Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Veggie/vegan Burns Supper haggis alternatives

+1 for vegetarian haggis. I don't understand why it's not more widely available. Morrisons used to have it year round but nowadays they seem to struggle with procurement for most things so it's not easy to buy any more.

I found myself opining that Burns Supper is better than Christmas dinner.
I eat a lot of haggis but hardly ever do a proper roast for just myself because it feels like too much effort, so xmas dinner probably wins for me just through the novelty value.

Maybe a bit extravagant if it's not a big group meal for a special occasion but I don't see why all the components of both can't be served as one meal.

We were wondering if it would work as a Summer food. Maybe with a nice tomato salad and some boiled new potatoes or if it needs the gravy too much to work when it's sunny.

Haggis is absolutely an all-year-round food (I'm assuming the vegetarian ones taste similar enough to be used the same ways as meat ones - not actually tried a meat-free version yet but I will tomorrow.)

It's good with stuff like grilled/dry fried courgettes and/or buttery new potatoes, either cold or warm-not-hot. I did stuffed marrow with herby tomatoey haggis filling last year which was lush.

Gravy...? :hmm:
They're really good mixed together tbf, like an even better version of mince and tatties :oops:

• Wow
Reactions: Sue
Back
Top Bottom