard of Google?

No, not for that, but for assuming everyone else has the same interests and has therefore retained the same knowledge as they have from their school education.
We all do it to a certain degree. I am regularly astonished that people do not recall things that are burned into my own memory from my school education.

FFS, you dug yourself into a hole over a case that contains a computer, such a simple thing, and not techy or nerdy at all, and you're still digging. :facepalm:

As I said earlier 'you're just being weird', get over yourself.

Back
Top Bottom