Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What’s your kitchen drawer’s fork-knife-spoon-small spoon ratio?

Wooden cutlery is overlooked.
Those awful balsa spoons and forks rasp on my tongue.

Cutlery I crave: fish knives and forks, steak knives, a butter knife, a cheese knife with two prongs, one of those Swiss Vetrinnox tomato knives recently promoted on these boards, a grapefruit knifes and a Jam spoon. I'm tired of flecks of butter in my jam and marmalade - maybe more than one jam spoon to avoid cross contamination.

Sadly, I live a long way from the nearest John Lewis and buying any kind of knife online involves jumping through too many hoops.

Grape scissors would be cool too.

We've got some little wooden teaspoon size spoons, kids eat puddings with them or they occasional get used if there's a pot of something like chilli sauce on the table.

teuchter called, he wants his thread back.
Has he done the cutlery head first in or head peeping out the tray thread yet?

I like the fork/spoon/knife head to be visible not handle first IYSWIM

Apparently that is opposite to the rest of the civilised planet, my attempts at training people to this positioning of cutlery is not bearing fruit

I can’t even find an example of my way on google

Apparently that is opposite to the rest of the civilised planet, my attempts at training people to this positioning of cutlery is not bearing fruit

I don’t understand what you mean tbf

Problem then is when you reach in for a forkspoonknife, you grab it by the business end, and put germs all over the bit that's going into someone's mouth.
#germophobe

What's wrong with you heathens?

At the very least you need a full complement of teaspoon, dessert spoon, tablespoon, soup spoon, cream-soup spoon, chowder spoon, salt spoon, bouillon spoon, caviar spoon, Chinese spoon, cutty, demitasse spoon, egg spoon, French sauce spoon, horn spoon, parfait spoon, Korean spoon, marrow scoop, grapefruit spoon, melon spoon, rattail spoon, saucier spoon, seal-top spoon, spork, sporf, spife, splayd and stroon per setting.

What's wrong with you heathens?

At the very least you need a full complement of teaspoon, dessert spoon, tablespoon, soup spoon, cream-soup spoon, chowder spoon, salt spoon, bouillon spoon, caviar spoon, Chinese spoon, cutty, demitasse spoon, egg spoon, French sauce spoon, horn spoon, parfait spoon, Korean spoon, marrow scoop, grapefruit spoon, melon spoon, rattail spoon, saucier spoon, seal-top spoon, spork, sporf, spife, splayd and stroon per setting.

Well , yes, if you are having a snack in front of the telly. Obviously if you are having a formal meal you’d need the full set…

For some reason a few months ago we kept running out of forks. Plenty of everything else. So we bought another set, but it was the cheapest ones and I knew both me and OH would soon refuse to use them because they didn't feel good. About a week later we then bought the set 2 prices up as more acceptable forks. Anyway so now we have shit loads of forks.

Lots of teaspoons as OH will half inch anything cute and small (teaspoons regularly fall into this category) but you can't use them all any time you like, some must be saved for special occasion i.e. special puddings.

Wooden and bamboo reusable. Got a couple of metal pairs from somewhere but never use them.

A lot of the ones sold in our local Chinese supermarket (in East London) are fibreglass - is that a thing there, or is that just for a European audience who want fancy looking ones?
I have some wooden ones.

It’s just the way it fits in the drawer
You put yours away in a drawer?
N who is in charge of washing up in these parts eschews the notion of storing things in drawers or cupboards because he won't remember they are there, so stuff goes from being used, to in the washing up bowl, then into the rack on the draining board, then straight back into use.
He has very real problems with object impermanence and "out of sight, out of mind" - if anything got put away in a cupboard or drawer he'd not be able to find it and possibly not even remember where it is supposed to live (I have tried, really, I prefer stuff to be put away but it's just not workable with his particular flavour of ADHD - being autistic myself, I'd prefer a bit more order and tidiness but it isn't to be )

A lot of the ones sold in our local Chinese supermarket (in East London) are fibreglass - is that a thing there, or is that just for a European audience who want fancy looking ones?
I have some wooden ones.
Seen a few that might have been but can't say they're common round these parts!

I'm quite bored now with people saying this about threads that aren't of a sufficient calibre. However, I am pleased to be an inspiration to others especially in the context of urban75's current descent into increasingly boring dreariness.
Post another anti-Catholic opinion poll thread. That'll've livened things up around here...

Cutlery I crave: fish knives and forks, steak knives, a butter knife... I'm tired of flecks of butter in my jam and marmalade - maybe more than one jam spoon to avoid cross contamination.
We found a brand new set, in their canteen, of silver fish knives and forks, and a set of butter knives when clearing the house.

The butter knives were used regularly. My m-i-l was severely coeliac so there was a lot of duplicated stuff to avoid cross contamination. On more than one occasion she was hospitalised due to severe reactions to gluten, so all lot of care was taken to protect her.

We found a brand new set, in their canteen, of silver fish knives and forks, and a set of butter knives when clearing the house.

The butter knives were used regularly. My m-i-l was severely coeliac so there was a lot of duplicated stuff to avoid cross contamination. On more than one occasion she was hospitalised due to severe reactions to gluten, so all lot of care was taken to protect her.
I had to ban peanut butter from our home after I witnessed N putting a knife that he'd just used to spread peanut butter into the jam jar :eek:
We do have a lot of knives, it wasn't just lack of knives setting up the situation, just lack of care.
Anyway he has peanut butter at work and a knife for it at work and his own jar of jam at work, but peanut butter is absolutely banned in our home in case he accidentally kills me.

Back
Top Bottom