Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vegan BBQ

One I will do which is super easy and really smoky tasting is BBQ'd lettuce. Quarter up little gems, toss in olive oil, add salt and pepper and bbq for a few minutes. Probably the smokiest tasting food you'll have off of a bbq
Sounds good 👍

theres vegan mayo in all supermarkets now
also can do german potato salad which is oil based

This, I do a potato salad with olive oil, lemon juice or white wine vinegar, a bit of mustard, a bit of garlic, it's lush. You can also do it with potatoes that haven't quite cooled and they soak it all up (unlike if you did that with mayo which would go a bit claggy if it came into contact with warm potatoes!)

I also do a spicy coleslaw with an oil based dressing - red cabbage, carrot, apple, spring onions, olive oil, lemon/lime/vinegar (pick one as the acid element for the dressing) and a good splurge of tabasco or sriracha

This, I do a potato salad with olive oil, lemon juice or white wine vinegar, a bit of mustard, a bit of garlic, it's lush. You can also do it with potatoes that haven't quite cooled and they soak it all up (unlike if you did that with mayo which would go a bit claggy if it came into contact with warm potatoes!)

I also do a spicy coleslaw with an oil based dressing - red cabbage, carrot, apple, spring onions, olive oil, lemon/lime/vinegar (pick one as the acid element for the dressing) and a good splurge of tabasco or sriracha
Sounds good apart from the Apple 🤔🤣😢🤢
Personal opinion of course 👍.

Tahini is lovely with anything grilled and should please a lot of the meat eaters too as an accompaniment (fond memories of my time in Egypt :D )

Awesome stuff. I've still got some of a huge jar I bought back from Turkey last year. I mostly use it to make Hummous, but should use it more.

I've never got my home made Hummous as good as I'd like. :(

yes breads are an option, but potato salad or other salad grains .... no different to meat bbq really in that regard no?

i think most vegans would rather roasted veg than fake meat
Not me. Nothing more dispiriting than finding your vegan option is a pile of vegetables. We still need protein.

But I'm massively not a fan of barbeques anyway. Just cook some nice food in the oven, will be nicer, on time and properly cooked

Aubergine and courgette are both great grilled or on a BBQ.

Marinaded in oil, garlic and lemon juice maybe done chilli flakes.

Lovely on their own but would work well with tahini dressing or hummus

Not me. Nothing more dispiriting than finding your vegan option is a pile of vegetables. We still need protein.

But I'm massively not a fan of barbeques anyway. Just cook some nice food in the oven, will be nicer, on time and properly cooked
Any thoughts on sides which would put protein in the mix?

I get that but would prefer a lentil or bean based product not processed fake meat.
Agree with the BBQ views though. I’ve got a perfectly functioning oven in the house 🤣.

I can see why you'd think that. I'm far from a vegan, but think I can do a fairly good job if I'm catering for them.

When I have to include a vegan in a BBQ it feels sub optimal. I do my best by having nice grain based salads and other stuff they'd really want to eat, but the BBQ bit doesn't seem as good as I like. But then I love feeding people and don't like serving unintresting food.

What do you do with seitan? Do you just bbq as it comes or marinade in advance or or?

So because I'm an idiot and wanted to make things harder for myself I made it from scratch, so it had loads of flavour anyway and it was precooked in a veg stock. I tried some of the "raw" stuff after this and was quite impressed. I think I might have overcooked the burgers I made from it on the day though as they were a bit tough, which is a shame as I put loads of effort it the day before, but on the day my attention was to focused on the pulled pork and ribs. :(

There is a thread here.

I keep trying jackfruit products and they are rank! Don’t let me start about tofu 🤷‍♀️🤢

The trick to tofu is pressing most of the liquid out of it (use the firm stuff), then dreg it in corn flour or even better potatoe stach with some spices. And then deep fry it. :D

Back
Top Bottom