Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What’s your kitchen drawer’s fork-knife-spoon-small spoon ratio?

Very few table knives by UK standards here as they don't get the same mileage in Chinese cuisine, spoons aplenty and a fair number of forks despite them ostensibly being in the same boat as the knives.
Mostly chopsticks I assume?

Do you use reusable or disposable? Wooden or metal? Something I've always wondered, but never got around to asking.

Mostly chopsticks I assume?

Do you use reusable or disposable? Wooden or metal? Something I've always wondered, but never got around to asking.
Wooden and bamboo reusable. Got a couple of metal pairs from somewhere but never use them.

There are a couple of forks in our cutlery drawer that make me recoil if I accidentally pick them from the drawer. They just feel wrong in the hand - too small and light, with the end jabbing into the palm. They get flung back in the drawer with disgust

I've done a quick survey of the contents of the cutlery drawer and the dishwasher and can report we own 16 knives, 16 forks, 11 large spoons, 10 small spoons and 1 Kellogg Cereal novelty spoon. I am aware of the existence of a posh set of cutlery for use by visitors but Mrs Q has stored that in a secret location so I can't count those.
I do note that they are of several different styles and since I have never bought any cutlery in my life, I can only presume that our cutlery drawer contains a wormhole through which other people's missing cutlery is falling into our drawer.

I, like Jeff Bezos and others of our class, are pretty well served for nice cutlery. When I was leaving home, my Mum was working in the kitchens of a posh hotel and she erm... borrowed, on a long term basis, quite a lot to set me up.

I am slightly lacking in soup spoons though, only having 7 I think, but I also passed on a good chunk of my inheritance to my lad when he was leaving home.

We should have four of each plus a couple of extra spoons that came free with Vietnamese takeaways but we've also got one extra fork because I found it on the ground up on Dartmoor. Mrs Frank refuses to use the Dartmoor fork, assuming that it's cursed or something.

Had 6 of everything in a set but think a few years ago when my wife left she took a few as she said she’d bought those herself before she met me.

Have pinched a couple of super small tea spoons from the Doubletree Bristol which come with the coffee machine in the room there as they are handy being that little bit smaller

I can't say I've taken stock of the contents of the cutlery drawer for a long while. There should be two full sets (not quite matching) of six place settings plus an extra half-dozen tea spoons. That would suggest the ratio of 'small' spoons to other cutlery should be higher.

Cutlery drawer is over-supplied with full-size forks / dessert spoons compared to the number of knives.
Have a large number of mis-matched teaspoons [in several sizes] and a few soup / serving spoons.

Will be looking out for another bundle of charity shop teaspoons ...

Have exactly the same problem with cutlery at the workshop as in some things [& mugs] are disappearing, although since I sacked one guy last year, the speed at which mugs get broken has massively decreased.

What are the two types of ‘small spoon’?
I only know of teaspoon, dessert spoon and table spoon. Serving spoons too, but they’re bought on their own
Teaspoon and dessert spoon, both of which are classed as small in my book.

We also have a couple of large spoons which business end is a perfect circumference, rather than being oval-shaped. Don’t know what they’re for or where they came from.

I think you only get them in posh dinner sets. Don’t think we have any and can’t recall seeing them down Wilko.
We use dessert spoons for soup. Probably more than for dessert as we hardly ever have it unless children are visiting

The alternative to soup spoons, if you care about not soiling your shirts over lunch, is to tuck a napkin into your Collar like Hercule Poirot, which would be much more pretentious.

And, sadly you won't see anything down Wilko these days.

Mine is an embarrassing ferago. Mismatched sets acrued over the years. More teaspoons than one man really needs, owing to my propensity to nick them from hotels, work place kitchens, :oops: and a jumled assortment of wine savers, mind your fingers on the steak knives, semi functional tin openers, cork screws, bits... what ever the fuck that thing's for...

I, like Jeff Bezos and others of our class, are pretty well served for nice cutlery. When I was leaving home, my Mum was working in the kitchens of a posh hotel and she erm... borrowed, on a long term basis, quite a lot to set me up.

I am slightly lacking in soup spoons though, only having 7 I think, but I also passed on a good chunk of my inheritance to my lad when he was leaving home.
My great-grandparents had a small farm/ market garden in Twickenham this time last century. They sent fruit and vegetables up to posh hotels and restaurants and brought vats of pig swill. Consequently they always dined with fancy, but mismatching cutlery.

Back
Top Bottom