Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vegan BBQ

Ooh the potatoes, scallions and okra look lush!
A skewer would be the equivalent of of about 10p when I lived down that way in a little town and these barbie stalls would set up on the roadsides and bridges on warm nights. Cheap beer too, could have a night of indulgence for pennies!

Reactions: ash
I really don’t like tofu apart from some from a Beijing street food place in Brixton. It’s like noodles JimW might know what it is ?
I can’t eat the spongy type it’s just too bland imo

A skewer would be the equivalent of of about 10p when I lived down that way in a little town and these barbie stalls would set up on the roadsides and bridges on warm nights. Cheap beer too, could have a night of indulgence for pennies!
Interesting as I always imagine China would be short of veggie stuff. However I’ve only been to HK and they love their meat. I ordered a rice dish that sounded fine but when I opened up the banana leaf it was being steamed in it was full of pork 🤣🤣.

Good idea. BBQ banana split lengthways, insert vegan chocolate flambéed with spirit of choice. Non vegan alternative Cadburys caramel. So you can do both at once.
Gonna keep the bananas in their skins an inject the spirit into them before cooking.

Could call it banana surprise??

I really don’t like tofu apart from some from a Beijing street food place in Brixton. It’s like noodles JimW might know what it is ?
I can’t eat the spongy type it’s just too bland imo
That's sliced tofu skin I think, thin dry sheets that you can shred, the bloke who makes tofu and comes round selling here sells it and I slice and marinade my own. For bbq you want what they call dry dofu which is a thicker small sheet size of a big smartphone. It's pressed a bit denser and will stay happily on a skewer.

I have found that some veggies aren’t too bothered by sharing grills but haven’t cooked for any vegans yet. When I cooked for my Muslim neighbour she asked me to make sure the grill was super clean from any pork which of course I was happy to do.

I have found that some veggies aren’t too bothered by sharing grills but haven’t cooked for any vegans yet. When I cooked for my Muslim neighbour she asked me to make sure the grill was super clean from any pork which of course I was happy to do.

It wouldn't fly for an ethical veggie/vegan (or someone with food intolerances or allergies) to have it on the same grill, that might be OK for people who are more about meat-reduction than a stricter diet, but a longterm veggie or vegan would probably find that repugnant and you shouldn't bank on the grill sharing being OK if catering for non-meat eaters - better to err the other way and do it on the hob/oven on clean pans.

I mean it can start getting into "but some vegetarians I know will eat fish" territory if you're not careful.

It wouldn't fly for an ethical veggie/vegan (or someone with food intolerances or allergies) to have it on the same grill, that might be OK for people who are more about meat-reduction than a stricter diet, but a longterm veggie or vegan would probably find that repugnant and you shouldn't bank on the grill sharing being OK if catering for non-meat eaters - better to err the other way and do it on the hob/oven on clean pans.

I mean it can start getting into "but some vegetarians I know will eat fish" territory if you're not careful.
I started eating fish after suffering too many eggs and chips and tortilla in Spain however I would not be happy with veggies cooked next to meat.

Any thoughts on sides which would put protein in the mix?
Drained tinned lentils, peanuts or cashews added to salads. Some firm tofu, cut into little cubes and marinated in something salty and oily for an hour or so, and then fried. The tofu youncan buy in the supermarket called tofoo comes in a few marinades.
Make sure all your more interesting salads are dressed in olive oil/ vinaigrette or vegan mayo

Banana grenade! :D

I was thinking along these lines. Quick google recipe but looks right.

Like banana grenade. Got me thinking maybe banana rumket for the rum flavoured ones?

Is it easy to get vegan chocolate and what does it taste like?

Drained tinned lentils, peanuts or cashews added to salads. Some firm tofu, cut into little cubes and marinated in something salty and oily for an hour or so, and then fried. The tofu youncan buy in the supermarket called tofoo comes in a few marinades.
Make sure all your more interesting salads are dressed in olive oil/ vinaigrette or vegan mayo
Cheers

Then it wouldn't be halloumi unless the cow is part of some weird genetic modification experiment where it is voluntarily dispensing sheep or goat milk :hmm:
Good point and sorry I was confusing vegetarian and vegan for a minute. Good job I don't need to cook for vegetarians. :eek:

Like banana grenade. Got me thinking maybe banana rumket for the rum flavoured ones?

