Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

he'd served two terms and wasn't eligible anyway.

your point caller?

(i know what it is, i just want to see you say it.)
Do I really have to explain this? You've missed the point - We were talking about the Clinton impeachment - streathamite was saying the reason the republicans went after him so hard was revenge for the Nixon impeachment, I was saying he deserved to be gone after hard because he is absolute scum. Just a shame it was those guys going after him.

I'm sure some posting on this thread will know the answer to this, but ......

To what extent could/will postal voters sending their ballots in early make any difference??? :confused:

I could Google,, but you know! I respect Urban's knowledge .... and Googling skills ;) :)

Clinton is vermin and deserved to be run out of office tbf.
Sure, but by that logic so has pretty much every President, with the arguable exception of Lincoln, FDR and possibly St Jimmy of Carter.
Either way, it's not really an impeachable offence.
Nor, in truth, is an extramarital blowjob, or else the Frenh Third, Fourth and Fifth Republics would never have had so much as a single President lasting the distance.

Sure, but by that logic so has pretty much every President, with the arguable exception of Lincoln, FDR and possibly St Jimmy of Carter.
Either way, it's not really an impeachable offence.
Nor, in truth, is an extramarital blowjob, or else the Frenh Third, Fourth and Fifth Republics would never have had so much as a single President lasting the distance.
What happened between Clinton and Lewinsky was a gross abuse of power by a serial sexual predator, not 'an extramarital blowjob'.

Interesting piece in NYTimes saying that Trump's actually quite weak.

Trump is down in most swing state polls, tied in Georgia and barely ahead in Texas. His most sycophantic enabler, Lindsey Graham, is neck-and-neck in South Carolina. The president is counting on his new Supreme Court nominee to save his presidency, and she may, if the vote count gets to the Supreme Court. But a rushed confirmation is unlikely to help Trump electorally, because in polls a majority of Americans say the winner of the election should make the appointment.

Trump may be behaving like a strongman, but he is weaker than he’d like us all to believe. Autocrats who actually have the power to fix elections don’t announce their plans to do it; they just pretend to have gotten 99 percent of the vote. It’s crucial that Trump’s opponents emphasize this, because unlike rage, excessive fear can be demobilizing. There’s a reason TV villains like to say, “Resistance is futile.”

What happened between Clinton and Lewinsky was a gross abuse of power by a serial sexual predator, not 'an extramarital blowjob'.
If you really want to get on your highest moral horse, Reverend, go right ahead....but it was consensual acts between two willing, coszenting adults, the list of US President who have gone a whole lot further down that line is a fairly extensive one, and the only person who really has grounds for outrage is Hillary.

Either way, ridiculous grounds for impeachment. Especially when you consider Nixon wasn't impeached for the P:arrot's Beak, JFK for serial affairs and the Bay Of Pigs, Reagan for Iran Contra, Dubya for GW2...the list is very long indeed. You do seem to lack a sense of proportion on this one.

I wish...

I understand that betting odds mean nothing in terms of outcome. But the odds have shortened, which is indicative of mood etc.

He really could win it.

Think its fair enough. He cares enough about it to not want to start one before January, smart use of a nomination. Putin's got a nomination too can't say the same about him and invading places

I thought this gave good analysis and detail in Saturday's Guardian

Guardian headline said:
Recipe for chaos : 2020 election threatens to snap a US already pushed to the limit
Guardian headline said:

The November election will be plagued by voter suppression, foreign interference, disinformation and a contested supreme court vacancy

From the introduction :

David Smith said:
Should Trump refuse to leave office, America could be plunged into a constitutional crisis and find itself in unchartered territory. Whatever the outcome, there is a high risk that a significant chunk of the population will not accept the winner as legitimate, leading to angry street protests in a country flush with guns and a fear that, after decades of corrosion, a system that was once the envy of the world is beyond repair.

:( :(

But here is some optimism about polls .......

Observer headline said:
Only a fool would write off Trump. But there’s a reason he’s so desperate
Observer headline said:
With the candidates about to begin their debates, the president is making no gains in the polls. Can anything shift public opinion?

Michael Cohen said:
..... the outlines of the presidential race are quite clear and have been for some time: Donald Trump, the incumbent, is deeply unpopular with the American people, is trailing badly in opinion polls and there is little indication that this will change in the five-and-a-half weeks until election day.

Indeed, the defining characteristic of the Trump era in US politics is that Americans don’t like the president. Never during his nearly four years in office has Trump surpassed 50% in surveys. Since the autumn of 2019, Trump has never led Democratic nominee Joe Biden in head-to-head polling. The closest he came was in late February, before Covid-19 hit the United States, when he trailed by four points.

it is fascinating. There's no way back from this, it is how all elections will be now surely, micro-targetted ads to persuade or deter depending on what they know about you, which is a lot.

Last edited:
it is fascinating. There's no way back from this, it is how all elections will be now surely, micro-targetted ads to persuade or deter depending on what they know about you, which is a lot.
Which is what we all realised fairly early on in the days of Facebook...except perhaps we thought it was all going to be about people trying to sell us things, not steal elections... :(

just for the record

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom