Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Meat alternatives

Prefer dishes using traditional substitutes/alternatives, which are easy to get here; never enjoyed a fake meat that much more than the super-cheap TVP mince I used to buy years ago, bland but would take on whatever flavour you cooked into it. Also Sosmix :D
God I miss Sosmix!

Also can't get the Cauldron pates you used to get at the health food shop, and the TVP mince, it you floofed that up with a vegetable stock cube, you could make a full barrowload of mince that made great bolognese. 👍

I try to eat wholefood now, but I miss those processed meat alternatives, as a veggie 11-year-old, they were a saviour.

I'm the same as Moose, the more something looks and tastes like meat, the less I want it.

We don't need half as much protein as we end up eating on a meat diet, and what we do need is replaceable with non-processed plant proteins. But having some Linda McCartney in the freezer has saved me on many an occasion.

I often think of Linda, toiling away in her kitchen all these years. Despite being married to a Rolling Stone! I would apply to have her sanctified by the Vatican to be honest. 😍

I'm the same as Moose, the more something looks and tastes like meat, the less I want it.

We don't need half as much protein as we end up eating on a meat diet, and what we do need is replaceable with non-processed plant proteins. But having some Linda McCartney in the freezer has saved me on many an occasion.

I often think of Linda, toiling away in her kitchen all these years. Despite being married to a Rolling Stone! I would apply to have her sanctified by the Vatican to be honest. 😍
I like her mozzarella burgers. I steer clear as much as poss of UPFs these days, but do enjoy those. Rarely have them, but tasty.

I always wondered what Linda ate if I was having her sausages.

God I miss Sosmix!

It’s nearly that time in the thread where we indulge in a bit of Beanfeast nostalgia…

IMG_1143.jpeg

Also…

God I miss Sosmix!

Also can't get the Cauldron pates you used to get at the health food shop, and the TVP mince, it you floofed that up with a vegetable stock cube, you could make a full barrowload of mince that made great bolognese. 👍

I try to eat wholefood now, but I miss those processed meat alternatives, as a veggie 11-year-old, they were a saviour.
Back in the day, sosmix was just abut the only game in town for veggies, but I'm happy that there's so many alternatives available now.

Talking of Ye Olde Days, as I remember, Sainsbury's were one of the few supermarkets to offer soya milk for ages (it came in a brought yellow carton, IIRC) and it was pretty palatable compared to some of the hideous rival brands.

I've just watched the excellent Hairy Biker's "Best of British" episode about British vegetarian food which is well worth a watch and includes info about the history of vegetarianism in Britain as well as traditional recipes.

They cooked some fantastic looking Glamorgan Sausages, and since I mentioned those very things further up the thread, I thought I'd drop the link to the recipe here in case anyone wants to give it a go:

I've just watched the excellent Hairy Biker's "Best of British" episode about British vegetarian food which is well worth a watch and includes info about the history of vegetarianism in Britain as well as traditional recipes.

They cooked some fantastic looking Glamorgan Sausages, and since I mentioned those very things further up the thread, I thought I'd drop the link to the recipe here in case anyone wants to give it a go:

I had a housemate who worked for a fancy sausage place and he was allowed to bring home the plugs which didn't go into the casings and he was a sharing sort of housemate so we all ate a lot of sausage meatballs and patties.
It's the only time I've had Glamorgan sausage "meat", never saw them sold anywhere else I thought it was just that place that made them and didn't realise they are actually a thing so thanks for the recipe Epona I might try and make them. I always thought they were tasty (though it might just be the whole free food that I also didn't have to cook myself effect which makes most food more palatable by default)

Back
Top Bottom