Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is your preferred vegan/veggie milk?

What is your vegan/veggie milk of choice?

• Total voters

Hollis

bloody furious
So far I've tried soya and oat.

Oat is winning as far as coffee goes... Find soya doesn't mix too well..?

Sweetened soya in tea/cereal. Have coffee black anyway. But did try oatly barista once which was pleasant, but it's double the price.

Not tried oat but it's best for coffee apparently.

Everything else doesn't mix well at all but I like almond.

So far I've tried soya and oat.

Oat is winning as far as coffee goes... Find soya doesn't mix too well..?
Any own-brand soya for tea. Oatly Semi for coffee/cereals.

Almond comes with a hefty environmental impact (but still not as bad as dairy, obvs) and doesn't taste very nice at all for me - it's too watery. I don't think I've tried rice but I'm happy with soya/oat anyway.

I like oat in coffee, I sometimes get the long-life one and although it looks kind of watery, it tastes quite creamy which goes really well in coffee and in cereals.

I would use soya in cooking/baking if I was going to substitute for dairy, simply because the protein content means it behaves in a familiar way in sauces and baking. I don't like the taste of it in beverages though (I just don't like soya in most of its forms, soy sauce is the exception)

Soya milk doesn’t work in coffee unless you warm the milk up before it meets the coffee. Even then it sometimes curdles if you don’t drink it quickly enough.

I don’t like anything but soya milk in tea tho.

Coconut in coffee and on cereal. I’m not vegan or lactose intolerant so I’ve carried on with cows milk in tea. I haven’t found one I like much yet to replace it.

Depends what you want it for. The curdling property that makes soya so unappealing in a brew is perfect for baking vegan cakes, replacing eggs and milk if you curdle it with a couple of spoons of vinegar.

Depends what you want it for. The curdling property that makes soya so unappealing in a brew is perfect for baking vegan cakes, replacing eggs and milk if you curdle it with a couple of spoons of vinegar.
I haven't had soya curdle in my tea for - literally - years! It's only the shitty brands that do that now.

Oat seems to be the most ecologically sound...we can grow oats in the UK...though i wonder where the Oatly oats come from?

Oat seems to be the most ecologically sound...we can grow oats in the UK...though i wonder where the Oatly oats come from?
Organic Oat Drink Chilled. This product is what Oatly is all about. Organic oats from the Swedish countryside, pure water and a little salt. That's it.

Organic Oat Drink Chilled. This product is what Oatly is all about. Organic oats from the Swedish countryside, pure water and a little salt. That's it.
Well Sweden relatively close
Soya and almonds particularly damaging I gather

(Good Hemp) Hemp milk recently hit the shelves is from hemp grown in Devon - its good.
640x640.jpg

Well Sweden relatively close
Soya and almonds particularly damaging I gather

(Good Hemp) Hemp milk recently hit the shelves is from hemp grown in Devon - its good.
640x640.jpg
Never tried that . Seen it but the price put me off. Next trip to shops I'll get one and see.

Never tried that . Seen it but the price put me off. Next trip to shops I'll get one and see.
In my local supermarket Oatly is £1.70, Hemp is £2...Oat is often run out though so have gone Hemp a few times. I dont use a lot of milk though so it lasts quite a while
Lemon juice in tea :thumbs:

Think I've tried them all except that one. Rice milk was bloody awful. I fancy trying something new and hope I like it. I have soya milk , soya chunks, tofu. I'm basically 90% soy!
Plus that's got the omega 3&6 in. Will report back :thumbs:

yeah Rice tastes...different...oat and hemp much a muchness i think

Rice milk tastes like rice. Now I love rice - I love the smell of rice, I love the taste of rice, I expect it to actually be rice though, having my tea smell and taste of rice is something I cannot really adjust to (given that there are alternatives!)

I think moose might be talking about coffee? Might be wrong mind, it's not unusual .
I don't know, tbh - I don't have milk in drinks. It used to have a bad reputation though. But if you add cider vinegar to soya milk, it instantly goes weird and thick and is idea for replacing both milk and eggs in a cake. :cool:

Oat milk! I love that it is so good that I'll never go back to cows milk routinely. I cant profess to be dairy free but cutting out cows milk and butter has cut my fat intake down a lot.

I love that my coffee tastes just as good with it as with cows milk and that I can get fresh oat milk from the fridge rather than long life and have a choice of skimmed, semi or whole. Also oats are great for mood, and skin.

generic supermarket unsweetened soy.
I only use it for dessert - though sometimes I'll drink it as it is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom