Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is your home TV set up?

What is your home TV set up?

• Total voters
Wait a minute…there’s a bun fight here? How is there a bun fight here?

:goes back to study the thread and find a side:
The argument was about whether Macs or PCs are better. PCs have massive fans because they are so inefficient, so you have to choose between putting them on the desk and using up lots of working space, or under the desk and sucking up lots of dust. After a lot of discussion a consensus was reached that macs are for serious people while PCs are good if you like flashing LED lights and coolant tubes, and playing violent computer games instead of doing economically productive work. I hope this summary saves you some time.

The case has foam filters between the mesh on the front and top panels (on mine at least they are in those positions, cases may vary as to where the fans are mounted) and the fans, you just take the mesh panel off, remove the filter, and clean it - it can even go in the washing machine if you want (although obviously make sure it's fully dry before putting it back).
Or if it gets too gunked up you can simply replace it.

Cheers. I don’t think Mine has those. I’ve been putting off a job that requires opening it up so I will check. it is a nice big case though!, bit wider than the average 80 X.

I thought Epona 's was average, but it sounds a bit bigger than mine, which is a chonker. My Fractal R5 is 232 x 462 x 531 mm (W/H/D), so a smidge (very small smidge) wider and shorter.

That is a proper beast of a case. My R5 can house 10 drives of varying sorts. There's only 6 in there, so it's excessive; but I'd bought a video card that didn't fit in the old Antec and thought I'd buy something that would fit a Volkswagen just to be sure.

I have two, stacked vertically beside my desk. But fairly average-sized ATX cases. The bottom one definitely gathers more dust than the top one.

Should have been though . . . And yes macs are better.
Can be yes, can be no, depends on what it is you need to be "better". I like a Mac, hardware-wise, but can't stand MacOS. Couple that with being a cheap bastard and it's no surprise the only Apple product I've ever owned was a Newton.

(And it's not just a gaming PC, I've worked in plenty of offices - most actually - have tower cases under the desk, because it leaves desk space free for files and other items.)

You might be surprised. I don't think it's common at all any more as it's just so overkill. A lot of places have gone for laptops and docks, but those that haven't have small or ultra small form factor PCs. For office work there's no reason anymore to have a full tower. Even in the NHS and we've got some old kit!

Our towers seem to have disappeared in 2021.

Everyone on laptops and docking stations now. Huge public sector organisation for context.

You might be surprised. I don't think it's common at all any more as it's just so overkill. A lot of places have gone for laptops and docks, but those that haven't have small or ultra small form factor PCs. For office work there's no reason anymore to have a full tower. Even in the NHS and we've got some old kit!
Oh I daresay some have changed, but the charity I do data entry for on occasion still has PCs that look pretty much exactly the same as the one I have at home.

Also I'm fairly sure that most of the people I've been conversing with on this thread are around the same age as me and will have seen computers like the one I have at home and have been talking about, in workplaces throughout their life up until recently - it's not the equivalent of trying to explain a rotary dial telephone to a 5 year old (at least I don't think it is... :hmm: )

Also I'm fairly sure that most of the people I've been conversing with on this thread are around the same age as me and will have seen computers like the one I have at home and have been talking about, in workplaces throughout their life up until recently - it's not the equivalent of trying to explain a rotary dial telephone to a 5 year old (at least I don't think it is... :hmm: )

Have been having connection problems when working at home so am trying connecting via an Ethernet cable into my router (luckily in the same room as my home office) rather than WiFi

I was explaining this to the woman I work with who was born in 1997 and that this is what we did before wifi, this was news to her!

Can be yes, can be no, depends on what it is you need to be "better". I like a Mac, hardware-wise, but can't stand MacOS. Couple that with being a cheap bastard and it's no surprise the only Apple product I've ever owned was a Newton.
I love the OS on Mac desktop/laptops but absolutely hate ipads and iphones
I only use the mac for music production, video editing and remote work.

Maybe if people want to play games or something they want something else? . . . . but macs are better. . . . unless they are updating software.

Macs are better for some uses, PCs are better for others. Also sometimes it's personal preference and habit.

In terminology though, a huge number of people don't realise Windows laptops are PCs - they think it means desktops, the tower kind, only.

For a lot of games, you have to run additional software on a Mac to emulate a Windows OS - although you can do it, gamers typically do not use Macs, and probably wouldn't be inclined to buy one if their primary reason for having a computer was to play games.

For a lot of games, you have to run additional software on a Mac to emulate a Windows OS - although you can do it, gamers typically do not use Macs, and probably wouldn't be inclined to buy one if their primary reason for having a computer was to play games.
It's a smart move by Apple, really, not to invite that kind of user.

It's a smart move by Apple, really, not to invite that kind of user.
Apple probably makes more money from gamers than musicians. Unless you've forgotten they make phones as their primary business and computers as a sideline?

I have the exact same looking tower case PC that many workplaces have under desks.

I don't know what is throwing people so fucking much that they don't get that it's not attached to a desk, and if you want to put it next to the sofa you can just have it there instead.

It's not a whole different thing, it's just not placed under a desk. I don't understand why people are getting confused about that, really. 😁
Future generations will write ballads about these people. :D

I don't quite follow what your point is here.
You're saying they don't want to invite that sort of user, when they are in fact one of their most profitable user groups and they go out of their way to encourage them. They had a dedicated team for MacOS ports when Intel Macs were a thing, it's just that their new architecture is too different to justify most studios porting their games to ARM Mac.

Games are the single biggest profit generator they have on iOS. The hardware may make more money, but the chunk of change they make from games is zero cost.

You're saying they don't want to invite that sort of user, when they are in fact one of their most profitable user groups and they go out of their way to encourage them. They had a dedicated team for MacOS ports when Intel Macs were a thing, it's just that their new architecture is too different to justify most studios porting their games to ARM Mac.

Games are the single biggest profit generator they have on iOS. The hardware may make more money, but the chunk of change they make from games is zero cost.

We're talking about computers here, not iphones. Apple has never gone "out of their way" to make their computers attractive to gamers.

We're talking about computers here, not iphones. Apple has never gone "out of their way" to make their computers attractive to gamers.
That's because gamers tend to know a bit about computers and wouldn't put up with the overpriced and underpowered offerings from Apple.

There you go. I did it for you.

Back
Top Bottom