Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Show us your kitchen cupboards

I have a lot of herbs, spices, bottles of condiments and cooking ingredients, and not much cupboard space - so I've started to get racks to put stuff in (got a free small veg rack off Freecycle yesterday that fits under a shelf on my kitchen counter and it's already revolutionised my spice clutter. Going to get another couple of the same over the weekend if I can, and when I've got it sorted I might take photos (at the moment the overriding decorative theme in the kitchen is still "bomb gone off").

I’ve gone off it lately as it was causing me to have the runs. That jar has been unopened for a few months
I love the stuff but Mrs SFM has been biased against it for years - until, that is, she read in some book that it's good for gut health so now she's a fan. Fickle......

This thread inspired me to use some of the tins to make a bean chilli yesterday, it wasn’t very nice though may improve after reheating but that’s more down to me being a shit cook (it has been nicer before, so must have done something different), it was good to cook something anyway :)

This thread inspired me to use some of the tins to make a bean chilli yesterday, it wasn’t very nice though may improve after reheating but that’s more down to me being a shit cook (it has been nicer before, so must have done something different)
I was concerned about the lack of spices and flavourings, chilli pastes, etc, so I suggest that you invest and keep us informed.

No need to go mad, just start with a few and work up from there, otherwise you will end up with lots of unopened stale spices past their use-by-date, which does matter with spices.

Last edited:
I was concerned about the lack of spices and flavourings, chilli pastes, etc, so I suggest that you invest and keep us informed.

No need to go mad, just start with a few and work up from there, otherwise you will end up with lots of unopened stale spices past their use-by-date, which does matter with spices.
There were spices in the pictures but perhaps not awfully visible :)

That is all well and good, but I remain concerned about dozens of jars that are probably well past the best-before date. Time for a major purge in a lot of cupboards, I suspect.

As for dried basil, no thanks.

DSC-0687.jpg
My spice drawer still looks pretty much the same as this, only it's currently a similarly-sized cardboard box in the aforementioned storage unit.

Herbs I've collected and dried myself are kept with the plant seeds though, because that makes more sense to my brain.

Back
Top Bottom