Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is your preferred vegan/veggie milk?

What is your vegan/veggie milk of choice?

• Total voters
Oat is the runaway winner and you can get oat milk at the coop for 89 pence guys, coop's own. Check it out.

I much prefer oat milk to others, it's especially lovely in coffee and to make cocoa IMO, tastes nice and creamy.

I may have mentioned earlier in the thread that I do not like the taste of soya at all (the sole exception being soy sauce ofc which is a different beast altogether!) so it is oat milk all the way for me. We're not vegan but OH cannot tolerate too much lactose.

Oat is the runaway winner and you can get oat milk at the coop for 89 pence guys, coop's own. Check it out.
Oat milk is my favourite. Been using it for years now. The Lidl own brand one is very disappointing, though. It’s gritty. My local coop doesn’t stock its own brand one, so I didn’t know they did one, but I’ll look out for it.

I may have mentioned earlier in the thread that I do not like the taste of soya at all (the sole exception being soy sauce ofc which is a different beast altogether!) so it is oat milk all the way for me. We're not vegan but OH cannot tolerate too much lactose.

hmm. i might give it a try some time, i'm lactose intolerant, but get one of the lactose free milk alternatives rather than plant based.

Hoping someone can answer a quick question:

How is oat milk for making roux based white sauces?

I am thinking of making a cheese sauce tomorrow and the only milk I have in is a carton of longlife unsweetened oat milk - how is it in terms of sauce behaviour, thickening, is it prone to separating etc...

Cheers!
That's exactly what I would use for bechamel. That or unsweetened almond.

I know you won't need the recipe, it's just to clarify it's okay.

Having watched the film 'Cow' last night and been viscerally reminded of the horrors of dairy farming, I'm going back to oat milk. So glad Epona asked about the sauce, as I was just wondering the same thing. Cheers Calamity1971 !
I've been getting a twice weekly delivery of Oato from Milk&More....

£1.10 a pint

It's not quite as good as Oatly or some others but has the advantage of coming in a returnable bottle rather than a tetrapak which I reckon is worth a slight hit on taste...
A PINT?! Fucking hell! I'd want a litre for that!

I like Alpro Soya Chocolate Flavoured but want one without calcium supplementation.

Does anyone know of any other chocolate flavoured non-dairy milk? I thought there would be loads but I can‘t seem to find any. :confused:

I like Alpro Soya Chocolate Flavoured but want one without calcium supplementation.

Does anyone know of any other chocolate flavoured non-dairy milk? I thought there would be loads but I can‘t seem to find any. :confused:
Just mix up your own?

I much prefer oat milk to others, it's especially lovely in coffee and to make cocoa IMO, tastes nice and creamy.

Is he OK with cheese?

I was quite astonished to learn that the lactose is broken down in the cheese making process, and that a goodly number of lactose intolerant people can eat cheese.

For some hard cheeses, yes. Goat/Sheep cheese can also be OK as the milk is low-lactose compared to cow's milk. Soft (unmatured etc.) cheeses from cow's milk are less well tolerated.

But it depends greatly upon what is actually causing the bad reaction in someone - a lot of stuff gets lumped under the heading "lactose-intolerant" as the phrase works well as an easily understood shorthand for do not feed this person dairy.

In yoghurt, all the lactose is turned to lactase during the process of turning milk into yoghurt, but that isn't going to help someone who has a wider range of related amino-acids that they cannot handle, or a more general allergy to dairy.

For some hard cheeses, yes. Goat/Sheep cheese can also be OK as the milk is low-lactose compared to cow's milk. Soft (unmatured etc.) cheeses from cow's milk are less well tolerated.

But it depends greatly upon what is actually causing the bad reaction in someone - a lot of stuff gets lumped under the heading "lactose-intolerant" as the phrase works well as an easily understood shorthand for do not feed this person dairy.

In yoghurt, all the lactose is turned to lactase during the process of turning milk into yoghurt, but that isn't going to help someone who has a wider range of related amino-acids that they cannot handle, or a more general allergy to dairy.
Thanks for that. Very informative.

I was quite astonished to learn that the lactose is broken down in the cheese making process, and that a goodly number of lactose intolerant people can eat cheese.

The Mongols used to ferment the stuff to bypass the lactose and get mullered

Aye, I don't fancy it myself.

I think he said what he tried was fermented yak’s milk, whereas kumis is typically mare or donkey, so I might be wrong there.

Though I also read that fermenting yak milk just leads to kefir. Maybe he got so mashed on it he couldn’t remember which animal was involved.

From looking at the sugar content, it looks to me like you could make an alcoholic fermentation of human milk, though (it’s even better than donkey milk, but I’m not sure what the different fat profile would do).

We buy Oatly chocolate milk. Tastes great, although not sure if they add calcium.

Theoretically. My youngest has lactose free cheddar. Normal cheddar isn’t meant to have much more lactose but the last time she had it, it was baaad :(

She does seem ok with hard sheep’s cheese, and also Parmesan.

Watch out for calcium levels in non-dairy milks. Unless it's a fortified version they are often very low or non-existent. Especially organic.

Back
Top Bottom