Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do you stay full on a vegan/wfpb diet?

Feeling cold generally happens when you have “run out” of calories
you mean you have no energy left?

I don't know if that's the explanation. It's not like I ate nothing yesterday. Anyway, went to the GP and it may be a feature (or a bug) of the antibiotics i'm taking for a UTI, or...not. I don't have a high temperature or some other thing she measured by sticking my finger inside some weird clip device. Next week I'm going to get my bloods done. Assuming I haven't turned into a giant sweet potato by then.

Running out of calories sounds like death. I mean, you have no energy left. Sounds grim.
I dont think plant based should be carb heavy tbh. You can have a very high protein and veg/fibre diet that way. Might be you need to tweak what you're cooking.
Some people do low carb vegan. Everyone has an idea of what constitutes low/high carb. Protein is the most satiating nutrient. But I don't know what would qualify as high protein but lower carb except stuff like Seitan. Most vegan food, ime, tends to be higher carb and at most moderate in protein. What would you suggest?

But if you "naturally" eat two tins of tuna and some chicken a day I would say you do have a high craving and natural desire for protein because that must be going on 120g of protein a day, combined with whatever else you eat. A lot of people just don't have the desire for that much protein and honestly I do think a plant based diet can be easier or more natural for them.
I don't know that I crave protein, at least not that i've considered. Perhaps you're right. It's just what i've become accustomed to and it is more filling. I guess that's the point. I wouldn't know if it's what i've become used to or what I'm predisposed to.

Overall I think you do have to experiment. I'm not saying don't go vegan at all. But maybe being vegetarian for 6 months would be a better intro? Also don't feel bad at yourself if it doesn't work. I think diet and metabolism are pretty complex and not fully understood by science/nutrition theories yet.
That might be a good idea.

Eating non plant based is frankly the easiest way to get your body nutrients.

What basis do you have for this claim exactly?

when people are half dead in hospital they don't go straight in with a strict vegan diet.

My father in law was half-dead in hospital with fucked kidneys a few years back. Hospital recommended a vegan diet. He grudgingly agreed and his health is now much improved.

BMI i think is around 21-22? I'm 5'7 and about 65kg.
Blimey that's lean !
How do you do it ?
Skinniest I've ever been is BMI 23 point something.
If I was trying a new diet, I would be weighing myself regularly to see if I was in caloric deficit ...

Maybe not the best time to be trying this when you're on antibiotics and are unwell? Adding stress to your system with a significant change in fuel supply and type might best be done when you're back to good health.

Any change in diet has some effects/ repercussions. I recently went on a low sugar diet and meds to eliminate sugars.
I got very thirsty and drank loads of water. Effectively I was driving sugars out of me. J felt truly awful. Was slurring my speech..wobbly walking...Eventually my brother saw me and asked me wtf had happened..told me to get my bloodd checked. Turned out I was becoming hypoglycemic because my blood sugar was low to start with and was driven lower by the new meds and my high intake of water.
Unfortunately I appear to have come down with something. This is the second time i've attempted this way of eating only to have health issues at the same time. Felt very cold yesterday evening, overnight (when out of bed) and this morning. Dunno what's going on. I don't appear to have a fever. Perhaps the god of veganism hates me

My father in law was half-dead in hospital with fucked kidneys a few years back. Hospital recommended a vegan diet. He grudgingly agreed and his health is now much improved.
Key part of that is the part about his kidneys. Low protein diet can be essential at certain stages of ckd. And avoiding certain foods. I doubt he was told to eat lots of beans peas lentils as they are not the best food for someone with severe kidney disease.

Ps. CkD diets do vary as per stage of disease.

Blimey that's lean !
How do you do it ?
If I was trying a new diet, I would be weighing myself regularly to see if I was in caloric deficit ...
I don't know how accurate that number is. I've not had it formally checked in years. All i can give you is my height and weight.

Blimey that's lean !
How do you do it ?
My daughter was something like 18 despite having full access to the houses's resources and those of the restaurant she was working at, who did family dinner as did we. Unless you try however it is rather difficult to do OMAD (one meal a day) and have the required amount of calories. Less so for her at barely 5ft and inactive outside the kitchen and glad she is looking a lot healthier now.
BMI can be misleading tho, I was at the gym for every day of the year for 3 years, sometimes more than once. My BMI hovered around 29 yet I never once looked overweight. While I have looked very much so at 27 previous to going to the gym.

