Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Food and drink you discovered on holiday

Slivovic (plum brandy) and Hruskovic (pear brandy) in my mum's native Slovakia. We get through quite a few shots of that stuff every time we stay at my parents' place out there - strong but drinkable, just be sure to have it with a big meal!

I remember also first discovering having chips with mayonnaise in Belgium when my dad was living/working in Brussels - liked the combo ever since.

Who was it on these boards who had a story about asking for a chicken and cheese sandwich in France and being told he couldn't have that because that's not a correct combination.
And then not letting him buy a cheese sandwich AND a chicken sandwich because "I know what you're going to do" ??
I have many terrible tales of French 'customer service'.

I did have a guy in an ice cream shop in Italy refuse to sell me a cone as he thought the two ice cream flavours I'd selected didnt go together.

However, he did then let me try various combos he recommended at length and for free so I'll let him off.

Who was it on these boards who had a story about asking for a chicken and cheese sandwich in France and being told he couldn't have that because that's not a correct combination.
And then not letting him buy a cheese sandwich AND a chicken sandwich because "I know what you're going to do" ??

I agree with the sandwich vendor, and the poster who wanted to mix chicken and cheese is the sort of monster who would slop up their steaks at Truffoni’s.

Although on top of a fried chicken breast it's good. I'd call that a chicken burger, but I belive in some countries it's a chicken sandwich.

Short of murdering someone with it, what fucking business is it of yours what I want to do with the goods and services you're selling me? I get "we don't sell a chicken and cheese sandwich", but the whole "can't sell you a half of lager and a half of cider" thing is bollocks.

Short of murdering someone with it, what fucking business is it of yours what I want to do with the goods and services you're selling me? I get "we don't sell a chicken and cheese sandwich", but the whole "can't sell you a half of lager and a half of cider" thing is bollocks.

Snakebite was pretty tame looking back.

My local often has imperial stouts, 10% and over. When I first started going I ordered a half and joked I bet you don't sell that in pints. Nope. They'll sell you it however you want if you pay for it.

I've never met anyone, French people included, who likes them.

I'm convinced they're a joke, along with Icelandic harkarl, which the natives enjoy serving to foreigners as a piss-take.
I have a friend who was teaching English in Japan. When he was coming back to the UK the students took him for a meal which included.
Raw chicken
Live prawns.
Being pissed he tried both, but then noticed no one else was eating them

The smell is the gag factor. If you can block that, the actual taste isn't that foul. It's just like a not very nice sausage. Of course, ignoring the smell is far easier said than done.
it has a lovely chewy texture and if done right the outside is nice and crispy and the mustard (or mustard sauce if you have it in a restaurant) takes the edge off the smell.

If you grow up with it it's just food.

It's no weirder than haggis (I prefer the vegan version of that), faggots (many people don't do liver) or tripe (which I don't like even though it's pretty much the same components as andouille and andouillettes - but the way it's cooked makes it "wet" and it changes the mouth feel)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Sue
Oh, and I discovered chorizo in 2003, in a tiny village on the Sierra Nevada while i was shopping for breakfast stuff. I wish i could have my first ever experience of it again, it really did rock my world. Though I'm veggie now so it's history for me these days. A similar time i discovered Spanish black pudding - morcilla - which i had in a free tapas dish while camping in the Alpajurras. .

Slivovic (plum brandy) and Hruskovic (pear brandy) in my mum's native Slovakia. We get through quite a few shots of that stuff every time we stay at my parents' place out there - strong but drinkable, just be sure to have it with a big meal!

I remember also first discovering having chips with mayonnaise in Belgium when my dad was living/working in Brussels - liked the combo ever since.
Reminded me that I had a Berliner when i was in Amsterdam - and i couldn't help walking around reciting the old Eddie Izzard joke about JFK being a donut. I've never had another one so it's not really suitable for this thread.

... that has become a bit of a fixture?

For us it has to be Vino Verde from Portugal, first introduced to us by airbnb host in Porto who left a bottle in the fridge for us. Often referred to at home as 'Vino Greeno' it has become a bit of a summer drinking staple. Albeit seems relatively hard to find this year, wondering if the grape harvest in Portugal has not been great lately.
There are some 'Wines of Portugal' events and promotions on in June, so check if there's any events/tastings near you.

Deep fried battered pickles. Served as snacks/ side dishes, they’re fucking delicious. Discovered them at an American-themed bar in Jordan of all places. I gather they’ve been a thing in the US for years, but remain fairly uncommon over here.
I had those somewhere in North America - it may have been Vancouver actually - they were really good but only had once out of concern for my health!

plenty of vino verde available here in Portugal, maybe the new import rules to UK are lowering availability there. It’s know here as driving wine, due to to the ‘relatively’ low alcohol content :)
When we lived in Porto vinho verde was a favourite drink in the summer. I fancied a bottle after reading this thread. The local Waitrose has it listed as being Spanish. I couldn’t help but think that if they can’t get even the country right how likely are they to get the wine right. I bought some cider instead.

Deep fried battered pickles. Served as snacks/ side dishes, they’re fucking delicious. Discovered them at an American-themed bar in Jordan of all places. I gather they’ve been a thing in the US for years, but remain fairly uncommon over here.
1000076414.jpg

Costco has them at the moment if there's space in your freezer

Pinxtos in the basque country
Fantastic
Also from the Basque country, Txakoli wine. So easy to find and cheap there, virtually impossible here.

Eta. And Radler beer. Easy to find in Europe and better than shandy on a baking hot day.

When I first tried Canadian ice wine (about 23 years ago) it was much more difficult to get here.

Back
Top Bottom