Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What’s your kitchen drawer’s fork-knife-spoon-small spoon ratio?

I spent several days going around all the charity shops in Norwich buying up cutlery before going to Ireland to cater at the European Juggling Convention in 2014.
I refused to pay more than 10p per item and ended up with roughly 300 each knives, forks and spoons plus maybe 50 teaspoons.
I still have most of them although not all in my kitchen drawer.

I spent several days going around all the charity shops in Norwich buying up cutlery before going to Ireland to cater at the European Juggling Convention in 2014.
I refused to pay more than 10p per item and ended up with roughly 300 each knives, forks and spoons plus maybe 50 teaspoons.
I still have most of them although not all in my kitchen drawer.
I'm unclear as to whether that was providing food, doing a cutlery juggling performance, or a combination of the two :D

Cutlery I crave: fish knives and forks, steak knives, a butter knife, a cheese knife with two prongs, one of those Swiss Vetrinnox tomato knives recently promoted on these boards..

When I went to university in a location very central to our little island, I had multiple arguments with other students who would not believe that fish knives and forks existed.

It didn’t help that I couldn’t really describe how the differences were particularly helpful in eating fish compared to regular cutlery.

What's wrong with you heathens?

At the very least you need a full complement of teaspoon, dessert spoon, tablespoon, soup spoon, cream-soup spoon, chowder spoon, salt spoon, bouillon spoon, caviar spoon, Chinese spoon, cutty, demitasse spoon, egg spoon, French sauce spoon, horn spoon, parfait spoon, Korean spoon, marrow scoop, grapefruit spoon, melon spoon, rattail spoon, saucier spoon, seal-top spoon, spork, sporf, spife, splayd and stroon per setting.

I'm relieved to see such normal spoon ownership/expectation on here after the serious trauma of the 'no jug' and 'no corkscrew' threads.

Not only do I have about 20 teaspoons, but I also have about 20 little spoons with long handles so I can feel fancy when I eat yoghurts and other sundry spoon items. Luxury is using a spoon to taste cooking or get some jam and then immediately abandoning it as dirty and getting a clean one. The more spoons the better, as far as I'm concerned.

6x6x6x6x6 knives, forks, spoons, teaspoons, cake forks. Stored, as is only right and proper, in a suitable drawer insert. Knives, forks, and spoons (in that order) go in the main slots, the teaspoons and cake forks get their own little slots on the side.

I also have 4 additional knives, forks and spoons, which are stored in a separate cupboard and are there for emergencies. Plus an assortment of "tea" spoons, which get used for making tea with (😮) , and end up quite caffeine stained, and have to be regularly cleaned in sodium percarbonate solution ("oxygen bleach"). This keeps the non-tea teaspoons shiny and pristine, which is how I like them.

It's fucked, we had a roughly equal amount when we moved in, so far we have had to buy new small spoons 5 times, forks and knives maybe twice each. Can we find all this missing cutlery? No, has it left the house? Unlikey? Where the fuck does it all go.

Back
Top Bottom