Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What the fuckety fuck is this thing growing behind my pipe?

As WouldBe says it could be quite a small piece that has gotten damp and grown the mushroom. Maybe there's a bit of wood with the pipe fixings?
Potential "hidden" wood ...
Quite common for older building to have bits of wood inserted for holding screws - my place has got what looks like bits of broom stale [1" diameter] that was holding down pipe & gutters fixings.
Note that the original design of rawl plugs was compressed wood fibres - and some handymen will use wood 'matchsticks' to fill holes before screwing up whatever so the screw has something to bite ...
Thirdly - the wall plate [between wall and roof] that joists / roof supports are attached onto is often a plank of wood. Ditto the piece of wood bridging a door or window opening, which in modern buildings are either concrete or galvanized steel. I could tell you a story about that !

Im scared it’s going to scream when I excise it. But I’ll do it. I’m going to wear the foal’s airsoft face gear. I don’t want to take any chances.

I don't think that would offer any respiratory protection would it? Designed to allow you to breath freely. N95 or greater for stuff like spores.

The impact protection offered by airsoft mask hopefully won't be relevant, but you can always wear it over the N95.

I don't think that would offer any respiratory protection would it? Designed to allow you to breath freely. N95 or greater for stuff like spores.

The impact protection offered by airsoft mask hopefully won't be relevant, but you can always wear it over the N95.
It’s not a proper airsoft mask - it’s a full on gas mask with particulate filters

Like so
102A5FA6-2273-4DB4-884F-DFC7C4D4C158.jpeg

I have discovered that there is wood on the other side of the wall so I shall get rid of that too.

It’s an old rotting shed which I’m having taken down and I’m now thinking I should let the wall dry out before I put up another one?
If you're concerned about the dampness of the brick wall, then if you put up a new shed leave a bit of space between it and the wall for air to circulate, wide enough that you can get at the ground in-between to clear out leaves and stuff that will accumulate over time. This will allow it to dry out now and also in the future so no need to wait.

If you're concerned about the dampness of the brick wall, then if you put up a new shed leave a bit of space between it and the wall for air to circulate, wide enough that you can get at the ground in-between to clear out leaves and stuff that will accumulate over time. This will allow it to dry out now and also in the future so no need to wait.
The current rotting shed (weirdly and annoyingly) is built the whole width of the space between the house and the boundary. I’d already decided to get a freestanding shed with a door at one end so the inside space is more useful but was going to put it up against the house with space to walk along the boundary but this has made me think I should put it against the boundary. That’s just a fence and there‘s a passageway on the other side which is the only access to next door‘s back garden so they’re unlikely to build out. Makes much more sense to keep the house rotting shed free.

My weird chicken fungus has done me a favour!

Back
Top Bottom