Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Food and drink you discovered on holiday

No me either. I suspect part of it is ingredients - difficult to obtain, especially fresh and/or expensive. No one is going to spend £30 on a dish you can buy in any hole in the wall place. Same as anywhere I suppose - the fruit and veg you get here, like tomatoes, are a pale imitation of the stuff you can get in Spain or Italy or Greece.

I've given up on Thai food in the UK. I'm sure it's fantastic in Thailand, but it's only ever felt average at best when I've had it here. In fact, the stuff I make at home with the Mae Ploy pastes is as good as stuff I've paid for in restaurants.

Vietnamese food is some of the best I've had on holiday. Have never found it as good outside of Vietnam.
There was plenty of Vietnamese food in the early 90s in Oz, I wasn’t a massive fan. Maybe wrong ingredients or cheap ingredients. Wasn’t particularly fussed about going to Vietnam but was blown away by the food.

Interesting! I have so much sage in my garden I've been wondering what to do with it. There are lots of different types of sage though!

I went through a few bouts of tonsillitis a couple of decades ago, and used to make a red sage tea with honey, very soothing for a sore throat.

No me either. I suspect part of it is ingredients - difficult to obtain, especially fresh and/or expensive. No one is going to spend £30 on a dish you can buy in any hole in the wall place. Same as anywhere I suppose - the fruit and veg you get here, like tomatoes, are a pale imitation of the stuff you can get in Spain or Italy or Greece.
Yes - particularly the amazing mint.

Sandwiches in Japanese convenience stores. With this hugely artificial white sliced bread. Got addicted to them.

Kasteel Rouge (in Lille) and Chouffe (in Antwerp).

Supermarket sushi, before it was a thing here (in Seattle, not in Japan, which I've always wanted to visit but haven't!).

Currywurst. My first time in Berlin and oh my days. I have a favourite imbiss to get it from now, Curry 36 next to Bahnhof Zoo. I've tried imitations here but they're not the same
I've been to Berlin twice, currywurst and doner kebabs from open counters with a few tables to stand up at was all i ever ate when there. I fondly used to Curry 36 the first time i was there, lovely stuff. I tried to recreate Currywurst with Aldi Bratwurst with ketchup and curry powder poured over it and i really shouldn't have bothered, it was rank.

These things were quite popular in the 7/11's in Thailand. A 50p toastie made by the staff in a lovely cold air conditioned convenience store.

2024-06-11_09-34-38.jpg

I've given up on Thai food in the UK. I'm sure it's fantastic .
A girl in my year at school worked in Japan and met and married a Thai man, they have two grown up girls, now. They have an on-off relationship and he's in the UK sporadically, when he's here he does the food at the local pub and it's some of the best Thai I've had here, he also makes a better roast and Yorkshires than most people I know!

My favourite German food has to be Bratkartoffeln - basically a sausage and fried potatoes, you can get the spuds in Lidl. (Look for Sauteed Potatoes) But they never taste quite the same as when they're cooked by a middle aged German woman in a pinny, in a giant cast iron pan on a stall.

I’ve never had tartiflette in France/the Alps. Have only made it or bought it from a posh farmer’s market. It is one of my favourite things to eat. I can only imagine how amazing it must taste, especially after day out in the snowy Alps.

Back
Top Bottom