Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Food and drink you discovered on holiday

A lot of these food and drink experiences depend massively on circumstance, company and setting, don’t they? Bit like taking drugs.
I wouldn’t enjoy a cold lager in a pub in England in November but sat outside on a hot day in a Mediterranean country when on holiday with friends is just lovely.
Same with Orangina and Coca Cola, esp from a classic glass bottle.
A G&T in Seville is an entirely different experience to a G&T in a Wetherspoons in Elephant & Castle.
Fish n chips is a good example of how this also applies to food.

Cacio e pepe in Rome. Simple, yet effective.

On the subject of German food, one of the things I loved about Munich was the ubiquity of pretzels. As in the bread ones, not the crunchy little snacks.
The lidl ones are the best imitation in the uk.
They freeze well, so i bulk buy them

I've never met anyone, French people included, who likes them.

I'm convinced they're a joke, along with Icelandic harkarl, which the natives enjoy serving to foreigners as a piss-take.
The mrs likes them, but she did grow up with them and they absolutely are an... acquired taste.

I'm convinced they're a joke, along with Icelandic harkarl, which the natives enjoy serving to foreigners as a piss-take.
When I worked in France, they used to do it in the work canteen. It was very popular. 🤮

(The smell. 🤮)

When I worked in France, they used to do it in the work canteen. It was very popular. 🤮

(The smell. 🤮)

The smell is the gag factor. If you can block that, the actual taste isn't that foul. It's just like a not very nice sausage. Of course, ignoring the smell is far easier said than done.

A lot of these food and drink experiences depend massively on circumstance, company and setting, don’t they? Bit like taking drugs.
I wouldn’t enjoy a cold lager in a pub in England in November but sat outside on a hot day in a Mediterranean country when on holiday with friends is just lovely.
Same with Orangina and Coca Cola, esp from a classic glass bottle.
A G&T in Seville is an entirely different experience to a G&T in a Wetherspoons in Elephant & Castle.
Fish n chips is a good example of how this also applies to food.
Ouzo and water whilst island hopping in Greece was absolutely divine.

We brought a bottle home.

It definitely was not the same in our crappy front room in Brixton on a rainy afternoon.....

Had them sliced on a gallette in Brittany last month. Ok for a few mouthfuls, but then increasingly unpleasant. I left half of it.

IMG_20240611_140036929.jpgOn the same holiday I randomly picked some of this stuff up in the supermarket. Kind of pickled seaweed condiment. You are meant to mix it with fish, but we enjoyed it very much in a cheese and tomato sandwich.

Reactions: Sue
The smell is the gag factor. If you can block that, the actual taste isn't that foul. It's just like a not very nice sausage. Of course, ignoring the smell is far easier said than done.
The wet stinky tofu they do in Taiwan and the south here is like that, smells like boiling nappies but tastes great.

Another one - this is one I now make in the airfryer. When you go out to dinner in mainland China they put fried peanuts on the table (like they do Olives in Europe and raw garlic cloves in Korea).
Absolutely love them. recently Googled them and even more recently Googled them again and someone had adapted them for the airfryer. They're also really nice with a bit of dried garlic mixed in for the last couple of minutes of cooking.

I'm veggie so it's the concept too.

I'm still outraged that my French colleagues -- one eating andouillette, the other steak so bleu there was a puddle of blood on her plate -- were horrified that (in my hungover state), I combined chips and bread to make an approximation of a chip buttie. They thought it was the grossest thing they'd ever seen. :mad:

Warm Sake, which we got quite squiffy on one night in Tokyo. The following night we had real proper melt on your tongue Wagyu beef.

When I was in Cannes in 1989 I found a sandwich place that did gorgeous salad rolls and i could not put my finger on why they tasted so good. Eventually i worked out it was the dressing. So i back engineered it and have been having similarly gorgeous salad rolls ever since. Back then I'd only ever had my mum's honey & mustard dressing or salad cream - vinaigrette changed my life.

Last edited:
Your potato dish reminds me pinkmonkey of tartiflette that I once had in the alps. Potatoes, cheese and lardons. Heaven.

I didn't understand why the food portions were so massive everywhere in Chamonix - to my shame I thought it was because of the influx of Americans :oops:

And then I spent a very long day in the mountains.

We have a Tartiflette thread here that I’ve been doing my best to keep afloat: Tartiflette. Nom! 😋

Who was it on these boards who had a story about asking for a chicken and cheese sandwich in France and being told he couldn't have that because that's not a correct combination.
And then not letting him buy a cheese sandwich AND a chicken sandwich because "I know what you're going to do" ??

Do you mean natto? Like eating boiled snot.
No, it's tofu that's been fermented a bit or something so it has a really pungent flavour. Will have to look up how they make it. There's more than one sort, the stuff in Hubei they deep fry is more like smoked/dry tofu in texture.

On my current journey I have been exposed to a lot of Basque, Cantabrian, Asturian and Galician food. The happy cows in Asturias were good. The brown cheese in Cantabria was not. I gave it away to some middle class Americans who had tricked themselves in to believing mouldy cheese taste good.
I also tried some MamaJuana from the Dominican Republic. Rum, honey and red wine. It is supposed to be amazing. The hangover was amazing.

Saganaki
Cacio e pepe in Rome. Simple, yet effective.

On the subject of German food, one of the things I loved about Munich was the ubiquity of pretzels. As in the bread ones, not the crunchy little snacks.
Sliced down the middle & buttered= heaven!

Back
Top Bottom