Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vegan BBQ

Vegan mayo, vegan yoghurt etc are easily available these days and indinstinguishable from animal stuff. If you're doing beany things or falafel then minty yoghurt sauce is :thumbs:
I disagree. Vegan yoghurt and Mayo are too sweet in my experience.

So because I'm an idiot and wanted to make things harder for myself I made it from scratch, so it had loads of flavour anyway and it was precooked in a veg stock. I tried some of the "raw" stuff after this and was quite impressed. I think I might have overcooked the burgers I made from it on the day though as they were a bit tough, which is a shame as I put loads of effort it the day before, but on the day my attention was to focused on the pulled pork and ribs. :(

There is a thread here.

Cheers

Sounds like that very much depends on the brand because the vegan mayo I have is not sweet at all. It tastes absolute identical to the usual stuff.
How about yoghurt. My daughter bought Alpro by mistake and I was using it for Turkish breakfast eggs and it ruined the meal it was so sweet!

Not me. Nothing more dispiriting than finding your vegan option is a pile of vegetables. We still need protein.

But I'm massively not a fan of barbeques anyway. Just cook some nice food in the oven, will be nicer, on time and properly cooked

If you're paying for something then yes expect a fully rounded nutritional meal, if you're a guest eating for free then it is IMO bit rude to be dispirited by any sort of effort made on your behalf.
Like I doubt the meat eaters are expecting the host to restrict their intake of animal fats to within government health guidelines and make sure they eat their 5 a day.

I tend to take a food offering with me to bbqs and the like (I'm not vegan, but I was vegetarian for 25 years, OH is pescetarian and I have a peanut allergy, I'm not going to get in a huff expecting someone to cater for that, I'll take a big bowl of something we can eat to share with everyone)

Last edited:
You do need a separate BBQ so meat juices don’t mix so it may be better to serve something non BBQ’d. I would love this:
That looks amazing! How long does it take you to make? I'd love to have a go but it looks like a lot if work.

I'd probably leave out the coconut chutney unless I can use dessicated because dealing with a fresh one really is too much palaver for me.

That looks amazing! How long does it take you to make? I'd love to have a go but it looks like a lot if work.

I'd probably leave out the coconut chutney unless I can use dessicated because dealing with a fresh one really is too much palaver for me.
I used desiccated. I like cooking and do it in stages maybe 2-3 hours overall. It is worth it we all love it. I thought about omitting the coconut but it does work.
I used this recipe:

Most fake meat type vegan products will do fine on the barbecue. But sadly most home made bean burgers just don't - it's possible but takes a lot of trial and error getting something that will hold together just right - as generally these sort of things are better pan fried. I am a massive fan of tofu but really don't think it's likely to work well on the barbecue however well marinaded. And tempeh - it's so fucking hard to make tempeh nice, forget it unless you have really used it loads.

Most fake meat type vegan products will do fine on the barbecue. But sadly most home made bean burgers just don't - it's possible but takes a lot of trial and error getting something that will hold together just right - as generally these sort of things are better pan fried. I am a massive fan of tofu but really don't think it's likely to work well on the barbecue however well marinaded. And tempeh - it's so fucking hard to make tempeh nice, forget it unless you have really used it loads.
Cheers

Alternatively they are opening a Mumbai street food restaurant in Tooting that do them. It will be on the Mitcham road:

Marcus is an ex vegetarian so he makes an effort in the veg dept. There’s some “food for thought” here. He probably has some other stuff on his YouTube and in his books.

He also runs a Facebook page that is mercifully (mostly) free of the tiresome anti vegi shite you get on other bbq groups.

That looks good cheers.

Even got a piccalilli recipe (without compost bin though😥)

Marcus is an ex vegetarian so he makes an effort in the veg dept. There’s some “food for thought” here. He probably has some other stuff on his YouTube and in his books.

He also runs a Facebook page that is mercifully (mostly) free of the tiresome anti vegi shite you get on other bbq groups.

I do like that page. I give up FB for a little while, but it was one of the bits I enjoyed.

I've still not made the char sui pulled pork we talked about on there that I want to make (he posts on another Chinese food group)

How about a desert. Cavemen and women probably get strawberries and cream. What can I do for the vegans?

If I did bbq'd bananas injected with rum or brandy what can I substitute for the cream to go with it?

Good idea. BBQ banana split lengthways, insert vegan chocolate flambéed with spirit of choice. Non vegan alternative Cadburys caramel. So you can do both at once.

Back
Top Bottom