I had some once and it was surprisingly good. Can’t remember the brand though

Yes, very easy, and it tastes fine/ delicious. Do you have a proper wholefoods shop near you? Otherwise just buy the darkest chocolate in the allergy friendly aisle in the supermarket that says ‘vegan’ on the label and use that, with maybe some extra sugar

Any thoughts on sides which would put protein in the mix?

My go to for a good very healthy dish would be Gigantes Plaki - basically giant beans cooked Greek style in a slightly spicy tomato sauce.
If you can't get the big Greek gigantes then do it with butter beans (tinned ones even, just make sure to cook the tomato based sauce down well first) - very high in protein, you can cook it on the hob in advance and then just serve up a massive pot of the stuff.
It also doesn't matter if it cools down, it's just as good hot, lukewarm, or cold.
High in protein, very healthy and nutritious for everyone.

A lot of recipes say to crumble feta on top, obviously this is not vegan so do not do that!

Another suggestion would be Ful Mudammas - an Egyptian/middle eastern fava bean dish, you can buy tinned fava beans and make it with those and put whatever toppings on you like (tomato, onion, olives etc for a vegan dish) and a good slosh of olive oil.

These are both delicious and if a big dish of either of these was served up at a BBQ they would go down a storm with everyone, while being very nutritious and completely vegan. Neither takes a lot of effort either, really just chop stuff, simmer it for a bit (if using tinned beans).

I know. The people I am talking about are ethical, (obviously their ethics are flexible).

just saying there may be a conversation to be had there. Save setting up 2 grills.

Whatever the reply is is set in stone. Respect others beliefs

But not wanting to derail so will leave it there if that’s ok? what knows their friends better than me.

Yes, very easy, and it tastes fine/ delicious. Do you have a proper wholefoods shop near you? Otherwise just buy the darkest chocolate in the allergy friendly aisle in the supermarket that says ‘vegan’ on the label and use that, with maybe some extra sugar

Chocolate itself is vegan, it's just that milk products are added to some bars of commercial chocolate for texture and taste considerations. Lots of dark chocolate is vegan.

I know. The people I am talking about are ethical, (obviously their ethics are flexible).

just saying there may be a conversation to be had there. Save setting up 2 grills.

Whatever the reply is is set in stone. Respect others beliefs

But not wanting to derail so will leave it there if that’s ok? what knows their friends better than me.
I'm setting up 2 grilles so shouldn't be a problem unless the cheese for the veggies migrates to the vegan dishes and causes an apocalyptic outrage from the vegans. Maybe just ditch the cheese and avoid the krakatowa(spellin) moment.

Not me. Nothing more dispiriting than finding your vegan option is a pile of vegetables. We still need protein.

But I'm massively not a fan of barbeques anyway. Just cook some nice food in the oven, will be nicer, on time and properly cooked
Genuine question.

As a vegan, what would your fantasy BBQ be?

I've not had to BBQ for vegans yet, but I'd love to be able to ensure I could give them a feast worthy of my BBQ.

I’m not vegan but I could enjoy a vegan BBQ - skewers as previously discussed and corn, oil based coleslaw and the non BBQ pad vada

Not me. Nothing more dispiriting than finding your vegan option is a pile of vegetables. We still need protein.

But I'm massively not a fan of barbeques anyway. Just cook some nice food in the oven, will be nicer, on time and properly cooked
This is why I opted for getting a pizza oven over a barbecue. Barbecues are just so much about the meat and most of my friends are veggie.

I'd probably do skewers of (marinated) tofu and veg with a satay sauce. Also goes with cauliflower.

And then all the usuals like salad, corn etc.

I'd probably do skewers of (marinated) tofu and veg with a satay sauce.

And then all the usuals like salad, corn etc.

This is one reason why I take my own food to BBQs, the very fact that there was satay sauce present with risk of contamination into other food could kill me :D

Never mind meat juices getting on any vegetables causing ethical concerns, that's minor by comparison! :D

This is one reason why I take my own food to BBQs, the very fact that there was satay sauce present could kill me :D

Never mind meat juices getting on any vegetables, that's minor by comparison! :D
Yeah obviously if my guests couldn't do peanuts I wouldn't serve satay. :D

Back
Top Bottom