Maybe not the best time to be trying this when you're on antibiotics and are unwell? Adding stress to your system with a significant change in fuel supply and type might best be done when you're back to good health.
Probably wise.

Any change in diet has some effects/ repercussions. I recently went on a low sugar diet and meds to eliminate sugars.
I got very thirsty and drank loads of water. Effectively I was driving sugars out of me. J felt truly awful. Was slurring my speech..wobbly walking...Eventually my brother saw me and asked me wtf had happened..told me to get my bloodd checked. Turned out I was becoming hypoglycemic because my blood sugar was low to start with and was driven lower by the new meds and my high intake of water.
out of curiosity but why were you on a low sugar diet as well as meds to remove sugars? That sounds, as you discovered, risky

Probably wise.

out of curiosity but why were you on a low sugar diet as well as meds to remove sugars? That sounds, as you discovered, risky
Well the heart dr put me on empagliflozin (a drug diabetics take) which coincidentally has a benefit for heart patients with kidney disease. I am not diabetic .. and my blood sugar (as it turns out) is actually on the low side despite my passion for Ritchies mints and Barley drops. So when I went on the empagliflozin (for my heart and kidneys) it drove sugars out of my system. Leaving me with symptoms of hypoglycemia. I've no idea why I was thirsty..

Eta
My "low sugar diet" consisted of not eating my stash of sugary sweets, not eating biscuits and cake and taking splenda instead of sugar.

<mutters something about the shortcomings of BMI...>
lol.
I find it more useful than someone saying someone is n stones without thinking it's important whether they're 5 foot 9 or 6 foot 2... and it usually is imperial measurements...

What my waist size and BMI tell me is that I'm probably short on muscle mass

lol.
I find it more useful than someone saying someone is n stones without thinking it's important whether they're 5 foot 9 or 6 foot 2... and it usually is imperial measurements...

What my waist size and BMI tell me is that I'm probably short on muscle mass

Possibly. I looked fairly emaciated when I got to a BMI of 25 some years back and 32 inch waist trousers were getting quite loose.
BMI of 27 suits me much better - it's my current long term target after the lockdown spread. :(

Carb heavy, fruit/sugar heavy diet can make you hungry. You need more high quality fats and proteins.

Nuts, seeds, avocados and olive oil are the best quality vegan fats.

Up your protein, apparently avocado and eggs(not vegan obv but you're not that yet) are full of it, shame they both make me sick :D Potatoes and mushrooms are good for protein too iirc

Up your protein, apparently avocado and eggs(not vegan obv but you're not that yet) are full of it, shame they both make me sick :D Potatoes and mushrooms are good for protein too iirc

V little protein in an avocado.
Eggs have a reasonable amount.

Potatoes and mushrooms not so much.

Peanut butter is the ultimate vegan power food. Long distance hikers who follow a plant diet get through jars of the stuff.

Potatoes are pretty low in protein FWIW. Eggs are about 6g per medium / large one but personally I can't eat more than a couple at a time. Actually maybe that's your answer, eat more eggs if you're not committed veganism just yet.

Which tahini would you recommend for a novice?
The healthfood coop stuff is very nice as I recall - Suma and Essential -- doubtless there are drk "wholegrain" forms.- but my local deli sells cheap Lebanese stuff - a fraction of the price :-
To be fair last time I had my lipids checked (very low) I wasn't eating nearly as much as I am now plus I was in caloric deficit ..

1699386468900.png

The healthfood coop stuff is very nice as I recall - Suma and Essential -- doubtless there are drk "wholegrain" forms.- but my local deli sells cheap Lebanese stuff - a fraction of the price :-
To be fair last time I had my lipids checked (very low) I wasn't eating nearly as much as I am now plus I was in caloric deficit ..

View attachment 399024

When I buy I also tend to go to a local shop that sells Middle Eastern goods - much more likely to be able to pick up a big tub of the stuff at a better price than a small supermarket jar.
Well worth it if you tend to use a lot.

View attachment 399024

Aside from knowing it's in hummus I'm pretty ignorant of tahini.
Nutritional profile is def impressive.

Tempeh is an excellent protein source. Sadly not as tasty or versatile as tofu, but if you throw it in a curry or something nice and saucy it can work.

1699391482478.png

Dried red lentils are also amazing - 25% protein, and full of fibre and micronutrients! The art of a good dal, I have recently discovered, is using an instant pot or pressure cooker, so get them really nice and soft.

Back
Top Bottom